Search results

1. sony6060

Scott 299 tone bypass - does this make sense?

IMO it is a shame new designs do not have tone controls to tune to the speakers.
  2. sony6060

Russian tubes affected by current world politics?

I use the 12AX7LPS as a low cost alternate in my Fisher rebuilds. That tube sounds good.
  3. sony6060

How can my fiancee say the vintage set up in the living room doesn't look good...?

In the long run it is not worth placing your gear in a living room or den if the female does not approve. Women are usually very fussy about a house interior decorations. That is why a separate listening room is best with a door or far out of the mainstream living area such as a basement.
  4. sony6060

outboard multiplexer -whats better ss or tube?

Stereo separation is better with IC based multiplexers. The tube type multiplexers have an audio out tube vs SS audio output section that sounds slightly better with the right audio tube. I prefer tube type multiplexers, but the difference is not significant. Only a few tube type...
  5. sony6060

Best Grounding Point? ???

Anywhere is ok.
  6. sony6060

what speakers are you using with your Fisher 400?

I use Klipsch Forte with SET12 crossovers and titanium midrange and HF horns. The upgraded Klipsch Forte are far superior to stock. Best I ever heard are JBL L300s though.
  7. sony6060

What is the most Overrated Piece Of Audio You Ever Heard?

Jumping on the AV wagon years ago (1995?) I bought the Denon AVR-1800 for $550. Many reviews were implying it was just golden. Lousy and the FM receiver must have been an entire receiver on one chip- terrible. Never trusted the magazine reviews after that.
  8. sony6060

What Is The Most Underrated Piece of Audio You Ever Owned?

Garrard 401 turntable. Few seen to know how good this TT sounds.
  9. sony6060

GE Transmitter Power Supply 4EP4A1- WHAT IS IT?

It is a mono audio amp? It looks like an FM transmitter or transceiver. If it is an amp, most want stereo amplifiers. Perhaps the tubes have good value. And, the power transformer may support a DIY project. The audio transformer is not likely of audiophile quality with PA service in mind and...
  10. sony6060

Whats the future of hi fi Equipment?

Music has survived like baseball over the years. It has been around longer and will always be a part of life. The issue is the average consumer has less money to spend now in most markets. Many have not had more buying power for 20 years despite raises at their jobs. And, entry level audiophiles...
  11. sony6060

I am in love with my Fisher 500B -- who's a good restorer?

30% of my business is local drop off. NYC and surrounding area does have a population of 13 million contributing to the higher volume here. Some consider it too high risk to ship and will drive hours to drop off their gear. I never had a damage claim with careful packing though.
  12. sony6060

Orange glowing tube yesterday but gone today??

I test coupling capacitors using a vintage tester that can apply high voltages. I watched old caps slowly reform (I guess) and the leakage reduce to a very small value over a few hours. I would never use that cap, but it did improve. The dirty socket is more likely.
  13. sony6060

Output Tube Assessment

Oxiode Coatings affected US Manuafctures I read the USA tube manufactures in part dropped out of the tube manufacturing business due to the oxide coating in tubes was considered a harmful element to the environment. Obviously, the tube market was shrinking too. If one thinks about it, tubes...
  14. sony6060

Output Tube Assessment

QC and Internal tube Spacings I use a simple B&K 667 emissions tube tester. The tester uses internal SS devices that do not drift with age and a very sensitive grid emissions test section on the order of 50 meg ohms. I also use reduced filament voltage to provide some information of the oxide...
  15. sony6060

Best Fisher Upgraded Receiver

The TA-800 uses a solid-state voltage doubler that is identical to the later Fisher receivers. I prefer the SS voltage doubler with the higher output Fisher products. The SS rectifier allows higher capacitance input capacitors vs a tube rectifier and stock value filter capacitors for superior PS...
  16. sony6060

Get a chance to purchase Grampa's 500-C

Wow. You are a Fisher magnet.
  17. sony6060

1500 volts 1 ampere

The schematic shows two wires from the transformer. My microwave had one wire out and the other wire was internally grounded to the frame. In my house just because a microwave fails, that does not mean I am done with it. I went inside and repaired it myself. :D
  18. sony6060

Using Tx as choke/dropping resistor...

My advise is purchase the resistor. 10 watt resistors are about 1-2 dollars from Mouser with $4.50 shipping. Perhaps buy a few spare parts to make the shipping cost more reasonable per part.
  19. sony6060

Fisher X 101 C , noob connections question

Half the sound (you are saying quality sound) or half the volume?
  20. sony6060

1500 volts 1 ampere

The microwave transformers are for half-wave rectifiers only with one lead of the secondary winding grounded to the transformer frame.
  21. sony6060

Fisher 600 on ebay

I performed on a TA-600 using a socket adapter using 6BL8. The audio transformers would be great parts from this TA-600 for another EL84 amp.
  22. sony6060

Scott 399 in a Nice Box

Nice find. I only encountered a few bad power supply capacitors, but are time bombs. Watch the power tubes for red glowing plates.
  23. sony6060

Sony STR V4 vs. Sony STR 7065

For two years I was buying SS receivers and upgrading them for best sound. The Sony V4 was exceptional out of the box. For some reason it is all discrete without those old op-amps that cannot compete with later op-amps. All other Sony V series have op-amps. I did not try the STR-7065. The...
  24. sony6060

A possible build using Eimac 4X150A’s ?

Fun experiment, but there are so many proven good audio based tubes out there that do not need the cooling support.
  25. sony6060

Coupling caps in the phono stage

I only responded to the phono stage.
Back
Top Bottom