Search results

1. cnh2

Is the home theater craze over or what?

Probably, but you'd still need Blu-ray quality to highlight Deep Focus-Long Take (Philosophy of Film during a summer long, long, TOO long ago), lol Obsolescence is certainly a part of the HT craze! I've addressed this elsewhere. But, I'm also certain that many wives are pushing their hubbies...
  2. cnh2

What was the last movie you watched?

The Man Who Knew Infinity, about the Indian Mathematician, S. Ramanujan. Still haven't decided if he was more of a genius than our apostate mhardy (numbers?), but at least he was "humble", attributing his knowledge to revelations from his God(s), lol
  3. cnh2

About those fancy new AVR's

My AVRs are old now as well, only HDMI 1.3? What are we up to now? Over 2.0? So they upscale to 4K as mentioned. Almost all have WIRELESS streaming capability, Pandora, Spotify, and don't forget Russian hackers! They're often lighter and less powerful, lol Oh, they can process Dobly Atmos so...
  4. cnh2

About those fancy new AVR's

Yeah, my AVRs are on the older side as well. HDMI 1.3? What can new AVRs do? Well, a lot has already been stated above;
  5. cnh2

Ah the free market

Free Markets! Do any exist? Unfortunately there is a discipline known as "History" that "remembers" what really happened! lol Back on topic. I love flippers, NOT! lol
  6. cnh2

Realistic receivers

Here's a useful resource for your question. http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/receivers.html Scroll down to Realistic receivers and you can see which ones are considered the best. That said, I own a number of vintage Realistics and there is NOT a bad tuner in any of them. STA-95, STA-2270, STA-11...
  7. cnh2

JBL L100T

Congrats on the L100Ts. I remember auditioning them and the L80Ts I finally bought and still have below. The 100s were just too big for my room at the time and I didn't find that I lost much with the 10" three ways below. I found the Jolida to be a nice solution to the tweeter, never harsh...
  8. cnh2

Bedroom systems

Don't do much music in that room. Just a 2.1 Home Theater for movies and some TV and FM. So nothing special, an Onkyo 6XX series AVR a couple of Polk Rti-A1s and a 100 watt 8" sub. The room is too small in any case! Next house we'll see! Like the JBLs above!
  9. cnh2

EPI TE 100

Very nice! I'm surprised the Lexan coating on those woofers is still in tact. That, usually disintegrates and is impossible to repair. A friend of mine has one of the large floorstanders in that series, the T/E 360s that sound amazing on an old Kenwood integrated and a Technics TT. I'd also be...
  10. cnh2

Some low power vintage receivers deserve more respect.

Lots of great receivers above, many that I own! But I can't really see anything over 20 watts x 2 as low power! And, I also think we should include small form (size). So I'll list one I think fits this bill and doesn't sound half bad: The Realistic STA-11 Ooops, receiver is listed at 30 watts...
  11. cnh2

80's Realistic receiver owners: your opinion needed

I have an STA-2270. Not a 100 watter x 2 but it seems to have enough power for most decent sized vintage bookshelves (ADS L520s, KEF CODA series, Fried Q-2s, KLH 17s, etc.). It almost NEVER runs HOT. And it sounds pretty darned good. Not quite as good as my STA-2200 though. I agree about that...
  12. cnh2

SX-3600 new for me, issue! Fixed!

I feel your pain! AK is a good place for info, but unless you're an old timer who plays with the big boys here you won't always get the people YOU NEED to respond to your cries of HELP! Sometimes it makes you wonder if you ever really escaped from High School? lol I DO hope SOMEONE responds...
  13. cnh2

Kenwood KA-7300 - unsuccessful refurb.

Phenomenal information. Too bad I can't understand even five percent of the above. I have the same amp, it's been playing doorstop for a couple of years now. I sent it to a Tech. who was, somehow able to get the relays to kick in EVERY time HE powered it up in his shop. He returned it to me. I...
  14. cnh2

Refoam Design Acoustics PS-10A under or over woofer cone?

I've never been able to figure out HOW much it matters or doesn't. The common response is pretty much what GD70 writes above. And I don't have enough knowledge to disagree but I wish someone would put a number on it or...? It can't matter 50 percent for example, or 25 percent, under/over. But it...
  15. cnh2

Hi frequency hearing. How well has your hearing fared?

If you're 61 and you can hear over 14 Khz that's absolutely INCREDIBLE, because the average 40 something can't do that? I'm around your age, my hearing is great for my age, better than most and I cannot hear anything above 14Khz. And I haven't been exposed to a lot of LOUD environments. It's...
  16. cnh2

College... The Death of Me!

Alfred North Whitehead: The purpose of an education is the keep a creative mind from getting out of hand! Besides, you don't want to BORE yourself do you? All that range, the broader horizons, the experiences of more rather than less, contribute to a more complex mind and person. Curiosity is...
  17. cnh2

Superstore

Interesting! I hear the Chinese are coming out with their own series? WuMei (or WuMart-Supermarket). lol Directed by the famous Zhang Yimou, starring Zhang Ziyi (but then again what do I know?) .
  18. cnh2

Klipsch KG4s Worth $150/pr?

That would be a good price. One thing I've learned from this site is just how "cheap" most AKers are! lol Always expect a few LOW ballers any time you ask, "is this worth it?" Because there is always someone who got it for free or $5 or $10. It amazes me the bargains so many here stumble into...
  19. cnh2

Putting together my first system. Need opinions!

Hard to beat the A. Jones in that price range. Although you might want to consider his NEW line from ELAC. The Debut B5 or larger B6? http://elac.us/speakers/ I'd also forgo the Yammie AVR for a Yamaha A-S500 integrated if TWO channel is your primary focus?
  20. cnh2

Vintage budget receiver advice needed

Have to agree with ggregg above. I've had a S-7120 and still have an SX-838. Both have a nice warm musical sound (the 737 being in that series).
  21. cnh2

My System/Space

Don't pay attention to our anal retentive brethren. It looks well-used to me. And I'm happy to finally see a real room on this site which is so full of house beautiful photos that I have to turn away for fear that all that perfection will vaporize me! lol
  22. cnh2

Favorite Vintage Yamaha x Speaker Pairing

I like ADS classics and Yamaha, but many of the others above would probably sound good as well!
  23. cnh2

Real Science in H.G. Wells´"Time Machine"

Also an interesting film made from this in the mid-30s. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028358/ Wells, who was a member of the Fabian Society, wrote a novel entitled A Modern Utopia (a sort of 20th century Wellsian version of Plato's Republic ruled by individuals referred to as the...
  24. cnh2

Happy Birthday to mhardy6647

Happy Birthday! Enjoy! Celebrate! But don't party too hardy? (the crowd winces)
  25. cnh2

Ka7300 buying advice

Hi, NO, that volume knob should not be doing that. The KA-7300 has a volume knob with a fixed starting/ending point that moves in detented increments. The main problem with old Kenwoods are the STK amp packs which are usually near the end of their life. The relays also give out. Static...
Back
Top Bottom