Klipsch Heresy I, II, or III looking for opinions

bowtieman427

thinking of getting a set of Heresys would like opinions on which ones to get I, II, or III and why ? There is a cost difference on them also. I may run them on a tube amp between 20-35W per channel. I would also like to run them in my bedroom.
I have KG 4, 5.5 and LaScalla, not hearing Heresys in some time now how would they compare to what I already have? I am a KG 4 fan from a perspective I think they are great for what you can get them for today.
Are the Heresy's worth getting ?

I've only heard one set of Heresy, which, FWIR, were series II. My opinion is that they sounded best with tubes, and then at only moderate volumes (<90 dB or so). They didn't dig very deep, and were ear-bleeding (shouty) at higher levels. They had fresh caps and were properly set up with very good amps and upstream gear.

I have La Scalas and KG 4. Heresy don't interest me, but that's just my opinion, and my experience with them is very limited. Would I trade my KG 4 for Heresy? No.

I would like to hear them mated with a good subwoofer. That said, I've passed on three local pair within the last few months.

YMMV.

I have a pair of 1978 (IIRC) Heresy H-BR's running on a Sansui AU-11000a solid state amp and it sounds great. That amp is 110wpc and I haven't really gotten them to "shouty" levels but they do sound good. One thing many people do, including me, is replace the old capacitors with something newer like Solens, Sonicaps, Dayton polys, etc. That made a huge difference in the sound quality of the speakers and makes them very tolerable for long term listening. They do sound good on tubes, though, as I sometimes run them on a Magnavox EL84 console amp that was rebuilt with orange drop caps and all new connections. But that amp is in another room running some Altec Milano's (similar to Valencias) at the moment.

I can't comment on how they'll sound in comparison to the KG series line but I would call them similar to the La Scala's with not near the low end. SOme like to run them with a separate subwoofer but I haven't really wanted to as I like them like they are. Plus, I give them a couple notches of bass boost on the Sansui to augment the low end. If I want more bass, I listen to the Altecs or the Polk SDA's I have.

Just my $.02 of course and YMMV. Enjoy!

I had a pair of late 70's Heresy's that I used before "upgrading" to Fortes, and I really liked them. Had them up on stands, and they sounded pretty nice with my 6wpc tube amp. They probably would have sounded even better if I had replaced the crossovers, which I have done with the Forte's(new tweets also).

That said, my understanding is that the Heresy III is the best of all of them. The bass is much improved, and all the innards are supposed to be much better than the original. They're even more efficient.

I would agree the IIIs are the best of all...I have been listening to my Heresys (1978s with Bob Crites crossovers) and McIntosh SS (MA6200) and a cheap CD player...sounds very nice to my ears and plenty of bass...the only time I notice it doesn't have enough bass is if I directly compare it to a speaker I have that produces more bass (Quartet or Klipschorn)...enjoy...
Bill

The Heresy is one of the worst sounding speakers I've owned, no, THE worst sounding. Screechy, bass-shy and piercing, an audio flamethrower IMO. But if you like LaScalas they might be right up your alley.

Never heard a Heresy III though it makes impossible claims---higher efficiency AND deeper bass than earlier models in the same size sealed box. Ole PWK had an expression he favored for such claims. But if tonal changes were made it would seem impossible to not improve over the originals.

My opinion and experience ya understand.

Heresy opinion

I have owned the Heresy, Heresy II, and listened to the Heresy III. The KG-4 is a better speaker, a little coloration in the high frequency horn, but very easy to listen to, bass goes quite low for a small cabinet. Of the Heresy speakers the Heresy II is the best, with the worst being the original followed by the III. The III is overly bright, can be engaging at first but grows tiresome quickly.

If you can use a bit smaller foot print and more height, get a set of Fortes, they are the best voiced of the Klipsch lineup and can be found for the same money.

I really think it depends on the equipment you're going to use with the Heresy. People generally have no issues, or at least less issues, when using tubes rather than solid state. While some of the Heritage models seem to be ok with either, for various reasons the Heresy just isn't.

When i bought my heresy II's off ebay i thought hey whats all the fuss about.Even with tubes(HK a224)They only sounded ok.Actually they gave me a ear ache every time i listened to them for extended periods of time.Then i found out one of my tweeters was off only playing at half volume.I fixed that then i could listen without a earache.Jazz and blues all of the sudden sounded pretty good.So i started looking at them as a project.I started reading over at the klipsch fourms.I next replaced the caps with auricaps.Bang i got a very nice improvement in sound.Then i read a post called heresy on steroids.I built new boxes for them.Bang a very large improvement in sound quality.I would never sell or trade my heresyII's.There my speakers for life now.No other speaker in my experence can go so far as a projet as heresy IIs. To sound their best the drivers need to be in great shape and the crossovers need to be recaped minimum.This being the case i would get heresy III.Every report ive ever read has been positive.You get titanium mids and tweeters better efficency.Different crossovers.No doubt about it heresy III's would be my choice.

I think it is interesting, after reading the above comments regarding the Heresy, but really, this could apply to any speaker group, regardless of the manufacturer.

So how can one person like a the way a speaker sounds, and the next absolutely hate it? I don't get it. By that evidence, that means that some people love very treble laden sounds, with little bass, the next likes a high level of midrange with muted highs and lows. The third likes deep bass and detailed high range, but subdued midrange.

It is mind boggling to think that people can have that much deviance in their own taste in sound. People aren't so critical (sonically) about live performances they attend? It's truly a bizarre phenomenon with speakers.

I went through a self induced brainwashing at the klipsch forum and went out and purchased a brand new pair of heresy III's to mate to my freshly overhauled Autospec ST-70. Talk about throwing good money after bad, at least in my case.

I still have the heresy's, and yes, a subwoofer makes all the difference. My next purchase will fall somewhere along the lines of a McIntosh LS360 or comparable set. I'm done with horns.

They shine at low to mid volumes, are very dynamic, and present a great soundstage. Thats about it, IMHO.

whats your source?When i moded mine it was to fix its bottom end.I also used them with two powered subs.I found that if you set them up so they have a low end their quite good.They sound best with tubes or 70's mac ss stuff.I presently use them with bryston ss amplification.Colder but still good.I only use them with vinyl though.Maybe thats why they dont sound harsh to me.I do like lots of trebble though.I find my II's to be quite mellow though.

I have used the following:
EICO HF-81
NOSValves VRDs
McIntosh MAC1900 SS
McIntosh MA6200 SS
Nakamichi TA/2A STASIS SS
OUTLAW Audio 950/7100 SS

Bill

Klipsch speakers are very honest and don't color..........crap in = crap out.

When they're fed from the right sources........they're dynamic, detailed and definitely not fatiguing.

When I first started with Klipsch, I almost got rid of them.........it took some trial and error. The rewards of finding the right combination can't be beat IMO. When you compare them to the really high priced, high end speakers........it's a no-brainer when you realize what you're getting for the price that you paid with you're hard earned money.

Klipsch speakers are very honest and don't color..........crap in = crap out.

When they're fed from the right sources........they're dynamic, detailed and definitely not fatiguing.

When I first started with Klipsch, I almost got rid of them.........it took some trial and error. The rewards of finding the right combination can't be beat IMO. When you compare them to the really high priced, high end speakers........it's a no-brainer when you realize what you're getting for the price that you paid with you're hard earned money.

I have to agree with you. Speaker opinions are so subjective, depending upon the ear, amplifier, music subject, and recording quality. That said, I believe some music won't sound very good on Heresy's... certainly not anything demanding heavy bass. For that go with Cerwin Vega or JBL.

Listening to jazz, soft pop, and classical music on my Heresy's, I have to say that they perform well at low-mid and moderate volume. Definitely require some bass boost at lower levels, but articulation is excellent. I do sense a bit of "shout" at moderate levels that I think recaps will help smooth out... I'll have to find that out soon. But for now I'm happy with them. :) And on the lookout for Forte's! ;)

i too wanted to know what the fuss was about so one day i found a pair early 70's heresy on CL and decided to give it a try, so when i got there i ask the guy if he can play a few song to see if it work ,he had it hook up to a denon receiver and wowww
it was terible not what i was told and for $375 mint i hesitated but i also heard they sound better with tubes so i went for it hook it up to my se el84 (2watts) andnever look back.
in my opinion heresy are not for solid state but very nice with tube .

Back
Top Bottom