Ibemiked

I just got back my Bose 901 Series II Eq from the tech!
Luxman C-1010 control center
Technics SH-8055 EQ
Denon DRA-435R Receiver
Sony CA7ES cd
Technics SL-QX300 Turntable
QSC 1400 Amp
I have all components fed to Luxman out to Technics EQ to Denon receiver. The Denon is powering a pair of Cerwin Vega 217R's the Denon has preouts sent to the 901 Eq which feeds the QSC 1400 Amp. The 901's are powered by the QSC Bridged @600WPC! If you really want the 901s at full potential you have to feed them serious power! This setup sounds amazing! I was initially a little pissed off thinking the tech pulled a fast one on me because the Eq sounded scratchy! But.. it was the rca cables I was initially using. You really need to use vintage RCA cables with the 901 eq. The monster type cable ends will touch. After switching the cables out the scratchiness was gone and I'm impressed! Especially with the 901 217r combo! The Denon receiver is only rated at 50wpc but it's a solid 50 and these 217r's are super efficient! The 217r's have incredible Bass and the 901's provide top notch mid and highs! I'm happy with the result!

Attachments

• IMG_0358.JPG
    IMG_0358.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0359.JPG
    IMG_0359.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0360.JPG
    IMG_0360.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0361.JPG
    IMG_0361.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0362.JPG
    IMG_0362.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0363.JPG
    IMG_0363.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 202
Lucky for him! Clickbait thread title BTW.
OP also seems a bit confused/mis-informed on strapping amplifiers for mono operation.

The 901's are powered by the QSC Bridged @600WPC
If you have the amplifier connected properly for strapped mono operation, there is no "per channel", unless you have a second 1400 for the other speaker.

The door stop 1400(that's what they're best used for) is 200wpc @8 300wpc @4 or 600 watts @8 bridged mono.

The Bose 901s need to be set-up in a bit more open area. Since most of the sound you hear is reflected sound (from 8 speakers per unit), the backs of the speakers and the space around them, including equipment in the middle and side walls, need to be somewhat distanced so that the effects of the reflected sound can do their thing.

Much of the criticism of the 901s came from owners who did not set them up correctly. They need lots of room around each speaker.

I've got two pair of these Series 2 with walnut trim kits. Love them! Try feeding them 60watt/ch tube amps. They sound totally lush. For how small 901s are.. they do some pretty amazing stuff. Bose 901 midrange capability is quite good in my opinion.

Last edited:
I recently flipped a pair of 901 series IV with Chrome stands and EQ. I fed it direct from my Counterpoint amp as opposed to Tape Loop since my VAC Pre didn't play well with the standard connections.

With good clean power, they can sound decent. But, you need a big room with open wall space behind and next to them if properly setup. I didn't care for the sound compared to several speakers I already have so I flipped them for a nice return.

They still lack in several areas compared to my Dynaudio, JM Labs, ans Clearfield speakers I use.

They would sound even more impressive if they were positioned the correct way!

That holds true for pretty much any speaker "system". More so for "reflective" types such as the 901 series. Their design requires proper spacing from each other *and* proper position relative to the walls behind them for the reflected waves to come into proper phase. The 901 was meant for larger rooms where there was room to space them correctly. A lot of people "tucked them in" to a smaller area, then complained how "bad" they sounded. They simply couldn't breathe. Any system with a rear firing driver be it a tweeter, mid, bass port, or even rear passive absolutely needs proper setup. Some all front firing, such as the Polk SDA also required they be spaced a certain distance, and positioned straight out instead of angled in for proper imaging of the Stereo Dimensional Array. Many people also ignore their environment. Hard surfaces reflect, softer surfaces absorb. Many years ago I knew a guy that had 909's set up in his "sound room" and claimed they really sucked. Well DuH, the walls were covered in damping material. :whip:

The Bose 901s need to be set-up in a bit more open area. Since most of the sound you hear is reflected sound (from 8 speakers per unit), the backs of the speakers and the space around them, including equipment in the middle and side walls, need to be somewhat distanced so that the effects of the reflected sound can do their thing.

Much of the criticism of the 901s came from owners who did not set them up correctly. They need lots of room around each speaker.
I have the manual and am aware of the placement requirements. You can't tell
From the pictures but the Speakers they are sitting on top are about 6 inches from the wall and the cabinets are as deep as 2 901 speakers, the 901s are The recommended 12 inches from the wall. More than 18" off the ground and the proper distance from the wall on the sides. The placement is on point and they sound perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_0364.PNG
    IMG_0364.PNG
    193.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0365.PNG
    IMG_0365.PNG
    157.2 KB · Views: 14
OP also seems a bit confused/mis-informed on strapping amplifiers for mono operation.

If you have the amplifier connected properly for strapped mono operation, there is no "per channel", unless you have a second 1400 for the other speaker.

The door stop 1400(that's what they're best used for) is 200wpc @8 300wpc @4 or 600 watts @8 bridged mono.
Whatever.. 600 Watts bridged Mono you obviously knew what I meant. I know how to hook it up but I phrased it improperly. Any amp that can be used for years and years for hours and hours at a time without breaking down is much more than a doorstop. So many pretentious people on here sometimes. Thanks for the snobby correction comments.

They are placed properly except they are a little close to the stereo cabinet on the inside. You can't tell from the picture but they are the recommended distance from the wall which is 12". I have the manual and know how to follow instructions.

Except you missed a few "little" details. :D Number one is the word "recommended". Every room is different in some way and will need "tweeking" to get them "just right" Take a look at the manual and you will notice the speakers are on a pedestal. Your Cerwin Vega "stands" are blocking a lot of the reflections and contributing to the perceived "lack of bass". Plus the CV's are "bass heavy" by comparison. BTW, I like my CV HED UT12R (slightly modded) towers ;). They are also "reflective" with a rear firing mid, and huge 6" rear port and need spaced/positioned correctly. Your TV is also blocking and/or redirecting some reflections. And as you already mentioned, they are way too close to your "equipment". Despite all that, they still sound wonderful to you so Rock On Brother! :rockon:

I didn't intend to come off snobbish, just trying to help you get the most out of your 901's. The current way you have them place has 4 drivers from each speaker being blocked by your equipment. Hanging them would help or raise them above your equipment.

They would sound even more impressive if they were positioned the correct way!
That comment was directed to the person who corrected me for saying 600WPC.. you're right about the placement. I'd love to hang them, my wife might even be onboard with that idea. The Cerwin Vega 217r's they are sitting on are actually have rear firing horns and are about 6 inches from the wall and they are about 24 inches in depth. The 901s are the "recommended" 12 inches from the wall. You can't really tell from the pictures. With the current placement they sound really good! Bass, mid and treble! The Bass from the CV's is much more powerful though.. But they should be with a 15" woofer & with just 50WPC from the old Denon receiver I'm using. I'm going to switch the Denon out with my Mcintosh 4280 once I get it back
From being serviced. The Mac 4280 I'm pretty sure is 100WPC but has a problem with the left channel going out intermittently (common issue). Hopefully it's an easy (cheap) fix.. I appreciate your input, sorry if you thought I was directing that comment your way.

If YOU are happy, that is all that matters. It doesn't matter WHAT others think.
I just want people who are interested in purchasing Bose 901s to get an opinion from someone who owns and appreciates them. There are a lot of people who bash Bose speakers. Some Bose stuff is definitely "overrated" but in my humble opinion the Bose 901 Series II's definitely do not fall into the category. And yes I am happy with what I have and I'm not seeking approval.

I have the manual and am aware of the placement requirements. You can't tell
From the pictures but the Speakers they are sitting on top are about 6 inches from the wall and the cabinets are as deep as 2 901 speakers, the 901s are The recommended 12 inches from the wall. More than 18" off the ground and the proper distance from the wall on the sides. The placement is on point and they sound perfect.

I'm concerned about all the stuff in between the speakers. About half of the rear firing drivers are directing their energy into the back of your system's components. While recommend positions are fine, your Bose manual didn't show a bunch of stuff in between the speakers. In fact, I personally would not really put anything between the speakers unless it was very low level and out of the way.

There doesn't really sound like any 901 "bashing" to me?? Most of the criticism, seems to be around "placement??" And it seems like a lot of the advise is a big room and to:
hang-em-high-1968-2.jpg

That and it appears that the Tulip shaped stands are about more than looks, who knew?? :)

I just want people who are interested in purchasing Bose 901s to get an opinion from someone who owns and appreciates them. There are a lot of people who bash Bose speakers. Some Bose stuff is definitely "overrated" but in my humble opinion the Bose 901 Series II's definitely do not fall into the category. And yes I am happy with what I have and I'm not seeking approval.
Why dwell on the negative. You own what is probably the best selling and iconic speaker of all time. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom