I have been considering an AC Cobra 427 replica

rjw1678

I am 63 and I have always been interested in Shelby's AC Cobras. I know I can not afford a real one. I would like to own a rude crude over powered sports car while I am still young enough to enjoy it. My only problem is that the AC Cobra replica was built to 1965 specs in 2009 and I do not know how the Delaware DMV would handle registering and inspecting an AC Cobra replica.

My daily driver is a 2016 Subaru WRX Limited Stage 1.

Kit or pre-built? What power plant?

That is not a machine you will want to park in accessible areas for long. Best to be able to keep your eye on it while you dine, or whatever.

Enjoy,
Rich P

It has a Ford 460 V8 crate motor. It is a kit car. I started reading thru the Delaware Motor Vehicle code and it looks like it could be classified as a street rod as long as it is considered a kit.

I've loved them since I saw the first one in the 60's. Beautiful cars, and incredibly fast. Go for it, and enjoy! Just drive it sensibly.

Nice daily driver btw. :)

Terribly twitchy cars with so much power on such a short wheel base, its not the safe machine to drive fast your Subaru is so be safe.

I'll stick with my Challenger Hellcat Redeye--797 neck-breaking hp and all the creature comforts of a modern car. Probably in the same price bracket as that repro Cobra--that is, if the Cobra is done "right".

You have to be careful of kit cars because they are widow makers. A 1972 Karman Ghia will take any kit car in the corners without risking your life. I put a Chrysler 273 and 727 torque-flight automatic tranny into a Miata that handled well because the engine trans combo weighed the same as the OEM assembly that I removed. Too many supposed sports cars have engines that are too heavy placed over the top of the front suspension and Corvette is one of them. If you just want something to drive around carefully and not park anywhere it won’t really matter, just keep it in a straight line when you press down on the throttle. A ‘67 Mustang with a 351C, gas shocks and sway bars then don’t forget an alarm would be a safer and more practical choice.

I am 63 and I have always been interested in Shelby's AC Cobras. I know I can not afford a real one. I would like to own a rude crude over powered sports car while I am still young enough to enjoy it. My only problem is that the AC Cobra replica was built to 1965 specs in 2009 and I do not know how the Delaware DMV would handle registering and inspecting an AC Cobra replica.

My daily driver is a 2016 Subaru WRX Limited Stage 1.
There's No inspection here in Michigan and several other States...
Maybe you could Register it with a friend or family member in an other State at their Address but in your Name..like a
"second home" address. .

If you want one, get one. Everyone has Vette's, Chryslers and Mustangs.
My only suggestion would be to shop wisely, there is one you have your eye on but it could be an impulse buy. The 460 is indeed a beast but it's heavy. One with a small block will still scare you to death but will handle better.
Factory 5 kits are based on Mustang donor cars and may be the most affordable. Good luck!

The big block version would definitely not be as much fun to drive as a small block. A friend of mine built a Sebring kit car. It looked like an Austin Healey but had a 5 liter Ford motor. Harry swapped out the fuel injection for a carb to increase the horsepower. and get rid of the computer. The 4 speed automatic would break the tires loose every time it shifted if you kept your foot in it. It handled surprisingly well considering all the weight up front.
A small block Cobra would be similar.

If the OP wants a fun driver, he already has one, and I suspect that is not his purpose in considering this car. If he wants to cruise and listen to those side pipes sing then this should work out just fine. It looks beautiful in the photo, and appearances would lead one to believe it is fairly well sorted. I would definitely try to have someone who is familiar with them look it over. There were a few different manufacturers of those fiberglass bodies, with some better than others. Do some research, if you haven't already. Check for visible clues of the build quality, but definitely have a qualified mechanic check it as well.

As someone who bought a 71 Volvo P1800 as a daily driver a number of years ago, I can appreciate the allure of a car you have always liked. I took a mechanic along with me who was an expert on the model. He approved it, I bought it, and it has worked out well. It appraised afterwards for about what I paid, so I did alright. There are a bunch of Cobras out there. Buy carefully, get your moneys worth, and enjoy the heck out of it.
And once again, be careful out there among the SUVs.

I got to drive a Factory Five replica once and will never forget it. Even with a modest 5.0 from a Fox body 'stang, they can scare you silly. Amazing what losing a thousand lbs can do :).

If you look, you can find some with BMW suspension and brakes.

Like this:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-backdraft-cobra-shelby-replica-2/

I want one and will pull the trigger when I get too old for motorcycles. Keep a healthy respect for it and you'll do fine...

jblnut

Kit or pre-built? What power plant?

That is not a machine you will want to park in accessible areas for long. Best to be able to keep your eye on it while you dine, or whatever.

Enjoy,
Rich P
This ^.

I sold my hand built hotrod because I couldn't leave it anywhere.

The original had the 289.

Nothing wrong with a 429, but it is an awfully big motor in such a small car, the 460 or 427 not any better lol. I would think the 289 or 302 the most fun in this car unless wanting to drag race everybody on the street lol. Really needs those steamroller tires out back if wanting to do anything other than shred rubber.

The original had the 289.
Yes, but he's not buying an original, believe it or not the 289 is a pretty rare motor today. That's why I said a 302 as they are using them more for these cars as well as the 351w. The car would be cheaper with these motors in it opposed to a 427. There will also be far more to choose from with a 302/351

Looks great in the pic! Go for it or similar & if you don't know what to look for it would be best to find help checking it out. You can take a lot of wt out of a 460 by putting aluminum heads, intake manifold and water pump and Maybe loose 130 lbs , but 100 lbs for sure without the aluminum water pump, so you can get it close to 600 lbs. which will help the handling noticeably. 429 was based on the same block , but with a shorter 3.59" stroke crank for more rpms. The 460 was 3.85".

As you probably know you can even find aluminum body replica's , but of course more $.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom