Musical Fidelity Owners Thread

That’s interesting because the phono section in my Nu-Vista M3 is so good that I gave up my Graham Slee Acession because the two are almost identical in there presentation on my system . Nice system you have btw and welcome to AK.

Audiofreak71
I had an Accession also and liked it better than the 308's, sold it for an Acoustech PH-1 that I'm happy with.

Re/ Remote controls

Strange one for what its worth I had a Cambridge Azur CD player the remote No V . 2 worked fully function on a Musical Fidelity X80 Amp i owned

If that's any interest to anyone. Still have the remote the Cambridge which is long gone .

I have not yet tried it on The A5 or m3Si. To be honest.. Still in my store room

Have you any other old remotes that work other equipment than specified

Re/ Remote controls

Strange one for what its worth I had a Cambridge Azur CD player the remote No V . 2 worked fully function on a Musical Fidelity X80 Amp i owned

If that's any interest to anyone. Still have the remote the Cambridge which is long gone .

I have not yet tried it on The A5 or m3Si. To be honest.. Still in my store room

Have you any other old remotes that work other equipment than specified
For some reason I can’t get my Harmony universal remote to work for my Nu-Vista M3 , I’ve tried everything also but it’s a no go . Good thing I have the remote for it and it’s like new , but if it ever goes belly up looks like I’ll be up a creek without a paddle.

Audiofreak71

For some reason I can’t get my Harmony universal remote to work for my Nu-Vista M3 , I’ve tried everything also but it’s a no go.

Strange, my Harmony One works with my A300 which was built around the same time as the NV-M3. However, I don't like using it one bit, as it jumps the volume way to much with the slightest tap. I can feather the volume with the original remote much better.

Strange, my Harmony One works with my A300 which was built around the same time as the NV-M3. However, I don't like using it one bit, as it jumps the volume way to much with the slightest tap. I can feather the volume with the original remote much better.
Yeah I prefer the Nu-Vista remote also but my Harmony one doesn’t move the volume to fast unless I hold the volume down then it will go fast , but the Nu-Vista is much more precise , I just wanted to have all my equipment under one remote just in case something went wrong with any of my remotes .

Audiofreak71

P6150011.JPG

Something Only became i do not no whether the word Transparent or Apparent to me. I have Two Amps

M3si Rated at 85 x 2

A5 @ 250 x 2 .

Which is Better. Well Funny thing, The M3si new. The A5 not so.

Using the same setup Same source Bluesound Node into a Arcam Dac. Speakers Dynaudio emit 10. The A5 on one piece of Music (Stood head and Shoulders (For Me) above the M3si. Why this is worth mentioning is this only was noticed this last week. While I was busy doing something else had to stop and listen because the sound was so good. The piece of music that caught my attention to this "Sunrise [D] Thunda 7 & the k-20 Allstar remix" From Cafe Del Mar , Vol 8, I Took the speaker cables and source phono's, out of The A5 put them into the M3si sat back even in the same position replayed the moment with bated breath. Sadly to no Avail.

The Bottom Line i am trying to say is I never realized that two amps could be so different comparing one piece of music. This wont make me love the M3si any less, its just the difference between the amps. I can not begin to described what i originally heard because I am not a record reviewer

I Purchased a while back a Mirrorless Olympus Pen - 6 Camera , Having a play with it on my system earlier Took a few shots to test the ART features That come with the camera. The camera was sat flat on a table end using the supplied Olympus wide angle attachment. speed of 1/40 at 5.4 was automatically set. Though it was quite pleasing.

Last edited:
Hi

Something Only became i do not no whether the word Transparent or Apparent to me. i have Two Amps

M3si Rated at 85 x 2

A5 @ 250 x 2 .

Which is Better. Well Funny thing, The M3si new. The A5 not so.

Using the same setup Same source Bluesound Node into a Arcam Dac. Speakers Dynaudio emit 10. The A5 on one piece of Music (Stood head and Shoulders (For Me) above the M3si. Why this is worth mentioning is this only was noticed this last week. While I was busy doing something else had to stop and listen because the sound was so good. The piece of music that caught my attention to this "Sunrise [D] Thunda 7 & the k-20 Allstar remix" From Cafe Del Mar , Vol 8, I Took the speaker cables and source phono's, out of The A5 put them into the M3si sat back even in the same position replayed the moment with bated breath. Sadly to no Avail.

The Bottom Line i am trying to say is I never realized that two amps could be so different comparing one piece of music. This wont make me love the M3si any less, its just the difference between the amps. I can not begin to described what i originally heard because I am not a record reviewer

I Purchased a while back a Mirrorless Olympus Pen - 6 Camera , Having a play with it on my system earlier Took a few shots to test the ART features That come with the camera. The camera was sat flat on a table end using the supplied Olympus wide angle attachment. speed of 1/40 at 5.4 was automatically set. Though it was quite pleasing.
In my experience different amps sound different from one another . Do your two amps have Dacs? Or are you using an separate Dac? Because that makes a big difference as well . Nice picture I used to be a canon guy and made the switch to Olympus and use the OMD-EM1 now and I love it .

Audiofreak71

Hi Audiofreak 71

No Just one external Arcam Dac to what ever amp is in use Amps The 24/192 Cirrus logic Dac built into the Bluesound very good to worth a mention. Why i use external is I run the Bluesound Tos link straight into a sony mini disc recorder most of the time and the Run a toslink back from the Sony to the arcam

Thanks for the thumbs up on the picture.

The Dynamic Duo . Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista M3 (factory upgraded) and the Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 Dac , exceptional sounding combo .

View attachment 1532067

Audiofreak71

Very nice whats your poison :) (as in what do you like to listen to) With me i am a funny old sod really. Not stuck in a time warp of my youth or anything. Just like what I like. But there is an anomaly that very much applies to me, as in one can or could have a massive musical collection. Built up over many years as mine. But at the end of the day out of all this music. There are only say six albums that you play all the time. Have you found this?

Very nice whats your poison :) (as in what do you like to listen to) With me i am a funny old sod really. Not stuck in a time warp of my youth or anything. Just like what I like. But there is an anomaly that very much applies to me, as in one can or could have a massive musical collection. Built up over many years as mine. But at the end of the day out of all this music. There are only say six albums that you play all the time. Have you found this?
I do have my favorite albums that I use for critical listening as well . I have found so many more new albums from using Qobuz and Tidal , when I come across ones that I really like I buy them on cd . I do like just about all types of music except I can’t really get into classical and death metal is a no go for me oh and I don’t like this new style of garbage rap I much prefer old school rap but I guess I am old school lol , everything else is pretty much fair game .

Audiofreak71

Just scored X-A1 integrated amp with nice outboard power supply. All I could find on this unit were some ancient reviews. Can anyone else offer any information or opinions on this unit? It sounds pretty decent to me, but I'm inclined to consider a recap just due to age.

20190609_210024.jpg

No photos but I have 5 V units across 2 systems.
All up there is:
1 x V LPS
2 x V PSU
2 x V DAC II

I've been trying to minimize the number of boxes I have but these little things wont move aside. Now I've found out that I can upgrade the opamp in the DAC.

the more i listen to the X-A1, the more i like it. highly musical, and surprisingly detailed. but since it's ~20 yrs old, all new Nichicon caps on order (mostly Muse series KZ, FG, and ES -- and KW series for the big power supply cans). also like the big potted outboard toroid trafo for this amp. a well thought out Brit-igrated amplifier

Help!! I need a input selector switch for a older A1 integrated amp. I have the shaft extender and knob , just need the PC mounted switch. Any ideas welcome. Thanks.

Hey all,

thought I would share my upgrades on the my M1 DAC.

I was inspired by this article by Liquid Audio in Australia...
https://liquidaudio.com.au/musical-fidelity-m1-dac-review-upgrades/

and his companion video here...

My unit is laid out a little different. I think his is a 1st gen. Mine is from 2012 after they fixed the Asynchronous USB issue.

I pretty much followed his prescription except that instead of using Elna Silmic II's in some key places I used Nichicon Fine Gold's in those spots. Also, I bypassed the bi-polar Muse output coupling capacitors with Kemet's instead of Wima's. Otherwise, I used Panasonics in the Power supply.
Also, I replaced the 1N4007 diode bridge with SBYV26 super-fast, slow-recovery type diodes. Not sure how much difference this made since the bridge is before the switch mode PS section.

I didn't replace the NE5532 opamps as I wasn't expecting SMD components. But luckily there are parallel mounting holes for DIP-8 packages if I want to come back in and do that.

I wish I could report on incremental improvements, but I just shotgunned it. Overall I think it cost about $25 in parts. Hard to say since I was placing an order from Mouser and threw this on top of the larger order. Timewise, I guesstimate about 4 hours total in labor. I was interrupted several times. After an initial test to make sure everything was working I put it in the living room system and left it streaming Spotify all night.

I always liked this DAC, but never thought it was anything special. Just a good DAC. Overall I think these upgrades really made it shine. I've only spent about an hour really listening critically today. Did the clouds part and a ray of audiophile bliss lift me off my feet? No. Is it now a giant slayer taking on units 20X it's price? No. But, does it now sound much less congested? Yes. Does it now sound less spitty and sibilant? Yes. Do I think the cost/reward ratio was worth it? Definitely!

I know it's two different approaches, but now compared to the Counterpoint DA-10 that I'm used to in the living room, the M1 compares very favorably. Before there was no real contest. Now I will have to spend more time to determine which one I prefer.
(note: the above is comparing Optical and Coax only, I don't use USB)

Getting started:
20200206_091412.jpg

Board before mods:
20200206_102306.jpg

Diode bridge:
20200207_131708.jpg

Boards after:
20200207_131717.jpg
20200207_131726.jpg
20200207_131731.jpg

Note the SMD output buffer chips, but there are for DIP parts!
20200207_131757.jpg

Chassis damping:
20200207_131815.jpg

All the parts that were replaced:
20200207_142009.jpg

Comparing it to the Counterpoint DA-10
20200207_142128.jpg

Hey all,

thought I would share my upgrades on the my M1 DAC.

I was inspired by this article by Liquid Audio in Australia...
https://liquidaudio.com.au/musical-fidelity-m1-dac-review-upgrades/

and his companion video here...

My unit is laid out a little different. I think his is a 1st gen. Mine is from 2012 after they fixed the Asynchronous USB issue.

I pretty much followed his prescription except that instead of using Elna Silmic II's in some key places I used Nichicon Fine Gold's in those spots. Also, I bypassed the bi-polar Muse output coupling capacitors with Kemet's instead of Wima's. Otherwise, I used Panasonics in the Power supply.
Also, I replaced the 1N4007 diode bridge with SBYV26 super-fast, slow-recovery type diodes. Not sure how much difference this made since the bridge is before the switch mode PS section.

I didn't replace the NE5532 opamps as I wasn't expecting SMD components. But luckily there are parallel mounting holes for DIP-8 packages if I want to come back in and do that.

I wish I could report on incremental improvements, but I just shotgunned it. Overall I think it cost about $25 in parts. Hard to say since I was placing an order from Mouser and threw this on top of the larger order. Timewise, I guesstimate about 4 hours total in labor. I was interrupted several times. After an initial test to make sure everything was working I put it in the living room system and left it streaming Spotify all night.

I always liked this DAC, but never thought it was anything special. Just a good DAC. Overall I think these upgrades really made it shine. I've only spent about an hour really listening critically today. Did the clouds part and a ray of audiophile bliss lift me off my feet? No. Is it now a giant slayer taking on units 20X it's price? No. But, does it now sound much less congested? Yes. Does it now sound less spitty and sibilant? Yes. Do I think the cost/reward ratio was worth it? Definitely!

I know it's two different approaches, but now compared to the Counterpoint DA-10 that I'm used to in the living room, the M1 compares very favorably. Before there was no real contest. Now I will have to spend more time to determine which one I prefer.
(note: the above is comparing Optical and Coax only, I don't use USB)

Getting started:
View attachment 1756242

Board before mods:
View attachment 1756241

Diode bridge:
View attachment 1756240

Boards after:
View attachment 1756239
View attachment 1756238
View attachment 1756237

Note the SMD output buffer chips, but there are for DIP parts!
View attachment 1756236

Chassis damping:
View attachment 1756235

All the parts that were replaced:
View attachment 1756234

Comparing it to the Counterpoint DA-10
View attachment 1756233
Nice Job maybe I can convince you to do the Liquid Audio mods on my MF TriVista 21 Dac that they do ;)

Audiofreak71

Back
Top Bottom