Do you know what I loved about radio?

dondoucette

Too Many Projects
Back in the day I used to turn on a radio in several rooms in my house and have the same music playing throughout my home, including the garage and sometimes my vehicle on the driveway, with zero latency, just a house full of music without having to turn one source up really loud to be heard elsewhere or without having to purchase special Bluetooth transceivers, or running wires all over the place.

I haven’t listened to radio in years (too many ads and other crap now), don’t even own a receiver, but 30-40 years ago I listened all the time and I loved it. :music:

Back in the day I used to turn on a radio in several rooms in my house and have the same music playing throughout my home, including the garage and sometimes my vehicle on the driveway, with zero latency, just a house full of music without having to turn one source up really loud to be heard elsewhere or without having to purchase special Bluetooth transceivers, or running wires all over the place.

I haven’t listened to radio in years (too many ads and other crap now), don’t even own a receiver, but 30-40 years ago I listened all the time and I loved it. :music:
I did this very thing yesterday...

Growing up, it's all I had. I enjoyed late night listening to an old Lloyd's AM/FM/SW AA5 radio. I would listen to the atomic clock on SW and on Sunday evenings I would listen to the Dr. Demento show on FM. :D

I still like to listen to Coast to Coast AM every now and then on my restored wooden boxed AA5 Howard brand radio.

Coast to Coast AM can be a hoot at times, just be prepared to take it with some salt. Unless your doc say to mind the BP.

I listen to radio all day at work, but I wouldn't be upset if it had better variety. I know what time of day it is based on who is playing.

When I discovered that one could vicariously travel to other places without leaving your room. AM "travel", evenings into night, was a revelation, short wave an adventure. The implicit promise of the foreign cities one might visit, right there on those radio dials, was almost as miraculous as the fulfillment on a good night.

I can catch old time radio(late 60's) in bits and pieces on my local NPR station when they give free reign to local DJ's. Friday night jazz 8-11, Sunday night Rock 8-10, Tuesday Jazz 8-10. Plus nearly 24 hour classical on the areas 2nd NPR station. I love not having to always make a decision of what I'll hear.

I guess I am lucky. I'm not exactly out in the boonies, but not urban or big city either.
I am using 8 FM presets on my preamp. All local or local-ish stations, mostly oldies or classic rock, one is a country station.
Being local there are ads for local businesses. Our local newspaper is still publishing as well.
There are a few other FM stations I could add though their signal strength is often low.

I use iPeng on iPhone to play and synchronize across multiple LMS enabled streamers around the house with internet radio, subscription service (Qobuz) or music from server. :)

Shared music server feeding players located in different areas controlled by iPhone.

Play different content by location or choose one of many sources and play that everywhere.

Last edited:
No tinfoil in my hat but im just too old to have a microphone turned on listening to everything I say, gives me the damn creeps.

In the early 80’s i wrote a short story about the government convincing people to allow a tracking device in every newly born baby in case the baby got lost or kidnapped the police would then drive around with a device that would beep faster when they got closer to the baby. In my story the government used the technology to find persons of interest for whatever reason they deemed necessary.
The story was a hit and we discussed how scary it would be to give up ones privacy and anonymity under the guise of safety.

Well look at us now... huh!

Alexa, play XXXX music "everywhere" Same thing, better sound, no commercials.

I live in an apartment so off hours I play low so not to bother the neighbors. "On" hours anything goes and they know it. So very early this morning I got up and tuned the bedroom system (Rotel receiver, AR 18) to my favorite station on low while I straightened up and started laundry. Working my way out I tuned in the main living area (MCS 3125, Adcom, Infinity CS3008) while I cleaned up from last night and did some dishes. Then into the office for some internet trolling (Onkyo A-7090, Kef 103.2). All playing low for a couple hours suits me just fine before I shut it down and (maybe) rock out with the main system.

As simple as Alexa and multiple wi-fi speaker setups, right? Maybe simpler! …..and why should good, unused gear sit on a shelf (with the rest of it, lol)

I use to love Dr Demento, Charlie Tuna, (stay tuna-ed), and Karl Haas. Especially Karl Haas. This was in my Jimi/Beatles/Steppenwolf days, but his presentation of classical music was cool. He always explained something about the music first, which made it interesting. I miss him. Nowadays, radio is just for talk radio and news. As a music format, it's dead.

Artie, I'm sorry to hear that there's not a viable music station in Jacksonville, a town that brought us The Allmans, Ray Charles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Fred Durst, Molly Hatchet and others. I really dislike any talk radio unless I'm actually learning something. Commercials on music radio are a downer but I DO like some of the insights that the radio DJs bring to certain songs and artists, like Dr. Demento and others did in the past.

Back
Top Bottom