Search results

1. vinylisfinyl

Sansui 990DB with weak bass...filter caps?

Sure can: both of them measure out to 0.2 Ohms. I forgot to state that I did re-cap the driver board with Nichicon KLW caps except for the little 0.47 uF caps (ordered the wrong value, existing ones are OK). The original C05/C06 caps measured 0.3 Ohms. I also recap'd the power supply board...
  2. vinylisfinyl

Sansui 990DB with weak bass...filter caps?

Greetings, fellow AK'ers, I have a Sansui 990DB that I have been slowly revitalizing over the past couple of years. Overall the unit is in great shape with clear, balanced sound out of both channels, but the bass leaves a lot to be desired. No matter what speakers I've connected it to, the bass...
  3. vinylisfinyl

Problem recording LPs to computer

Perhaps the audio from that specific album is causing oscillation or overload on your Mac's audio input circuitry? Are you recording from the stereo's Line out to your Mac's mic input?
  4. vinylisfinyl

Back in the day did people really know how to configure hifi equipment?!

One thing that I feel is also a factor about DIY electronics then vs. now is that things were just simpler back then. During, say, the early 1960s or before you only had AM radio and monaural record players to tinker with. DIY HiFi in the 50s was all about extracting every last detail from those...
  5. vinylisfinyl

158 VAC on stereo antenna terminals...is this why an isolation transformer is needed?

Alrighty, thank you for the information here. Sounds like this is normal for this kind of stereo. Yes that is a transformer with multiple leads off of it. I'll look in my parts bin to see if I have that cap, pretty sure I have the resistor. When I used my isolation transformer the voltage at...
  6. vinylisfinyl

158 VAC on stereo antenna terminals...is this why an isolation transformer is needed?

Greetings, fellow audio connoisseurs, Tonight I scared the **** out of myself when I saw a spark while connecting our attic TV antenna coax to the FM antenna terminals on my Magnavox console stereo. I think I figured out why it happened, but want to share it with you to confirm if I'm correct...
  7. vinylisfinyl

Electrolytic capacitors sources

You can (almost) always use capacitors with higher voltage ratings than the ones that are present, provided the new ones physically fit the space and lead spacing. On some circuits I've worked on the rated voltage and working voltage (the voltage that the cap actually sees) are often quite close...
  8. vinylisfinyl

Magnavox Astro Sonic Bass Control Packaged Circuit...what's inside?

Hello, Just wanted to follow-up to close out this thread to prevent another "cliff-hanger". I confirmed that the .1 uF capacitor had indeed opened up and was decoupling ALL of the signal as the control was moved to the Least Bass position. I confirmed it by jumpering another .1 uF cap I had...
  9. vinylisfinyl

Hmmmm, alrighty, thanks for the quick reply! When you say "nothing that can be repaired", what is the construction like inside this unit? Just for giggles, I took some measurements of the package in-circuit and found the following, and think the capacitor may be suspect unless being in-circuit...
  10. vinylisfinyl

Greetings fellow Solid-Staters, and Happy Belated Thanksgiving! I'm working on my grandmother's Magnavox 1RP660 console stereo, chassis R204-18-20, and need some advice on how to proceed with troubleshooting a problem: When the four position Bass control is put into any of the positions below...
  11. vinylisfinyl

Frequency Response Experiment with Cassettes

Cool, I shall have to see about that software! I think my sound card might support simultaneous playback/recording, though it's the build-in base sounds card in my PC's motherboard so will have to experiment. Unfortunately my Pioneer is a two head deck so I would have to do the synchronization...
  12. vinylisfinyl

Frequency Response Experiment with Cassettes

Since I've been stuck at home these past couple of weeks, I've gotten back into playing with cassettes and have been experimenting with recordings on my Pioneer CT-M66R. Today I got the idea to run a frequency sweep through it just to see what kind of response I'd get. To run this, I used the...
  13. vinylisfinyl

Opinions / Info for Marantz SD-63

Appreciate the feedback! Sounds like this was a rather unknown unit then. I agree that the prices are outrageous on eBay, especially since all I paid for mine was ten buck! Guess I'll still try to ascertain why the sound is so muddy compared to my other decks. Does anything think that tape...
  14. vinylisfinyl

Who is making alignment cassette tapes in 2020?

elnaldo, did you ever get a hold of ANT about your alignment tape? I'm interested in purchasing one for myself since I have several decks that are all "out" from each other.
  15. vinylisfinyl

As much as it's been a while since I've dealt with cassette tapes, I like your thinking. :biggrin:
  16. vinylisfinyl

Opinions / Info for Marantz SD-63

Hello fellow tape users, A few years ago I found a Marantz SD-63 cassette deck at a local exchange store for $10, and bought it for the fun of it. It had a couple of scratches in it and no remote, but when I got it home I liked the sound of it enough that it replaced my then-new Sony TC-WE475...
  17. vinylisfinyl

Forgive me if I'm missing the obvious, but what might potentially be wrong with using alignment tapes as seen on eBay? I've recently started listening to tapes again and realize that all of my decks are not quite aligned with each other, so was looking for tapes that I can use to align all of...
  18. vinylisfinyl

990DB FM Tuner erratic

Been delayed in looking into this due to work and life in general but this weekend had some time to check out the Sansui again. The other night it started popping and spluttering on FM after only a minute of playback, tonight I tried for five minutes before I had to quit and didn't hear a thing...
  19. vinylisfinyl

Realistic STA-78 with high voltage on left channel output

Cool, I actually bought some freeze spray the other week so can give that a shot later on. I also have replacements for TR605 in stock ( I think they are KSC1013 if I remember correctly) so I shall find out soon enough.
  20. vinylisfinyl

And the plot thickens. The other night I removed every single transistor on the amp board and checked it with my multimeter, but found none to be leaky on any leg-pair. Tonight I got my Rigol scope on the unit and saw some rather...interesting behavior. First couple of minutes I saw 1-20 V...
  21. vinylisfinyl

"Hot" smell from Sony STR-D715

Ha, sounds like most of my equipment too. :naughty: I do recommend trying to see what component is getting that hot, perhaps with a finger test in worst case scenario? heat like that reminds me of something drawing a lot of current which could be a short circuit or a mis-biased transistor.
  22. vinylisfinyl

Jvc ax-9 distorded sound

Ah OK, so it sounds like "distortion" was the seller's description and not your own assessment...correct? Before you hook that sucker up to your system, I highly recommend that you check the DC offset on both channels to make sure there isn't a high voltage which could fry your speakers. Check...
  23. vinylisfinyl

"Hot" smell from Sony STR-D715

Do you have an infrared gun that you can use to scan the amp and see what component is becoming that hot? Also, were the transistors a like-for-like replacement of the originals? I replaced the outputs in my Realistic STA-78 recently, and had a similar issue where I could smell hot...then found...
  24. vinylisfinyl

Jvc ax-9 distorded sound

Hmmm, can you describe the distortion to us at all? Is it a general lack of sound quality, or something specific like buzzing or lack of a certain frequency? Is the distortion present on only one channel? Present on all source inputs or just one? What are you using to feed audio into that bad...
  25. vinylisfinyl

Sooooo, took a step forward and a step backward with this repair... One the plus side, I finally found trimmers that *just* fit into the holes, but the far leg did not extend far enough to reach the third hole. By a stroke of luck, I discovered that clipping off the long lead of the old trimmer...
Back
Top Bottom