Subs for batwing outputs 2SD587 & 2SB617?

slimecity

Have a look at this amp - I may bid on it - looks like a challenge!

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1944936412

One set of outputs are fried. Modern equivalents? Is it worth getting this amp? It is well-regarded - just not sure if I will ever be able to fix that pegged meter......

I also have two other "fixer uppers" at the moment to work on......

I did find this thread which recommends mje15030 and mje15031. These seem like a lower power choice? Are these MJE types still the consensus?

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/akai-aa1135-2sb617-2sd587-replacments.671136/

Thanks!

Hi slimecity, pity it wasn't just a case of the pre out/main in jumpers missing. If those batwing outputs are shorted l would personally just re drill the heatsinks to accept any TO-247 or TO-3P that matches the original specs as closely as possible.

That meter may just have a build up of that white corrosion causing it to jam up. Might also be more major of course.

Sorry l cannot comment on the NEC itself as have never even seen one before. It looks like it might be a dual mono design though, is this correct? Looks like it could be something interesting to me, also has a bit of an Akai look.

Haha, l have just realised in your original post you said it "IS" well regarded, l read too quickly and thought you said is it well regarded, my mistake.

Let us know if you decide to buy it slimecity :thumbsup:.

Other possible replacement devices are FJP1943R/FJP5200 at 80W Pd in TO-220 cases, or the FJA4213/FJA4313 at 150W Pd in TO-3P cases.

I replaced cousins of these in a kenwood KR4070 - there is a thread on it in kenwood about a kenwood that went silent....

BUT!

I have similar D588, B618s here you can have (I have to retest them, been in a drawer for a while) but do not discount the FPJ subs...

An MCS 3865 is the same amp if it helps. I would wait to get the unit before saying the outputs are bad.

index.php

Batwings... They don't even come close to resembling batwings.
220px-US_Air_Force_B-2_Spirit.jpg
<--- batwings...:beerchug:

I know, I know.. That is what they have been refereed to for a long time.

Probably named by a person who has never seen a bat.:idea::dunno:

thread crap over...
Please continue gentlemen.....

Last edited:
If you want to go TO-220 I'd suggest the FJP1943/FJP5200's if you can get them. Otherwise the MJE15032/33 are quite a bit superior to the MJE15030/31s

EDIT: Onsemi announced the discontinuation the FJP5200 (but not the FJP1943 yet...) so get them while you can. Also the R grade 2SC5200 is being canned (same die as the FJP5200).

Last edited:
I had to replace some batwing transistors not to long ago. I took a screwdriver and pried the TO 220 transistor off the batwing heatsink and glued the new one on with JB weld. So far it seems to be dissipating the heat just fine.

Thanks all.

No further help needed as I didnt win the damn amplifier after all.

I didnt see the need to pay over $150 NZD to get it - but someone else did.

Stink one, and in the absolute shite condition it was in, too.

I havent seen one of those come up for sale before in NZ, having said that

Back
Top Bottom