bharper
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Hi - My name is John and I live in Canada. I just purchased a pair of ASL AQ1008 amps and was searching for a schematic. An old 2009 post indicated you may have one. If you still have it, I would be eternally grateful if you could email me a copy/image.

Thanks John
    Hi Brian,

I saw you posted a Hurricane DT print. Maybe you have the info I need.

I had a tube short out. Blew the fuse holder to bits. And now that it is back together I can run it fine but the bias readout board seems to have been toasted. The reading just floats gradually higher and high, not changing when different positions are selected. Only turning OFF the readout does it drop back to a low value and start its climb again.

I set all the pots at 1/4 turn from counter-clockwise and I get fine performance from the amp.

What I'm looking for is a way to set the bias on the tubes without the built-in measurement. Any ideas?

Thanks, Dave
    Hi Brian,
    Not a problem. Right now I think they are worth more than $150, so I will try my hand at selling them on eBay. My understanding is that they are pretty rare. I understand what you mean about them staying matched or stable. The reason I have so many is that the guy who sold me the Premier 11A was using them and had trouble with them holding bias. He was so anal, though (his words, not mine) that if one tube lost bias, he would buy a whole new matched quad from Kevin Deal at Upscale. I think I will list with a reserve for $300 and see how they do.

If I were you, I would really consider the new issue Genalex Gold Lion KT88s; they sound incredibly good and are getting great reviews. Read what Jim McShane has to say about them on his site.

Cheers,
    Stephen
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom