Search results

1. WobblySam

is 4K Audio any Good in SSL 2+

I think maybe you are confused. SSL makes studio gear for recording, but there is no such thing as 4K audio recording. I'm not familiar with the 2+, but I suspect it's probably a HI-Rez 24/192 recording interface. I know a few years back they had a 4000 series in their product folio - perhaps...
  2. WobblySam

Lunar Rover commercial

I was referring to Gene, the last man on the moon, considering a crater jump.
  3. WobblySam

Dubbing versus subtitles

My wife and I prefer subtitles. We've been watching a lot of "Walter Presents" shows and dubbing would be a disaster. Dubbing only works on Clint's spaghetti westerns.
  4. WobblySam

Lunar Rover commercial

I've seen it 3 or 4 times now. Two astronauts driving around on the moon in a reasonable facsimile of the lunar rover. The backing soundtrack is Smokey's "Cruisin'". They wheel around and head for a giant crater, gun it on a ramp of moon dust and jump the crater. I just love it and wonder -...
  5. WobblySam

Critical thinking

Skynet
  6. WobblySam

Critical thinking

It seems that critical thinking WAS common sense 50 years ago. With the extinction of common sense, we now have to specify critical or analytical to describe thinking that is not some type of dogma.
  7. WobblySam

Stereo Review Magazine

Steve Simels. His record reviews shaped a lot of my listening. It seemed that whatever he liked, I liked - don't know why, but if Steve gave it a good review, it went on my list. I had to have a list because I couldn't afford much more than one LP a month back then. I also enjoyed the...
  8. WobblySam

Will buying a new Harman Kardon receiver be a wise move?

How right you are. And despite what all the "safety at any cost" crowd says, those old receivers were assembled with good old 63/37 lead solder. The high density SMT boards now have their RoH solder and all the Tin Whiskers you could ever want. I would count on his Sansui, minus any...
  9. WobblySam

Texas Instruments New OP Amp

Do you mean for audio? I glanced through the data sheet and it seems to be an excellent candidate for data acquisition systems. It is indeed a precision amp - good for at least a14 bit DAQ system. Did you interpret it to be of particular interest for audio? I would be interested in your take...
  10. WobblySam

Chord mojo used as desktop DAC

Nice piece of work. Just remember to reconnect the battery and cycle it a couple of times a year. When you do start traveling, you'll still have a good battery. Cheers
  11. WobblySam

Focusrite 6i6 + Control, Analog passthrough or Digital?

It's been quite a while ago, I helped a friend set up his DAW with a 6i6. What are they are they up to now, Gen5? Anyway, my vague memory tells me the routing was all analog based on how you configured the software. If you "set" analog X input to analog Y output, it was directly routed- no...
  12. WobblySam

Digitizing VHS. Best way?

Just a reminder - Most all commercial tapes carried Macrovision copy protection. It weenied the sync signal making VCR to VCR copies almost impossible. I say almost because some of the better VCRs had timebase correctors and would copy the tape. Check to see whatever digitizer you select can...
  13. WobblySam

Rigol DG 1022 waveform/generator

As far as audio goes, the DG812 tops out at 10MHz - which is way more than you need vs 25MHz for the DG1022. The drawback for most arb generators is they are not necessarily geared toward hifi audio use. Many have very good phase noise specs which is nice for RF use and they generally have...
  14. WobblySam

Wall warts reading too high voltage output??

One option I have used with fans is one of the wall warts with multi-voltages. They have a little slide switch for 12V, 9V, 7.5V and 6V. It's a regulated switcher and you can set your desired fan speed with the voltage selector. Cheers
  15. WobblySam

Well, we can all breathe easier now

I recently read an article where a "committee" decided to cease publication of some of Dr. Seuss' books. I'm glad somebody is steering the ship.
  16. WobblySam

Ammo prices are REALLY getting crazy....

True. You do look a little light on the shotshells. Around 100 boxes per gauge is good and a dozen or so boxes of slugs. Cheers
  17. WobblySam

ADC with USB output

There are bluetooth adapters that connect directly to an analog stereo. These are BT transmitters and normally will work with most bluetooth audio devices. I'm not sure what your Plantronics dongle is for - unless it is to add bluetooth to a computer so that it will work with your headphones...
  18. WobblySam

CDPs of Years Past for Transport Duty

I would take look at the Pioneer Elite PD-75. I've had mine for around 25 years and have always used it as a transport. It uses the "stable platter" drive which was used on a number of high-end transports from Theta and others. I never really liked its sound as a CD player, but it is an...
  19. WobblySam

Frequency counter

>> The service manual requires 262.08khz for pitch control and 269.94khz for the pitch LED<< Those are some pretty tight specifications and accuracy requirements. While it may be easy to find a cheap frequency counter that will resolve the measurement, I doubt seriously if the inherent...
  20. WobblySam

wired or bluetooth?? sound quality?

First, you do know what Bluetooth is, right? It's a low speed protocol best suited to mice and keyboards. It's been "stretched", fiddled and tweaked to reasonably transmit digital audio. Despite all the various codecs today, it is still a compromise. Sound quality? That's a matter of taste...
  21. WobblySam

Does the source matter if using external DAC?

The Brennan will play Hi-Res or at least 24/96 FLACS (that's all I have available). The downside is that the Toslink out is limited to 16/44 due to the design with the Raspberry Pi. The Brennan is an interesting piece - it's been evolving since the J7 - a bit of an engineering project. I got...
  22. WobblySam

Actually, there is lots of stuff out there you could use. There are several "appliances" like those from Cocktail, Brennan, BlueNode and Sonos, etc. Laptops with USB DACs like you have now. Portable players from A&K, Fiio and others that have line out and huge micro SD storage capacity. Most...
  23. WobblySam

Yup. I first saw this type of combined port on a Sony TOL portable CD player. It had a line out combined with an optical out. This was like 30 or more years ago. Of course, at the time, the only place to get an optical cable like that was from Sony - for about $40. You can get those 3.5mm...
  24. WobblySam

CBS reboot - Equalizer

I saw an ad for this the other night.
  25. WobblySam

CD players...

I just noticed in an Audio Advisor catalog that Rotel has a couple of new players - one, a special edition and one, a high-end option. Might be worth taking a look at.
Back
Top Bottom