Heresy woofer differences

bre's dad

I drank what?!?
What are the differences in the different versions of woofers used in the Heresy? The woofers in my 1981 Heresy 1 (K-22-E) are shot. I can pick up a set of K-22-K's for fairly cheap and wondering what (other then the E uses a square magnet and the K is round and I'm assuming the K is a newer variant) the differences are. And as far as that goes, I'd like to know the differences in the different versions of the Heresy (mainly looking at crossover differences rather than one is biampable or the 1 series has a removeable back & drivers mount from the inside vs. later ones that are fully sealed & the drivers drop in from the front)

Can't answer your question but member moray james probably could. He seems to know lots of tribal knowledge of all things Klipsh. PM him or ask over in the Klipsch Korner forum. You will likely get find your answer.

I would post your question in The Klipsch Korner. Morey James is a frequent contributor their, and he does seem to be very knowledgeable about Klipcsh products.

klipsch woofers

I believe from the boards I have seen that the e means it is an ev woofer and that the k would mean it's a jensen woofer ?

. k-22- e k-22-k
fs 3Hz. 35Hz
Qms 4.61. 5.3
Qes. .3. .446
Qts. .35. .411
Vas. 6.02 cuft. 5.05 cuft
Sd. 86.6 sqin. 82.1 sqin
Xmax 2.032 mm. 4mm
Spl. 94.8db@2.83. 93db@2.83v
Re. 6.8 ohm 6.9 ohm
Le. 1.02 mh. 1mh
Pe. 100 watts. 100 watts
Bl. 15t. 14tm
Cms. um/n. 359 um/n
Mms. gram. 57.6 gram
8ohm 8ohm

I've been gone all weekend and haven't had a chance to address anything.

First, one of the woofers is blown. It rattles & pops when you turn the volume much above a whisper. The other is fine. Both woofers are missing the dust caps. The one that is blown has a few tears around where the voice coil wires pass through the cone to the terminals on the back. The cones are also torn (not all the way through, but but part of the layering) where someone had ripped the dust caps off. The cone is buckled & weak in that area on both woofers (I'm guessing someone was going to try to recone them and decided it was best to just chuck these things which is good news for me. I called around and got a few quotes on having both woofers rebuilt and for considerably less, I can find some replacement woofers that are K22-K where mine are K-22-E. I know they'll work but I'm curious as to what the actual differences are and if tis anything I'd notice. I have no intention of throwing the old woofers away. I would like to get them rebuilt at sometime in the future and either put them back in at that point or keep them as spares (I have no plans on selling these things.)

There are other things I want to address on the speakers and if I get these woofers and save some up front, then I can work on the other stuff (reveneer the cabinets, fix/replace the grill cloth, recap the crossovers.)

As far as recapping, I need to do more research and figure out if I want to leave them at the stock values or go all out and either build new XO's or get something like an upgraded Crites XO. Other Crites upgrades (diaphrams) may be an option later.

Oh and thanks for moving this. I was going to repost it but you basically beat me to it.

Right now, once these are up & running I've going to be driving them with a Denon PRA-1000/POA-1500 solid state combo. They very well may end up on my tube system, which would probably be a better match anyway. FYI I'm running a Jolida Music Envoy tube pre (stuffed with Telefunkens) driving a pair of custom built Baldwin '40 watt'' tube amps running a quad of RCA 6L6's.

Last edited:
Dayton Audio PA310-8 12" Pro Woofer

I use the Dayton Audio PA310-8 12" Pro Woofer as a replacement for the original Klipsch speakers. Very efficient at 97dbl/1 watt, usable response range to 44-2000 HZ, 400 watts power handling capability and work excellent in an sealed enclosure the size of a Heresy cabinet.

I use these with some Acustastuff and it will kick out the bass. The price is way cheaper than the used K-22's you see on Ebay as well.

I have two sets of modified Heresy's, one with the original K22's and a set with the Dayton's. Same mods to both except for the woofers. The set with the Dayton's out performs the set with the K22's by a huge margin. Not only in bass response, but in clarity as well.

I use the Dayton Audio PA310-8 12" Pro Woofer as a replacement for the original Klipsch speakers. Very efficient at 97dbl/1 watt, usable response range to 44-2000 HZ, 400 watts power handling capability and work excellent in an sealed enclosure the size of a Heresy cabinet.

I use these with some Acustastuff and it will kick out the bass. The price is way cheaper than the used K-22's you see on Ebay as well.

I have two sets of modified Heresy's, one with the original K22's and a set with the Dayton's. Same mods to both except for the woofers. The set with the Dayton's out performs the set with the K22's by a huge margin. Not only in bass response, but in clarity as well.

And I just pulled the trigger on the K-22-K's. Figures.

Just ordered some Jantzen caps to recao. Heeping it stock for now, might mod/upgrade the crossover in the future. Now just need to decide what veneer to use... leaning towards cherry (I already have some on hand and would just need to get one more roll to finish)

Last edited:
Crites crossover mod

And I just pulled the trigger on the K-22-K's. Figures.

Just ordered some Jantzen caps to recao. Heeping it stock for now, might mod/upgrade the crossover in the future. Now just need to decide what veneer to use... leaning towards cherry (I already have some on hand and would just need to get one more roll to finish)

In the future, if you are going to stay with the Atlas K55 midrange drivers, do the Crites 4500hz crossover mod. You will need to change out the K77 tweeters to Crites's CT125's, but you will end up with one hell of a nice sounding speaker. Just some food for thought.:scratch2: The diagram for the crossover mod is in this section.

Lots of great tips!

How much of the Acustastuff did you need?

Dayton Audio PA310-8 12" Pro Woofer

Crites crossover mod

In the future, if you are going to stay with the Atlas K55 midrange drivers, do the Crites 4500hz crossover mod. You will need to change out the K77 tweeters to Crites's CT125's, but you will end up with one hell of a nice sounding speaker. Just some food for thought.:scratch2: The diagram for the crossover mod is in this section.
Jesse, you did the 4500 mod to your heresys? I thought that was just what people did mostly to their La Scalas? Do you have a link the the scematic

Back
Top Bottom