Best under $50 audio purchase I Ever made - the Pioneer SE-A1000

bce22

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...r=8-1&keywords=Pioneer+se-a1000&condition=new

I've owned these open headphones for 3 months now and I can say definitively that it is the best sub $50 purchase I have made. I have spent over $1000 in the past for a single set of phones and currently own the HE-500s which cost about $600.

These Pioneers are definitely not neutral as they lean towards a clean and sparkly upper end than a bassy phone. . This is mostly due to the very loose clamping force on your head. They are easily modded to clamp a little tighter. When you tighten the band a little they sound better. If I could compare them to another phone it would be the Grado SR-325. 2 But I personally find them much better. They have so much more Soundstage and less sibilant in the treble.

These phones have amazing imaging and a ridiculously large Soundstage. It's the biggest I have ever heard and they are amazing with live music such as Dave Matthews Band. It's like they are made for live music. Play some Rodrigo y Gabriela Live in Japan and I'm happy. I actually prefer them for live music over the orthodynamics and $550 more expensive he-500s.

They are also easy to drive and sound great on my sansui Au-517 as well as my little Diy kit tube amps.

If you want more info check out the pioneer SE-A1000 thread on head-fi. By the way, Nevermind the thread title as I wouldn't compare these in sound signature to an hd-650 at all.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/670454/pioneer-se-a1000-appreciation-club-sennheiser-hd-650-for-45

They are not end game phones by any means but for under $50 they are the deal of the century and belong in any headphone fans arsenal.

They also have a ridiculously long cable which is nice if your amp is across the room from where you want to lounge for listening.

Last edited:
Well I decided to buy a set. 42$ + 5$ shipping. What a deal .... Thanks bce222 for the heads up.
Looks like theyre Japan manufacture.

Well I decided to buy a set. 42$ + 5$ shipping. What a deal .... Thanks bce222 for the heads up.
Looks like theyre Japan manufacture.

Are you in south east PA or right across the river in Jersey? I'd love to hear those cans when you get them!

Are you in south east PA or right across the river in Jersey? I'd love to hear those cans when you get them!

Im in the King of Prussia area. Malvern to be exact.
When I get them youre welcomed to stop by for a listen. :music:

I think you'll enjoy them. They have a very open and airy sound. Please let me know what your thoughts are once you receive them. Just make sure you don't trip over the cable as its about as long as a football field.

It is very easy to make them clamp a little tighter.

I'm thinking about getting a pair of these, based on this thread. I've been looking for some decent headphones. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 428s that I pulled from a recycle bin and re-corded. Would these be a substantial improvement?

They're just $44, shipped from Tiger Direct. It's not much money, but the wife has ultimate veto power. With a kid in college someone has to make sure I don't spend all of our extra income on myself.

Dadgummit. The Tiger Direct price went up $20 overnight. I just ordered from Amazon for $53.

Just bought mine from amazon. Now they have only 1 pair left, if you and I just got a pair each.

I wonder if these will be like the Insignia craze from a few years back. I have a pair, and while they sit dormant, after I had them modded, they rock for their size.

I think they are definitely great at $50 bucks and worth checking out for almost everyone (minus bassheads), and moreso if your a grado fan. For $75 I would need to qualify them first before buying.

I love the soundstage and the detail in the upper mids. Bass is not their strongsuit so when listening to Electronic Dance Music, Hip-hop, and genres like them I would use a different headphone but with Rock, Acoustic, horns, (especially live) I like them alot!

I can't wait to here your impressions!

I think you'll enjoy them. They have a very open and airy sound. Please let me know what your thoughts are once you receive them. Just make sure you don't trip over the cable as its about as long as a football field.

It is very easy to make them clamp a little tighter.

How are they vs the JVC HARX700? comparable?

I think they are definitely great at $50 bucks and worth checking out for almost everyone (minus bassheads), and moreso if your a grado fan.

Did you happen to see my thread about "Forgotten Grado Black makes a fool of me.." ??

I have just discovered Grado cartridges. Got a line on a Grado Silver with less than an hour on it vs purchasing an 8mz for my Grado black. Both would be 100 bucks. What to do???:D:D

I cannot wait to hear these Pioneer headphones. Been listening thru some crappy Sennheiser HD202's I've had for years. they're kinda "meh.."

How are they vs the JVC HARX700? comparable?

I made a mistake. The JVCs I have are the RX-900. These are closed headphones vs open for the pioneer. They have a very different signature. The Jvc is slanted more to the lower end. They have better bass extensions and depth compared to the pioneer. Mids are not as good. The pioneer Mids border on excellent. I find them about equal in the highs, they both roll off some.

The Soundstage and imaging are heavily slanted to the pioneer. For me if you like live music, acoustic, rock then they are excellent. They are good performers for jazz and classical. Not my favorites for Electronic and hiphop.

I just got a pair of these ...saw this thread yesterday and then saw a pair ab BB today on closeout $35.99 so i took them home...

I was really enjoying the few minutes of music I listen to with these before diner

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back
Top Bottom