Pioneer SX-1980 in Austin BIG $$$$

Boonaroo

Looks beautiful but they want a lot of cash for it!!!!

https://austin.craigslist.org/ele/d/round-rock-pioneer-sx-1980-stereo/6804318315.html

00808_7PFgwasrEQN_600x450.jpg

00d0d_e9zUZNllEJf_600x450.jpg

00101_hFNa9dIfhA3_600x450.jpg

It looks nice. But, the wooden case does not look original to me. It appears to be a newly made case. Of solid wood as opposed to the factory veneered one. For that money, I would want 100% original, mint. But, that's just me and I could be mistaken about the case.

Original case.

Might be a nice example, and they do bring that money if truly in excellent condition. Big market like Austin, ... might happen.

I just recently (couple months ago) saw one change hands locally (Pittsburgh) at that price--but it was a total restoration with documentation. Price is not unheard of these days, but for that money, I'd want a LOT of verifiable paperwork to go with it--not just "works great".

I think there is more upside as an investment for SX-1980 than a WOPL amp. As far as Sonics I’d imagine WOPL would win.
Agreed on both counts. If you can get them cheaply grab as many as you can locate by cheaply I mean 1k or less even one that does not power on will easily bring 1.5k on Ebay

I also hate when sellers use the term "unmolested", for that price I'd rather it say "serviced" or "refurbed."

And L@@K is a reason to just drive over and beat someone with a white-van speaker.

Personally I prefer "unmolested".

"serviced", "refurbed", "recapped", "restored" and other such descriptions are ambiguous and in many cases I end up having to unf*** somebody's shoddy work. I will (and do) pay more for an excellent un-touched piece than anything worked on by amateurs, hobbyists, and most "stereo shops" / "technicians". In one case I bought a very nice unit that was worked on by a shop that is supposed to be reputable near Cleveland, once inside I found that somebody either didn't know what he was doing or didn't care (the missing screws and marring around the faceplate bolts from pliers should have tipped me off).

There are a few people & shops who's work IMO increases the value, when documented and traceable to that individual.

Just an opinion / experience.

Yeah, I'm in the process of fixing a Noah Schumacher Sansui 9090 where he somehow managed to take the rear AC fuse out of the circuit completely, and had it set at 100v, so it cooked some of the power supply transistors. I'd much rather work on something original than a messed-with unit.

And L@@K is a reason to just drive over and beat someone with a white-van speaker.

Personally I prefer "unmolested".

"serviced", "refurbed", "recapped", "restored" and other such descriptions are ambiguous and in many cases I end up having to unf*** somebody's shoddy work. I will (and do) pay more for an excellent un-touched piece than anything worked on by amateurs, hobbyists, and most "stereo shops" / "technicians". In one case I bought a very nice unit that was worked on by a shop that is supposed to be reputable near Cleveland, once inside I found that somebody either didn't know what he was doing or didn't care (the missing screws and marring around the faceplate bolts from pliers should have tipped me off).

There are a few people & shops who's work IMO increases the value, when documented and traceable to that individual.

Just an opinion / experience.

I can comply with you if the purchaser has the ability to refurb a large unit like this themselves, but to send it off is going to cost $800-1000 in parts/labor, not even taking into account the shipping.

Everyone wants an untouched item and then they want to touch it and F$#@k it up, as such it then becomes worthless. How many times have I seen a good one owner car fall into the hands of some novice and end up in a pole within 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom