Search results

1. avguytx

Acoustic Research AR 302 and 2AX for the same price, which one should I pick?

I've had 3 pairs of 2ax's over the last 20 years. None of which I cared to keep, personally. Now, the AR11's I had....that's another story. Kind of miss them sometimes.
  2. avguytx

Polyswitch (resettable fuse) rating for EV T-3500 in Speakerlab 7

Klipsch also used Zener diodes with their K-77 (T35) as they are so "delicate". I have a pair of SK's that had the WA4000's in them but I took them out and went to a better tweeter and way better crossover network thus no need for Zener diodes. I would pose this question to "The Loudspeaker...
  3. avguytx

Old Large Advents - Fried fried egg tweeter cause/replacement?

Might find one on e b a y from being parted out. Should be a simple single capacitor crossover for the high pass and accessed with the woofer out. Sometimes just age and being over driven. Sometimes pushed in.
  4. avguytx

Klipsch Factory Speaker Diaphragm - 89486A Faceplate

Speakerlab used ferrofluid in their T35's and Atlas mids back in the day. Anymore, they say to clean it out and don't use it. Unless you really like the K-77, there's definitely better tweeters depending on the crossovers you use.
  5. avguytx

On a sad Klipsch note

Good idea, Tom, and it makes sense. I'm probably the black sheep in here as I have a pair of "cornerhorns" but they are not of the Klipsch brand name nor are the drivers. (I do have Epic CF-3's, though) So, I mainly post about them in the regular "Speakers" section as to not ruffle the...
  6. avguytx

New NAS needed...recommendations?

I've been using a Synology DS216j with twin 8tb drives in RAID 1 for the last 7 years. When if fails, I'll probably go to something similar again. We use multiple Synology 12 disc devices where I'm the network administrator and have close to a Petabyte of storage in multiple locations for...
  7. avguytx

On a sad Klipsch note

Sadly, I use that analogy a lot these days.
  8. avguytx

Pioneer 100 HPM POTENTIOMETER

I'm just going off what real Pioneer reps and dealers of the 70's/80's said that would know about as well as anyone. Oh, and it's just a woofer....not a subwoofer. ;)
  9. avguytx

Polk Audio SDA2 speakers

If this is the correct crossover, pic taken from ebay, the suspect part is circled in blue. For that matter, just twist that part so both leads touch and it will be bypassed. Problem solved. They were put on most all speakers, in some fashion, to help against returns and blown tweeters. I...
  10. avguytx

Exactly the same. It was all a marketing change in the late 70's so they could sell more powerful receivers with their speakers. This was told to me by a couple of Pioneer reps that were doing it in the mid 70's and into the 80's.
  11. avguytx

Polk Audio SDA2 speakers

Remove 4 screws on the terminal cup and the crossovers will be attached to that. It's a tiny piece, maybe half inch in diameter, and easy to spot and easy to replace. Also, you can pull the passive radiators out (large "driver") and get a good look at them, too. Just order the inexpensive...
  12. avguytx

The exact same. There's really no difference between the 100 and 200w versions except for the silver port trim rings and the numbers on the terminal cup.
  13. avguytx

JBL L166 Grill Glue?

This 3M Super 90 is some heavy duty spray glue and worth the difference over the Super 77. I've used this for years and especially back in my car audio days. You could also use hit glue or contact cement but can be a little messier.
  14. avguytx

Polk Audio SDA2 speakers

So have you opened them up and looked inside at the crossover network to see if anything is amiss? I mean, these speakers are 40 years old and most likely stock crossovers. Is it both speakers that are dropping out/muffled in volume or just one side? Is it the mids and tweeters or just one or...
  15. avguytx

Norman Laboratories Model 9s Inherited

Those woofers all share a common cabinet; they are not a divider. If you turn the back one off, it still moves and is acting as a passive radiator. At least they did in mine. It's just an acoustic suspension cabinet...nothing fancy going on in there.
  16. avguytx

Again, call Dave Miller at Speakerworks and see what his recommendation is with the torn surround. I've repaired various rubber surrounds (from the back side) using a black rubber cement, which is what Dave had told me years ago. If the rubber surround has lifted up from the frame, you can use...
  17. avguytx

@dsmflow Main things that stand out for me having owned numerous Norman Lab speakers including Model 9's. 1) Bypass those circuit breakers as they are worthless at 40 years of age. 2) Replace those black caps with the red ends with new reasonably priced poly caps and call it good. 3)...
  18. avguytx

CDX1-1412 VS DE-120

Only if it were all original Klipsch drivers. ;):cool:
  19. avguytx

Tube Monoblock ohm wireing.

Sounds like you're wanting to run both sets of L100t's at the same time? Seems like you'd want a larger amp than that for those speakers. You'd want to run on 4-ohm taps if both pairs.
  20. avguytx

New Old Stock ferro fluid cooled tweeters

If anything, just clean the stuff out and use them without it. Ferrofluid was added by many manufacturers to help with heat dissipation and returns....kind of like circuit breakers (that go bad), fuses (that blow), etc. I have a set of Speakerlab SK's I'm rebuilding where they came with FF in...
  21. avguytx

Realistic Mach 2 opinions

I've had all 3 iterations of the Mach speakers over the years. Never kept any of them for very long. Some people love them, some people hate them; but that's true of all speakers out there. No one hears the same. For the right price, buy them and try them so your ears can tell you what they...
  22. avguytx

Speakerlab DAS 7 restoration - info wanted!

@efrance45 If you have Facebook, check these guys out.....The Loudspeaker Store. They would be the be all end all of info on all things Speakerlab although there will be some to help in here too. Great speakers and great find!
  23. avguytx

Estate Sale Find! Cerwin Vega M-80 pair NIB

I spent 25 years, from 1984 till 2009, in home audio/video and car audio at retail level and manufacturers rep. I can't begin to count how many times we opened up stuff for demo, display, etc., and repacked it to make it look "as new". But at any rate, it does suck that 3 tweeters are...
  24. avguytx

FINALLY, onwardjames gets his tube amp!!!

@onwardjames What Speakers have you mainly been using? Or did I miss that part? The big EV's?
  25. avguytx

Does anyone recognize these MINI speakers?

Looks like one is a Minimus 7 and the others are those "KLH" style.
Back
Top Bottom