Search results

1. nikmills

Best speakers Sansui ever made?

There's a pair of SP-3005 for sale in Denver today. I'm wondering if I should add them to my collection which includes: 4 pairs of SP-5000 and 2 pairs of SP5500. Powered by a Sansui AU-717, but not all at once. Each pair has a different sound, I assume from worn out or already changed crossover...
  2. nikmills

Seeking Nice Speakers for a Small Space. Quality Travel Trailer Sound System.

What I would rather do then is go a little bigger on speakers. Clearly I have to start buying - trying - trading - selling and see what works. It not that I want to avoid wiring a sub, I just never found that thumping attractive.
  3. nikmills

Are you running those DM301 (BTW, do you mean 310, not 301?) without a subwoofer? I am reading about other, presently available, B&W bookshelf units like the 686 model, which I find for about $200 a pair. Some insist on the need of a sub. I do not like subwoofers. I don't get them. I don't like...
  4. nikmills

Thanks, that Compact Monitor fits the bill. Be nice to try them before buying at that price. I was hoping for $500 or under. But I'm not discounting more for something really excellent. Priorities, in order, are: Space, Quality, Price (though I should recognize in audio that price might get...
  5. nikmills

Thank you for the suggestion. I would certainly consider those two. I had a pair of KG4 in lovely walnut. I found they lacked mid-range. Could be they wanted recapping. I'm not an expert, so I don't know for sure. I'd buy - try - trade - sell those smaller Klipsch as definite contenders. Thanks.
  6. nikmills

I'm outfitting a 21' travel trailer with a sound system. It's basically a small room full of furniture. I'm starting with a Sansui AU-101 amp. I'm looking for opinions on stereo speakers that are relatively small but of high quality. Just two, no more. I'd like to mirror the Big Sound of my...
  7. nikmills

Problem with AU 717 left channel

My beloved AU-717 has a lame channel, similar to the problems listed above. Before I open it up can some please describe what the coupling switch looks like and where I'll find it. I've never opened this machine. I believe it's never been touched. 10 minutes later - Hey! Suddenly it's working...
  8. nikmills

Sansui TOTL Speakers SP-5000 and SP-5500 Side By Side?

Nice. The 69S is the elite model. Mine is a 1969 R50US. US model with telescoping forks. Rare. Only 70 produced that year. I don't use mine much. Starts on the first kick. Video here. I'm selling it if anyone is interested.
  9. nikmills

I added another 5000 and four 5500. And next trip to New York I'll add four more 5000 which are out there.
  10. nikmills

2017 Sansui Serial Number Database

The above list includes only one SP-5000. In fact I have a pair here in Oregon, but one is missing it's label. Also, the list is incomplete in that I have four more SP-5000 out of state. (two pair) I'll have to post them another time.
  11. nikmills

2017 Sansui Serial Number Database

SP-5000,91038238,nikmills SP-5500,92080087,nikmills SP-5500,92080060,nikmills SP-5500,92100006,nikmills SP-5500,92100008,nikmills AU-999,221100209,nikmills AU-717,227062839,nikmills
  12. nikmills

Transcriptor Hydraulic Reference Turntable. High Maintence Beauty or Reasonable Daily Driver ?

Just got a call from the seller. She just sold the Transcriptor for $825 sight unseen. Last night she offered me $575 on the phone, but I told her I couldn't get down there until Tuesday and that she should let it go if someone else wanted it. I think the spindle or the platter is bent. The...
  13. nikmills

Sansui AU-999 and AU-717 - trying to make a power amp of one or the other. But....:(

Thanks. Yes, that splitter makes sense. I recognized that route from the get-go. I really wanted to see what these amps could do without a splitter. I see the limitations now. I thought about different positions for the speakers. Lining up drivers is a good idea. What I am finding most is that...
  14. nikmills

Transcriptor Hydraulic Reference Turntable. High Maintence Beauty or Reasonable Daily Driver ?

Any insight on what could cause a wobble in the platter? There's one steady up and down motion per revolution. Feels like it could be a tilted axis. I pulled the spindle out and slid it back in. It didn't appear bent. Earlier I said something about motor mounts being off, but of course the motor...
  15. nikmills

That's an amazing deal. My cheapest were $125 and no simple cleaning job is going to bring them back. They need re-veneering. It's funny how big they are, hu? Wait till you see the 5500!
  16. nikmills

Oh, I can talk myself into the purchase with less justification than NOS boxes! It's the "Clockwork Orange" turntable - BOOM! - SOLD! But I'm trying to be careful and avoid buyers remorse, see? As for the stains, which are many; I rubbed one with spit and the marinara sauce color left, but...
  17. nikmills

The malfunction which worried me was a wobble in the platter. This is what disturbs me most. It's as if the 'motor mounts' are off a degree from vertical. A nice rhythmic wave / wobble. If the platter is bent /warped, that would be bad. Anyone know if the relationship of the motor to the plinth...
  18. nikmills

All the styli are used. One is in the cartridge, the other is in the box but used. The seller says they are 'well used'. I assume they need to be replaced.
  19. nikmills

Indeed. There was a KD-500 locally for $500. 1/2 what they're asking for the transcriptor. But the KD looks like my KD-2055 and though I know it's the high end of that line, if I'm going to deal with non-automatic return (which means I'm inevitably going to destroy a few styli) I want that...
  20. nikmills

I owned a Saab for a couple years. Nice cockpit and handling, but that was the only car that left me on the road, twice. I'm over unreliable cars. I don't mind that much staring at a beautiful turntable that doesn't work perfectly, for, after all, life is now. But a car has to get you where...
  21. nikmills

Sansui AU-999 and AU-717 - trying to make a power amp of one or the other. But....:(

Xero-D-hero nailed. Thanks! For the record: 1. 717 has the source. 2. 717 pre-out into 999 main-input. 3. 999 running speaker system C (Thanks Bret). 4. 717 pre-power amp switch set on (default) 'connected'. all other positions cut all sound from 717, but 999 keeps playing. 5. all speaker...
  22. nikmills

Four days later. I keep thinking about this incredible functional art piece. It was beat up, but man, it was cool.
  23. nikmills

I have two Sansui Integrated Amplifiers and Six Sansui Speakers. The 777 has the source and runs the two first sets of speakers. The 999 is acting as the power amp and has a third set of speakers connected to it. Both amps function fine on their own. But the point is I can't get the amps to...
  24. nikmills

Well, I passed. The turntable felt like it was shipped without being taken apart. I could have gotten over the stains and broken dust cover, which had cracks all over (the pictures don't do it justice). But I think a new arm is in order. This one had rust, beyond the many parts missing. It was...
  25. nikmills

As usual with this stuff I'm getting carried away quickly. Tomorrow will tell. Great to know I can get the parts I need. I'll report back. Dealing so often with precious old stuff (like motorcycles), it's really nice to know parts are available! Thanks for clearing up the 9" and 12" issue, too.
Back
Top Bottom