My Speakers Are Distracting My TV Watching

My speakers and components are distracting me while watching TV. I love the look of some nice looking equipment but I keep staring at it while trying to watch, and miss half the show. Its not so bad when I have the grills on. Most of my setup is half form and half function. Crazy thing is, I usually only listen to TV on a Bose wave, and all these big speakers and silver and black just sit there and stare at me.
Put the grills on or put them in the corner or room or design some sort of grill like furniture to cover them up.
I use slim klipsch icon duel 6.5” towers they have good bass and not distracting.
My vintage speakers I use in basement for music only .
:needpics:

Those tweeter domes are, in fact, your speaker's eyeballs. They watch everything you do. Paranoia is recommended.

Speakers are ominous that way. Does your pair annoy ya?

OK, some basic questions, OK?

1. That receiver that you've shared... is it A/V with speaker configuration? If so you can dial them in to your taste, make the hearing.

2, If it is A/V, then get yourself a decent centre speaker, and as an option you may want to work in some rears. I have Polk all the way around, snd the sound is OK, and not too expensive. Mind you there's a hidden Polk that cuts in when called for. I've crossed it pretty low for the SO and the fronts can dig down not bad. The woofer may be an option down the road, as the sub can be placed just about anywhere.

3. You could go with the TV surround bar, which might be cheaper than the above, but that means a long obtrusive speaker up front, but it looks like ya don't got a lot of room to play with, eh?

Shop around for some good used speakers (C+R's+S) that may lower cost , and a pretty fair vintage AV receiver might be had for $200 or a bit more. This would allow you to go with the fronts that you have. The centre is a must for dialogue. The rears/sub are optional...maybe down the road.

Good luck on your wanting better sound outta the TV.

Q

Many vintage AV receivers are very attractively priced. However, if to want HDMI, vintage is usually not the best option. For HDMI capability and staying budget conscious give accessories4less a look. They have factory refurbished late model AV receivers with a full factory warrant. Their prices are very reasonable.

Many vintage AV receivers are very attractively priced. However, if to want HDMI, vintage is usually not the best option. For HDMI capability and staying budget conscious give accessories4less a look. They have factory refurbished late model AV receivers with a full factory warrant. Their prices are very reasonable.

One could go with an adaptor to hook up HDMI to ana. Have also found the the AV receivers do tend to vint much faster than the older ones with the appropriate outlets. And as you pointed out...the prices are within reason.:thumbsup:

Q

I prefer AV receivers with HDMI because they allow the connection of all HDMI sources (Blu-ray, Cable box, game machine, etc.) to the receiver. That way you need only one cable to the TV. Using HDMI connections makes things less complicated.

I lower the lights when watching the HT where all the black components largely disappear. Emotiva gear allows you to dim the otherwise bright blue illumination.

I wish I would have bought one on there coulda got integra for what I paid for my onkyo 818!! O well maybe next time :eek:o_O
Op any pictures of your distracting speakers ????:needpics::lurk:

Well' sometime I do watch/listen with all the big stuff on but it is sometime too much for everyday TV shows. Especially when its late and a commercial comes on at twice the volume level as the show....man I hate that.
The little Bose Wave is a nice substitution for crappy TV speakers. It really doesn't sound bad at all when you adjust the sound from the TV side (the wave itself doesn't have any level or eq options).
Someone else mentioned the newness would wear off ( I recently changed thing up) and I'm just if the phase of admiration of what I've created.View attachment 1424000
That’s not very distracting put grills on them if you neeed to.
Do you have a input switcher for different speaker pairs or all of them hooked up at once ?
I run 7.2 ch in a tiny bedroom 12x12 foot. My bed takes up 1/3 my room or More full sized bed .

I posted a pic back on the other page. Here is one from about 20ft away but I sit a lot closer...maybe 10ft. The room is 15x30. I sort of have 2 main rigs in this setup. One is 5 channel stereo and the other is 2ch with a/b option. In total 5 pair of speakers (Infinity Overture 3, Onkyo model 20, some big 15" technics, a couple little book shelf's, Sansui, and a KLH center). A few more in the back for a surround setup but I can see the them while watching TV.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not really complaining. But the fact is I spend a lot of time looking at them and thinking about different configurations when I should be looking at the TV and enjoying the sound.
IMG_20190204_223358.jpg IMG_20190109_232528.jpg

Back
Top Bottom