Search results

1. hbucker

Vintage table radios

My dad bought this in about 1960. Still works. Mine now.
  2. hbucker

wrinkled tape - can it be fixed?

Not to my knowledge. Sometimes the capstan/pinch roller can subtly iron out the wrinkles over time, but you'll always notice some kind of dropout, even if it improves. Sorry.
  3. hbucker

That old EQ 'Smiley Face'

On average, the smile works well for low volume background listening that is present but not distracting. Different volumes and situations make EQs a helpful tool for versatility, IMO.
  4. hbucker

Old Farts And Music Hating: I Got To Say I Like This Stuff

I would never suggest that there isn't any good new music. I haven't found much of it on the radio though. (I know - An old fart's reference for finding music, even though radio is still an industry.) I do own a Spotify account too... Seems like suggesting that good music is there if we're...
  5. hbucker

What is the best 200-300ish CD changer?

I've had a JVC (can't remember the model) 200 changer that has worked flawlessly for 25+ years now. But agree that there are a lot of moving parts in there - just more to go wrong. Mine may be an outlier as far as durability. I also have a Sony 300 that is older, but I bought used so don't...
  6. hbucker

JVC QL-?? owners thread

Still using my QL-F300 purchased new in 1983. Its been a very solid turntable through the years. Had to do some repair on the suspension recently, but that's all I've ever had to fix.
  7. hbucker

speaker recommendations?

I've obviously got a sweet spot for these, but EPI 100 is a really great, multi-purpose, classic speaker. If you can find a pair that has been restored (so you don't have to) that would be something to look for. If you're into restoration, these speakers are not difficult in that regard...
  8. hbucker

Maxell XLII High Bias VS Maxell XLII S High Bias

XL-IIs is my very favorite tape. I even like it better than the metal tapes I've tried. XL-II is a good all-round quality cassette. I put it in the same category as a TDK SA. I prefer Maxell over the TDK, but that's personal pref. Tape seems to be for audiophiles what pickups are for guitar...
  9. hbucker

Turntable Cartridges

I've got a 40 year old cart that still works just fine. fwiw
  10. hbucker

Marantz Owners Manual

Anyone have a good lead on an Owners Manual for a 2230B? All I can seem to find is Service Manuals, or 2230 manuals. ...Or sites that seem kind of shifty. Thanks
  11. hbucker

Best Entry level turntable for Teenager

No argument here. I'm just going with the odds of buying something new vs. something old that may or may not have been maintained the way you describe. There are plenty of these old tables out there too, and who knows what service as really been done on them? I'm still using my JVC DD table...
  12. hbucker

Vintage Radio Shack/Realistic Speakers?

I got a pair of Optimus 10s in 1982 and owned them for ten years. Sold them because I got the itch for something different/better. I got a pair of Spica speakers that did sound better, but the Realistics really did hold their own. The passive radiator pumped out serious low end for the size of...
  13. hbucker

Best Entry level turntable for Teenager

Fluance, Orbit, AT all seem like products similar to what the OP is looking for. Any of these would be a very solid but inexpensive introduction to turntable/vinyl function and ownership. And "new" comes with a warranty that could come in handy. As has been said, Orbit's customer service is...
  14. hbucker

80 watts down to 20 watts

I yield to your expertise. But I do have the experience of one 20 watt amp sounding more dynamic (and pleasantly louder) than a 50 watt amp. What is the indicator for this if someone is evaluating amps/receivers on paper? (Honest question) -Thx!
  15. hbucker

80 watts down to 20 watts

Yes, the way power is used becomes confusing to me almost right away. But watts are not the only consideration. And the difference between 20 and 80 watts is probably not going to be that different on its own unless you're always pushing it to that threshold. Then there is the consideration of...
  16. hbucker

Tips on making Rock music Sound better?

In my basement I have a 1970 or so Fischer receiver running EPI 100s and Spica SC30s. Upstairs I have bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer pushed by a Yamaha receiver. I lived for years with a JVC 16 band (8 on a side) EQ that really did great job of shaping the sound. The trick with EQs is...
  17. hbucker

Why do stereo components use RCA connectors instead of, say, ¼" stereo jacks?

Great question, and very relevant. Probably not an issue here since the plugging and unplugging won't be on any level compared to guitar amps - As I mentioned in my post. Guitar cables need to be heavy duty compared to stereo cables. They get walked on and pulled in ways stereo connectors...
  18. hbucker

Why do stereo components use RCA connectors instead of, say, ¼" stereo jacks?

The quarter inch jacks tend to wear over time more than the RCA jacks. That's my experience anyway. Quarter inch plugs need to push the contact aside and lock it into the groove at the end of the plug. This wear becomes noticeable. Arguably, there won't be a lot of pulling the plugs in and out...
  19. hbucker

Tips on making Rock music Sound better?

Speakers voiced for Rock will sound much different than speakers voiced well for Jazz or Classical. The right speaker can greatly help your problem. And I'm one who doesn't think you really need a subwoofer, unless you want one. An 8-10 band EQ, properly adjusted can help you dial in a sound...
  20. hbucker

DOES YOUR STEREO DO IT'S JOB?

Yes. In sound quality, functionality and cost it performs very well. Best out there? Nah... But good and fits our life well.
  21. hbucker

REALISTIC TAPE CLEANER:

Had one of these back in the day without the de-mag feature. It did okay at cleaning the heads but did nothing for the pinch roller. Kind of cleaned the capstan. Good for car stereos. But for a home deck, fluid and Q-tips are more effective.
  22. hbucker

Possible Guitar Amp?

Assuming the electronics are adequate, I'd absolutely plan on replacing the driver - very easy to do and lots of options out there. I would be concerned about the latched lid design and the inevitable rattling/buzzing that would create. Even using it as a modest practice amp would probably...
  23. hbucker

Unpopular opinion

- I can't stand Jethro Tull - I don't understand why Clapton has been such an influence, but acknowledge that he has been. - Ace Frehley is the worst guitarist who has influenced so many people. - Many audiophiles listen with their issues, not their ears. - Despite their convenience...
  24. hbucker

Vintage Stereo Receivers - That much better than average modern?

I remember the move in the 80s toward emphasizing watts and THD (100 watts at only .009 THD! - woo hoo!) It is remarkable how some of those older 20 watt amps pack more punch and detail even though their THD is terrible by what the 80s would have had us believe.
  25. hbucker

Old Vinyl vs. New Vinyl

Agreed. Even in the old days there was little guarantee that a specific LP from a band would sound the same as another. Some were quite good. Some were quite bad. Most were adequate. Due to the comparatively limited pressings they make now, consistency may be currently more predictable. But the...
Back
Top Bottom