Picked up a Thorens TD160 for $30 with Garrott P-77

To quote Larry The Cable Guy "Git-R-Done". Then let us know your thoughts on the tables performance please. When these tables are tuned in they sound like tables costing hundreds of dollars more. Not to mention their ability to be modified to sound sweeter and sweeter. Just don't get hung up in the modifying part and enjoy the table is my best advice to ya.

Best of luck my friend!

A quick before and after - although more like a before and during, because I haven't actually finished yet. Done so far - deck cleaned, arm repaired (well, 80% replaced actually), temporary Shure stylus in the P77 cartridge (with new assembly on order from Expert Stylus in the UK), new belt, polished platter. The plinth needs work or maybe replacement, but the cost of shipping a replacement to NZ might be prohibitive.....

20190316_112040.jpg 20190328_175603.jpg

Curious about that hybrid ADS/Grace arm. If the geometry is correct and that horrible connection between the headshell and arm is sound then this might just be a bit higher mass bastardized Grace 707. That might make a great tonearm for some project. But the geometry must be correct. The headshell needs to be parallel to the record and the cartridge would need to be put in proper position for a good alignment.

Sure am glad you got a nice Grace arm in good shape to replace that hunk of parts.

Nice, I'd sand it down & re-stain it.
Maybe the old arm just needs to be sanded down and repainted at that connection.

Last edited:
A quick before and after - although more like a before and during, because I haven't actually finished yet. Done so far - deck cleaned, arm repaired (well, 80% replaced actually), temporary Shure stylus in the P77 cartridge (with new assembly on order from Expert Stylus in the UK), new belt, polished platter. The plinth needs work or maybe replacement, but the cost of shipping a replacement to NZ might be prohibitive.....

View attachment 1488544 View attachment 1488545
Looking good Mark. :thumbsup: Always loved upgrading my Thorens tables one project at a time. This gave me the opportunity to listen to what the upgrade did sound/looks wise, and also let me take the time to plan the next step. I had 2+ years into my beloved TD-150's restoration/upgrade process. But during all that time it was in operation on a daily basis.

Will be following to see your progress and thoughts on this fine table. Carry on!!

Back
Top Bottom