Search results

1. Freds.Bands

What's the Problem with DQ-1W?

I use it for music, not movies, nor do I regularly play at a really loud volume - just like row M in a concert hall at most - jazz at less volume. I'm powering it with a NAD 2050, thru the DQ MX electronic xover. I do not think it plays very deep notes, like 30 Hz, very powerfully. I haven't...
  2. Freds.Bands

Requesting Input from Forum Members After 2023 Update

With all of these editing features, I have to say 'great job.'
  3. Freds.Bands

Southwestern West Virginia? Iseems pretty sparse interest (hope not)

If there any members are here, it's most likely in Charleston or Huntington. I have some older equipment (60s and 70s) that I'm using and keeping.
  4. Freds.Bands

What's the Problem with DQ-1W?

I know owners sometimes are not happy. I own a DQ-1w for my Dahlquist setup and am wondering if a better driver would be a solution, given that it actually can be removed/replaced from the enclosure. I suppose I could consult with Parts Express, if that would help. I am looking for someone's...
  5. Freds.Bands

Music Related Books

I found my "Harvard Dictionary of Music" finally, more like an encyclopedia
  6. Freds.Bands

Imaging and Soundstage Discussion

This is how music is recorded. Good mikes are as good as we have. How can we do better? For this test I posed, it is probably best to use omnis.
  7. Freds.Bands

Imaging and Soundstage Discussion

Place two good microphones outside and listen to environmental noise thru your speakers in your sound room. Then go outside between your mics and listen again. Note the great differences. Then go back in and listen to some natural acoustic instruments in a non-reverberant studio. What did you...
  8. Freds.Bands

The rarest speakers you own or have owned?

Rectilinear Xa - The wife loved them so much (I bought them in 1970 after listening to all speakers I could) that she took them with her when she moved to CA in 19078. When the foam surrounds crumbled, she dumped them. I think that's where almost all of them went (to the dump) after a few years...
  9. Freds.Bands

Rectilinear 5 in the house

Th Those pots will need a thorough cleaning; you will find lots of green grunge inside.
  10. Freds.Bands

Has anyone found a pair of speakers and said "I'm done"?

I think I'm done, but.... I have several sets to update and several ones I'm just testing. I doubt I'll be replacing my Rectilinear IIIs in the line-up, but I suppose it's possible. The Rectilinear III's sound good to me, but need recapping to prevent instrument wandering. I have my DQ-10s that...
  11. Freds.Bands

AR-4x - bypass potentiometer

The crossover point changes because the tweeter output level rises or lowers, which changes the point at which its output curve intersects the woofer curve. After all, this is not a tone control.
  12. Freds.Bands

Crossover Value Questions

If you calculate, make sure you use a bridge device or the like to get your driver resistance and inductance values, not at the resonance points. Calculation results are probably not going to be enough in practice to assure correct crossover freqs, correct impedance, and phase angles. The ears...
  13. Freds.Bands

Crossover Value Questions

the 0.5 mh series inductor in the tweeter is what I question as it rolls off the high end
  14. Freds.Bands

Recap rectilinear mini iii advice

You need soldering skills and patience with removing the silicone gluing in the woofers.
  15. Freds.Bands

Rectilinear VI - Capacitor help

kinda shoddy looking construction with all that hot glue
  16. Freds.Bands

Rectilinear Model III "Highboys" Are Differant?

The different port sizes go with the different woofers, Jensen vs CTI. The RiII did not use a foam surround; maybe yours are replacements and may not be well matched to the enclosure design.
  17. Freds.Bands

Replacing iron-core inductor in xover

I could show this with my scope if I had two of the different types but matched mHy values, which I don't.
  18. Freds.Bands

Iron-core inductors/transformerss have non-linearities because that is the magnetic propertys of iron.
  19. Freds.Bands

Possible speaker ID? Longshot, I know...

Need a photo of the backs.
  20. Freds.Bands

Crossover repair question - potentiometer replacement parameters

Mine on 2 models are 14 ohms each, though different sizes. I'm sure 15 ohms is just as good.
  21. Freds.Bands

Rectilinear iii highboy modded

I've heard of only 2 or maybe 3 woofer variants. Initially, they used the red surround Jensen. Later they used a CTI in both highboy and lowboy models. Not sure about any others.
  22. Freds.Bands

Do I dare dip my toes in the dangerous waters of speaker cabinet building?

Thank you. How about going from 1cu.ft to 1.3 cu.ft. larger? Acoustic Sus[ension only I've seen methods of measuring woofer Q and equiv sprung mass.
  23. Freds.Bands

For the same mHy values and wire size, an air-core inductor will have a higher resistance and size since it needs so many more turns.
  24. Freds.Bands

Rectilinear VI speakers - advice?

Rectilinear Research used the 10" Flexair on other early speaker systems using A.S. only. I don't have any T/S parameters. Further, though the speaker cabinet looks very similar to the III and other series, I didn't think the 6 (VI) was one of their early systems, which are III, XI, XII, Mini...
Back
Top Bottom