Search results

1. jwhvt

Sony STR-GX90ES receiver nudes - The last 2 channel TOTL Sony!

10 year old thread but still a great receiver! I use mine in my basement rec room. Reliable and powerful.
  2. jwhvt

Pioneer SX-636 vs. Harman Kardon 330B

Unfortunately, I can find very little information about the non-"SD" versions of this series. I've only ever seen the SD version here in the US so I don't know if there are physical circuitry differences or just a model naming difference. My guess is that they are very similar in sound and...
  3. jwhvt

Pioneer SX-636 vs. Harman Kardon 330B

The Sony STR-5800SD is a fine sounding and reliable unit. At 55wpc, it packs plenty of punch. Its appearance is a bit unconventional though.
  4. jwhvt

Your favorite "little" receiver ever?

Maybe this? http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-88.html
  5. jwhvt

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

Interesting. Had not seen that before. Thanks!
  6. jwhvt

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

I doubt it’s the cause of your premature lift problem but that does not look like the right headshell for the X800. Should be an SH 156 I believe. Maybe yours is a perfectly acceptable substitute?
  7. jwhvt

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

Nice gift! Looks like it even has intact hinge pockets on the cover (often broken). I love mine although I need to figure out how to adjust the drop point as it often drops the needle a little too far in.
  8. jwhvt

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

My recent Sony TFM-C660W "restomod". The original black light tube had burned out so I installed a UV LED light strip which looks much brighter in the picture than in real life. Also repainted the original yellowed case charcoal grey.
  9. jwhvt

New to AK/HiFi from Vermont

Welcome from a fellow Vermonter.
  10. jwhvt

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

I've been collecting flip clocks recently and recently picked up this Sony TFM-C690W Digimatic clock radio. I'm a sucker for the real walnut case! Not exactly high end audio but it is audio and it's a Sony so I guess it qualifies for this thread. Pictured next to a Sony TFM-C650W.
  11. jwhvt

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

Due to space constraints, I have not had a turntable set up on our 1st floor. I looked into getting a Sony PS-F5 or F9 (the "Flamingo") but they are somewhat rare and pretty pricey. Then I "discovered" the front loading turntables which you can install in a cabinet. Found a PS-FL77 on eBay...
  12. jwhvt

New to me Sony STR-6055. What do I need to know?

I’ve always had good results after heating the knobs up with a hair dryer. They’ll usually slide right off.
  13. jwhvt

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

Never owned any separates so hopefully someone else will chime in.
  14. jwhvt

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

If you get a chance, try a 6065. It remains my favorite of my current collection although the 7065 is pretty close. I agree that the 6800 is underrated and I also preferred it to my 7800.
  15. jwhvt

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

Don't see the 7800 posted very often.
  16. jwhvt

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

Congratulations! You can try painting the edges of the dial glass to restore the nice green illumination.
  17. jwhvt

Sony STR-6800SD Recap and a few other questions w/ Progress Pics

Nice receiver. I've had two in the past and wished I had kept one. Personally, I much prefer the original green dial lighting to the blue but that's personal preference I guess. As for the multipath button, it does not lock into the in position by design. I often see listings that mistakenly...
  18. jwhvt

Sony 6060F FM Indicator Light Repair

If you are looking for someone who could help you obtain the correct lamp, contact David Wojnarowski (dwojo69@msn.com). Website: www.dgwojo.com. I don't believe replacing the lamp is that difficult although you'll probably need a soldering iron. A service manual can be downloaded from...
  19. jwhvt

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

Switch on back of 6120 is called the "Speaker Equalizer Switch".
  20. jwhvt

Sony STR-6120

These are some measurements I made years ago when I was looking into having a case made. I ended up finding a used case so never had to put the measurements to the test but hopefully they help.
  21. jwhvt

Simpler, classic receivers and integrateds amps

Even simpler…Sony STR-6065!
  22. jwhvt

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

My understanding is that the wood cases were an extra cost option that were to be installed over the metal case that came standard on all of the STR60X5/STR70x5 receivers. That said, I don't think there is a problem leaving the metal cover off. My STR6120 was a custom console pull so it's...
  23. jwhvt

Warm and detailed sounding vintage receiver

I'll put a plug in for 1970's vintage Sony receivers (STR-60XX, 70XX). Based on the ones I've owned, they tend to be well balanced without a bloated low end or shrill high frequencies. They are also very well built and generally are lower priced than the more popular brands.
  24. jwhvt

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

:eek2: Hard to beat that!!!
  25. jwhvt

Your Favorite Receiver

My favorite receiver for some time now has been my Sony STR-6065. It's not the most powerful, flashiest, or valuable receiver that I own but I never tire of listening to it and it's been rock solid reliable.
Back
Top Bottom