Search results

1. RS Steve

AR-4 restoration

Yeah, we know all about Glenn's rabbit holes, LOL! I messaged RoyC.
  2. RS Steve

AR-4 restoration

Interesting find getting these AR-4's with some other gear. Never seen a pair of these in person, first thing that's odd is the woofers. Thought they had been replaced, but now found out they are original. Cloth surrounds are rock hard, any ideas on how to soften them up? Cabinets are so so...
  3. RS Steve

Jans Zen Z-500 Electrostatic Speakers

I have not removed the grills yet, hope to do that very soon. I'm thinking they are not since the above pictures shows what looks like the very bottom edge of the electrostatic driver is visible, and on the same side.
  4. RS Steve

Great information, makes me feel a bit less fearful of damaging anything.
  5. RS Steve

Bass and treble PEC replacements blows fuse

Bottom picture shows the area gutted, and where the board will sit. Plenty of room there if it's laid out properly. I unsolder the Antenna wire and move it out of the way so I can work freely in that area, then solder it back at the end.
  6. RS Steve

This guy that contacted me, told me it was his father in laws (who passed away last year) system that he bought in 1965. Glad to find these that are so well cared for and from original owners or their family. I have found new homes for a few recently, so there is a bit of space opened up. The...
  7. RS Steve

Bass and treble PEC replacements blows fuse

Sounds to me like the EFB board is toast again since the symptoms seem the same as before. My uneducated guess is that there is a bad connection or something making contact somewhere intermittently causing it to blow the EFB. Nobody else that's used the EFB board has had any failure, I've...
  8. RS Steve

Just received these from an estate, and I know nothing about them. Curious to see how they are regarded and if they are worth holding on to. Any speaker that you have to plug into wall voltage has me worried about smoke and fire from age. Hopefully there are some here that knows these well and...
  9. RS Steve

Having a Unity buffer board made up

Success! After finding a spot to safely locate the unity buffer board and mount it using adhesive stands, it was very easy to wire up. The unit sounds great, but there's no room underneath for the EFB board.
  10. RS Steve

After looking at the KX-200 schematic, it has the balance control in between the volume control, and the phase inverter circuit. The 500-C and similar receivers have nothing between the volume control and the connections going to the phase inverter tubes which is where the buffer circuit is...
  11. RS Steve

Looks like I was able to find enough of a space in my KX-200 to mount the unity buffer board safely. Now I just have to connect the wiring and make sure nothing can make contact or touch anything it shouldn't.
  12. RS Steve

Gale GS-401 speakers

So I received my new crossover caps and installed them in the speaker that had a non working midrange driver, and it still is not working. I unsoldered the mid, and it ohm tests fine, so it's either a resistor, or the pot. I have had the pot apart a few times, it cleaned up nicely, wiggling it...
  13. RS Steve

A mini score for me

The Sansui 8080 after a quick service is working fine, would love to get a real wood cabinet for it like the 9090 has.
  14. RS Steve

A mini score for me

Nice suggestion, might just add that to the list.
  15. RS Steve

A mini score for me

I plan on refoaming them after getting the crossovers done. But I did coat them with a flexible coating to fill the holes and keep them intact for now.
  16. RS Steve

Gale GS-401 speakers

The veneer is very dry and has some chips missing, but I think I can bring them back to look decent. The woofers look very much similar to an AR woofer from the back, but a different looking dust cap on the front. Pots are identical to AR early style, and the cabinets are braced well internally...
  17. RS Steve

A mini score for me

I opened one up, cleaned the pots, and ordered new capacitors. Hope to have them singing in a week or so.
  18. RS Steve

Gale GS-401 speakers

I think I will be digging into these on Sunday. I used some flexible glue to temporarily seal the rotted mid foam surrounds and keep them intact at least for testing. Initial test showed the woofers producing sound, but nothing else. The pots on the back need cleaning, and most likely are the issue.
  19. RS Steve

Gale GS-401 speakers

You mean dust caps? I was curious to see if the crossovers need rebuilding.
  20. RS Steve

Gale GS-401 speakers

Did you do any restoration on them?
  21. RS Steve

Gale GS-401 speakers

I just scored a pair of these from an elderly man emptying his storage closet, he gifted me all his vintage audio gear, and these were included. I did a little research and found out they are british made, and are supposed to sound very good. Curious to know if anyone currently have some, and...
  22. RS Steve

A mini score for me

Had a friend of a friend mention to an old timer that I collect and restore vintage audio equipment. That conversation ended with me being gifted some vintage gear that has been sitting for a few years. A Sansui 8080, Lenco L-75, Gale GS401 speakers, and AR-4 speakers. Not at all familiar with...
  23. RS Steve

Mach One 4024, 4024A, 4029 Information and Upgrades!

The dents don't really affect function, they are just unsightly. But using a heat gun can help reform them, just don't use too hot a setting. Those early Mach 1's had the foam surrounds that didn't rot, best to keep them original.
  24. RS Steve

What Maggie amp is this?

Thanks Gordon, will study that and see if I can eventually get a match. Also interested in any mods that are recommended like bias adjustment and such.
  25. RS Steve

What Maggie amp is this?

Curious to see if Dave G. did anything with this model, don't remember him messing with the mono maggies.
Back
Top Bottom