Search results

1. ictwoody

Who has modified their Empire turntable?

The plinth hasn't been painted. The top part that is dark grey / almost black is paperstone. It's a solid matierial made out of highly compressed paper and epoxy. It's almost like laboratory countertop. The teak wood is just teak wood. The aluminum parts have been polished and brushed again by...
  2. ictwoody

Rare Beauty: Fairchild's 275 Amplifier

Thanks! I'm still enjoying the amplifiers and they have performed flawlessly. I'm quite sure they will never leave my quiver of gear. - Woody
  3. ictwoody

Advice on polishing Empire bearing and replacing thrust plate

I'll measure what I have when I get home and let you know what I have. - Woody
  4. ictwoody

No. I laser cut these and they are sized for the empires. They are about 3/8" or so. I can't remember exactly... but larger than 1/4". You can order delrin sheets on amazon. You could probably get a sheet and then cut what you need. - Woody
  5. ictwoody

I made a bunch out of delrin... two thicknesses. Black and white in color. PM me your mailing address and I'll send you a couple. - Woody
  6. ictwoody

Technics SL-1200 Mk. II dust cover without the bubble? Is there such a thing?

Which reloop dust cover model did you order? I see there are a couple different ones. - Woody
  7. ictwoody

Improving the early Fairchild 412

I just picked up a 412-1A. Where did you source your Silicone isolators? I’d like to replace the neoprene ones on mine. - Woody
  8. ictwoody

Hey ya’ll. I felt like this Sunday afternoon was a good time for me to pipe up. I’m sitting here listening to The Punch Brothers 2018 album All Ashore on the Fairchilds. Yes... this incredible journey we were all following along on in this thread was all for my benefit. :) At this point I’ve...
  9. ictwoody

Highest Regarded Vintage McIntosh Preamp

Good call. Got this ripped quarantine bod. - Woody
  10. ictwoody

Highest Regarded Vintage McIntosh Preamp

My C32 I never even listened to when I scored it and an MC2205 from a friend for a song. I ordered a box from Audio Classics and shipped it out at the beginning of the month... it's on it's way back to me as of today with the full AC works. I'm excited to give it a listen. I didn't even fire it...
  11. ictwoody

This gives me the feels.... - Woody
  12. ictwoody

AGREED! - Woody
  13. ictwoody

Tweeter Repair on Altec Duplex 601c

Ever get this working? I am now the owner of 3 dead 601C tweeters. - Woody
  14. ictwoody

My Hot Rodded Marantz 1060

Maybe an unrestored 1060 sounds warm and wooly like old tube amps. But I don’t consider mine sounding that way. It just sounds damn good. If you made me pick a vintage solid state piece that sounds more like a vintage tube amp, I would say the Harmon Kardon 330, 430, 730 series are maybe more...
  15. ictwoody

My new Altec/Onkens

They are now in their new home with a friend of mine. He LOVES them. He's running them with a Yamaha A-S801, which I did for a good bit of time and it's a killer combo. For him, it's enough to stave off the upgrade bug for a good long while. I'm glad they're in a good home. I do kinda miss them...
  16. ictwoody

Woody's Resto-Modded Empire 398

Wichita, represent! There's a few of us on here. - Woody
  17. ictwoody

It's not an Empire arm. I'm not really brand loyal. I really like my Denon DL-103R on it. Not really looking to change it up. - Woody
  18. ictwoody

It will be if you just order the Esoteric one. :-) - Woody
  19. ictwoody

Yeah... I hate to break it to you, but the esoteric belt is the way to go. Empire belts have been discussed a ton, and the consensus is the esoteric is the only one which consistently gives correct speed. I’d just order one up now. Sorry. - Woody
  20. ictwoody

My new Altec/Onkens

I would agree with this for the most part. I know the Jabo's don't use the Tractrix design, but I believe they are better at the imaging etc... as Tom states. My Altec horns I've owned (511/811/32) give a bigger "wall" of sound. But aren't tonally as good, and have other problems I won't get...
  21. ictwoody

My new Altec/Onkens

More pics. - Woody
  22. ictwoody

My new Altec/Onkens

Well it's funny you ask. Looking back at this thread I realize I haven't been keeping up here on AK. I have been posting recent progress elsewhere. Anyway. As the Onk's sit today, the only thing left from when I bought them is the cabinets. Here's a list of what has been done... some of it...
  23. ictwoody

What cigar are you enjoying with your tunes?

One of my favs. - Woody
  24. ictwoody

Here's a link to the o-rings taken from my Amazon history. I don't think they were this expensive when I bought them, but at least you can see the specs. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051XYHSW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The motor capacitor was provided to my out of the...
  25. ictwoody

Here's videos showing the effects of O-Rings on the inner platter lip. Rings were sourced on Amazon. No damping. O-ring damping. O-ring damping and platter mat.
Back
Top Bottom