AR77XB tracking issues.

tinkerwalsh

Hey All -

Im having some tracking issues with my AR77 wondering if anyone knows what this could be? It seems to be skipping every once and awhile over certain records that I never noticed any issues on before on my Pioneer pl-518. Ive got a AT95e on at 2.0 grams. I was hoping to swap my Grado Green onto the AR but noticed that the screws I have are too long? I could cut the screws down in order to make em work.

The headshell on the AR is in okay shape - Im thinking about buying a aftermarket one just to have a backup. Anyone have any recommendations?

Best,

Dave

Hey All -

Im having some tracking issues with my AR77 wondering if anyone knows what this could be? It seems to be skipping every once and awhile over certain records that I never noticed any issues on before on my Pioneer pl-518. Ive got a AT95e on at 2.0 grams. I was hoping to swap my Grado Green onto the AR but noticed that the screws I have are too long? I could cut the screws down in order to make em work.

The headshell on the AR is in okay shape - Im thinking about buying a aftermarket one just to have a backup. Anyone have any recommendations?

Best,

Dave
the screws cannot extend more the 0.100" above the cart body. that's the maximum depth of the threaded hole. 3 x 48 screw. tracking issues can be one of several issues. most common one is binding of the vertical pivots, second it dressing of the arm wires as they exit the pivot block. they may be twisted too much causing too much antiskate, not enough causing too much skating, and they can interfere with tracking weight, adding/reducing the tracking weight across the album. check tracking weight at outside of album, and then in the runout groove area. if you have a shure scale, you can check sticktion in the arm bearings. gently blow on the headshell, the arm should teeter totter evenly, smoothly.

the screws cannot extend more the 0.100" above the cart body. that's the maximum depth of the threaded hole. 3 x 48 screw. tracking issues can be one of several issues. most common one is binding of the vertical pivots, second it dressing of the arm wires as they exit the pivot block. they may be twisted too much causing too much antiskate, not enough causing too much skating, and they can interfere with tracking weight, adding/reducing the tracking weight across the album. check tracking weight at outside of album, and then in the runout groove area. if you have a shure scale, you can check sticktion in the arm bearings. gently blow on the headshell, the arm should teeter totter evenly, smoothly.

thanks again marc for sharing your knowledge. its super helpful!

i will start with the vertical pivots. should i remove the screw in the arm in order to grease that? i have a feeling that might be the issue. i tried the blow test and didnt noticed a lot of movement in the arm.

kind regards,

dave

the pivot screws are simply running into a piece of delrin. the condition of the pivot screw end and bevel, and condition of the hole in the delrin they go into is your vertical movement. the arm wire dressing would suggest that skating forces are being added to the arm. however the photo shows that the pivot post and it's bushing are dry also. energy imparted in the horizontal manner, but prohibited to move freely in that direction will expel the energy into a vertical motion, and vice versa

the pivot screws are simply running into a piece of delrin. the condition of the pivot screw end and bevel, and condition of the hole in the delrin they go into is your vertical movement. the arm wire dressing would suggest that skating forces are being added to the arm. however the photo shows that the pivot post and it's bushing are dry also. energy imparted in the horizontal manner, but prohibited to move freely in that direction will expel the energy into a vertical motion, and vice versa

okay - i will investigate the pivot screw. because it is dry - i will attempt to lube the pivot post and bushing.

in terms of the arm dressing adding skating force - should i simply untwist the wire by rotating the arm counter-clockwise to counteract some of the skating force.

i used sewing machine oil in the tone arm bearing well - about 8 drops. should i have used heavier oil or should that suffice?

thanks again marc!

Hey john - by balance beam test do you mean float the arm? I’m a bit new to all this. Got into vintage hifi in my 30s. I’m 33 now. Hah

the arm shouldn't zero float, easily, which is why the Shure tracking force gauge was recommended. A static balance type arm wants to float, a neutral balance arm doesn't. a shure gauge is a 'static balance' device.

the arm shouldn't zero float, easily, which is why the Shure tracking force gauge was recommended. A static balance type arm wants to float, a neutral balance arm doesn't. a shure gauge is a 'static balance' device.

Hey Marc - I looked into the Shure gauge. Looks like a sweet unit. I don’t have the funds right now to afford it overwise I’d buy it ASAP.

In the meantime, back out the right side(when facing the turntable head on) vertical bearing screw by about 1/8th turn and see if it fixes your problem. It should. Always worked for me and I have had 4 AR XA, XB, 77-XB turntables.

Back
Top Bottom