Search results

1. Isotonic

What is this?

All cleaned up. I looked at it closely with a magnifying glass. No sign of cold solder etc. Anyway, buttoned it back up. And it works great! Now onto plinth, arm, etc. Thanks for the help everyone.
  2. Isotonic

What is this?

Is this the remains of an ant infestation?
  3. Isotonic

What is this?

Here is the board, post brushing. And the other side. Some of the brown chunks flaked off easily. Should I hit it was some acetone? Or leave well enough alone? The board is sturdy. I couldn't tell you what it was made of. It was an early 80's unit I believe. I think it rotted for well over a...
  4. Isotonic

What is this?

Thanks everyone. I am about to go out of town for a couple of days. I need to get some alcohol and perhaps some acetone anyway. A little low on supplies. I moved cross country and had to get rid of all my chemicals. I did go over it with a soft toothbrush and it made a lot of difference. I...
  5. Isotonic

What is this?

Thanks. I'll try that.
  6. Isotonic

What is this?

I used my continuity checker to see if it was conductive. Doesn't appear to be. I found this with another in a trailer full of demolition salvage. The other one was restored and has been up and running for a few years. They were both filthy and packed with rat feces. This one worked, but there...
  7. Isotonic

What is this?

How do I clean it. Is this board toast? Refurb/recap SP10 mkii. Any thoughts? Thanks!
  8. Isotonic

Thiel CS2 decision time

9. Isotonic

DAC Recommendation with PRaT & Beautiful Colours?

Also, in the mixing room, you need absolute truth, so you can know what you are modifying. And modify they do. One of the old studio tricks was to check your mixes with Auratone speakers (designed to mimic 1970s car radios). The goal for many artists was to get hits on the radio. So they were...
  10. Isotonic

That's not true. Much of the mastering process is artfully applied EQ and compression. This also applies to tracking. There is no absolute flat. There is only more or less transparency. For example, I use to have a pair of Kef LS50 Metas. They measure very flat. And they sound pretty good. I now...
  11. Isotonic

Realistic Lab total turntables

I had a 440 for many years. Many happy memories discovering music with friends and alone. It had the R47XT cartridge. I thought it sounded great.
  12. Isotonic

DIY Cantilever Replacement Attempt no. 1

This sounds like a fun project for some of my almost dead stylus's. Thanks for the inspiration.
  13. Isotonic

I think you misunderstood. I think he uses DSP and it improves his enjoyment. I said, that I don't use DSP. The reason. I believe that the more you process the signal, the more you change it from the original recording. That's one reason. There are some really high end DSP based systems that...
  14. Isotonic

why are the old fisher speakers worthless?

Years ago, there was a thrift store in Austin that had a pair of XP-9s playing music all day. I loved them. They are not technically great. They are rolled off in the highs, with very little below 100hz. But there was something pleasing about the mids, even if the music pulsed from beneath a...
  15. Isotonic

Canton CT-2000 speakers

I had a pair of Ergos about 10 years ago. They were very nice all arounders. The cabinetry was also beautiful. I have hear several models, including budget priced ones and have always come away impressed.
  16. Isotonic

I have done measurements over the years. Sometimes they are helpful, but in general they are not useful to me. I have a very trained ear. I am a musician and have worked professionally in the audio world. Transparency is not difficult for me to discern. If I can hear it, I believe it. Besides...
  17. Isotonic

Could be. A lot of studio DACs and ADCs, as well as mic preamps, etc. come in an eight channel format. It's a standard that I am familiar with.
  18. Isotonic

I was not aware of these possibilities. I have not had a lot of success with digital EQ. My system is pretty resolving. I have found that in the end there is a net loss of information. But, I may not have tried the right products. I also suggest building the system around the room...
  19. Isotonic

I believe the 8 channel version was created for multi track studios. Or perhaps for surround systems. My understanding is that the stereo version is essentially the same, with processing power being focused on stereo, therefore a little bit better overall. Regarding PRAT. I mean in the analog...
  20. Isotonic

Great Plains Audio Closing !

We're getting old and disappearing. I've lost so many friends. Take care of those you call your own...
  21. Isotonic

Lance Cochrane tube amp - never got it working correctly

I read this entire thread. How unsatisfying. :whip:
  22. Isotonic

If you want to make decisions with testing equipment and you only trust double blind assessment, then make sure you leave the testing equipment up at all times. That way you will know for sure that you are enjoying yourself. As far as PRAT goes, get that quality downstream. Get a nice neutral...
  23. Isotonic

Qobuz - Observations

I likeit for sound quality and for classical music. I find more recent classical releases there. The interface is not intuitive, but it gets me places that I would not have found with Tidal or Spotify. I think it's more Eurocentric.
  24. Isotonic

Honestly expected more from an amp costing nearly $20,000.

They are terrible. But all it takes is one bad employee/trainee with a shitty attitude. There is a serious labor shortage. I wouldn't assume any more than that.
  25. Isotonic

Luxman R-117. What’s all the fuss about?

I've always wondered about that one too. I have heard nothing but praise for it. I believe that this was the era that Luxman was owned by Alpine .Not there best era, but I used to love the look look of the moving pushbuttons on some of their receivers. Let us know how it sounds.
Back
Top Bottom