Search results

1. OldPolishGuy

Today's Female Jazz Playlist

Not really a "modern/today" Jazz vocalist but I'll offer up Blossom Dearie. OPG.
  2. OldPolishGuy

What was your first "real" stereo system?

Early 1970s, I'm guessing 1973, Marantz 2215 receiver, Phillips GA-212 turntable with B&O cartridge and a used pair of Empire Grenadier speakers, not sure of the model # but they had a single mid/hi freq driver only. A good sounding system but I never did get used to the sound of the Empires...
  3. OldPolishGuy

Handheld Oscilloscope reviews and recommendations

Not necessarily "hand-held" but portable, NLS (Non Linear Systems) MS15 or MS215 scopes. I've used a late 80s-early 90s MS15 for a number of projects. A fairly nice unit. Not sure what the used market is like. OPG.
  4. OldPolishGuy

Sherwood SEL-200

Congrats on the purchase of the SEL-200. When cleaned and adjusted it is a very nice sounding receiver. You'll love it. I bought mine from an AKer a few years ago. He went through it top to bottom. Super clean and great sounding. Of course, I'm not biased at all. OPG.
  5. OldPolishGuy

Anyone watching American Idol?

Is that still on? Haven't watched it in years.
  6. OldPolishGuy

What's the most embarrassing piece of music in your collection?

Bob Brozman's A Truckload of Blues CD. You'll have to research it/him and then decide for yourself. A great player non-the-less.
  7. OldPolishGuy

What's The Dumbest Thing You've Ever Done?

Not buying a used Audio Research SP3a-1 for $300.00 on the used shelf at a "hi-fi" shop I used to go to back in the 70s. OPG.
  8. OldPolishGuy

Jeff Beck has passed away.

Devastating news. Been busy with my own health issues recently and I just saw this. He wasn't much older than I am. A major loss. Saw him in concert with The Jan Hammer Group not long after Blow By Blow came out. Outdoor concert under the stars. Some amazing music. RIP Mr. Beck. OPG.
  9. OldPolishGuy

If you owned a company..

"Theram", a combination of thermionic amplifier. In the early 80s I was contemplating marketing a handmade low production tube power amp and pre-amp that I had been working on. When I costed things out I thought to myself "no one's going to pay this much money for a tube amp or pre-amp"...
  10. OldPolishGuy

Annoying Musical Instruments

As has been said previously, any instrument can be presented badly at any given time. For me, along with the bagpipes, it's the banjo. Claw hammer "roots" music just annoys the heck out of me. Now Bela Fleck with or without the Flecktones is quite different and is something I can enjoy. OPG.
  11. OldPolishGuy

Really cute little vintage amps- show us what you've got.

Along with QUAD of England noted earlier, the Lecson audio products is one of my all time favs. I'd buy the stuff even if it didn't work because it's just so cool to look at. OPG.
  12. OldPolishGuy

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

And a gracious good morning to you all. Last night's listening session was Alvin Youngblood Hart's "Motivational Speaker" album. Some nice riff heavy blues-rock power trio music with a few lighter songs in the mix. OPG.
  13. OldPolishGuy

Jackamo Records Ventura Ca

Good to know. My wife and I visit Ventura regularly as we live fairly close. Will have to check them out on our next visit. OPG.
  14. OldPolishGuy

Are MTV Awards valid anymore?

I agree with "Late Boomer". Still miss "That Metal Show". And yes, I understand why it's not coming back as it was and where to watch archived episodes. OPG.
  15. OldPolishGuy

Your last record/album

Mahogany Rush's Strange Universe. I bought the LP (vinyl) back when it first came out and still have it to this day. Just got the CD version a couple of days ago so that I can enjoy it in the car or elsewhere. Will also probably "rip" it to the computer. OPG.
  16. OldPolishGuy

Selling gear on Craigslist...Beware

Haven't used Craigslist to buy or sell anything on in over five years. Too many flakes and hassle to deal with. For me it's either Barter Town of Reverb. OPG.
  17. OldPolishGuy

Finally scored a pair of dynaco a-25. Chasing nostalgia.

I put together a system for my folks back in the mid 70s with the A-25s, Dual 1219 turntable and my old Marantz/Superscope 2215 receiver. Really nice sounding speakers and system. They kept it for years until moving back to Michigan. OPG.
  18. OldPolishGuy

Selling used gear is a frustrating ordeal!

Sold a fair amount of bikes (bicycles) and parts on Craigslist some years ago, electronic parts and musical instruments as well, before the "apps" became common place. Had a few flakes but most were genuinely interested and knowledgable about what I was selling and what they were buying. One...
  19. OldPolishGuy

Your favorite integrated's?

Back when I had hair, I was really close on buying a McIntosh MA6100. Had I bought back then, I'd probably still have it today. OPG.
  20. OldPolishGuy

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Last nights listening session......Rory Gallagher Live in Europe. Wow, so much great blues music I missed in my youth. OPG.
  21. OldPolishGuy

Singers you can't understand

Michael McDonald. I can understand a few things, but generally, no.
  22. OldPolishGuy

Someone asked my about my music likes and I really couldn’t describe it

Interesting topic. I've been told that I have "eclectic" tastes in music and the creative arts. I mostly like improvisational/"free-form"(?) Jazz to "fusion" Jazz; John and Alice Coltrane, Miles Davis, Mahavishnu Orchestra etc. Currently I'm into Snarky Puppy. OPG.
  23. OldPolishGuy

Recommend me some Osibisa albums (vinyl please)

Used to have the Woyaya album/LP and enjoyed it a great deal. It, unfortunately, disappeared over the years. Back when I was actively playing, the bass player in our group got tickets for a performance of theirs at U.C. Riverside. Must have been around 1972. A really fun group live...
  24. OldPolishGuy

Sherwood Stack

Not that I'm biased or anything, no pun intended, but a college buddy I was close with for a few years had, I believe, a USA made early 70s Sherwood receiver that I thought looked and sounded great. I've been through a lot of gear over the years and bought a fully refurbed Sherwood SEL200 from...
  25. OldPolishGuy

Today's Blues Playlist

Not sure if you'd still consider him a "blues" player anymore......Herb Ellis' Nothing But the Blues. Among many other of his recordings. OPG.
Back
Top Bottom