Search results

1. mrphilco

Philco 40-195 tube radio

Yes! :music: When I began to dabble in vintage audio/stereo/hi-fi a decade or so ago, I accumulated a few solid state receivers and liked them. And then I acquired my first Fisher tube receiver, a TA-600. Once I restored it, I understood...there is nothing like the sound of a good Fisher tube...
  2. mrphilco

Philco 40-195 tube radio

Hi! Like your avatar, by the way... :thumbsup: $74.99 might be a fair price, if it looks as well as it seems to in the picture. HOWEVER Be advised that Philco radios made between 1939 and 1942, which includes this particular set, are full of dry-rotted rubber covered wires. By now, the...
  3. mrphilco

Found in a basement…Philco model 48-482

I spent too many years specializing in collecting Philco radios - notice my "handle". The 48-482 is one of their better table model radios, but watch out for that funky XXFM tube which is getting harder to find. With a good XXFM, the set will play well on FM. Without it...forget it. You can...
  4. mrphilco

Fisher tube receiver or tuner ID request please

I'm guessing it is a TA-500 mono receiver. Hard to tell due to the blurred photo, but a 90-T tuner-preamp would have "Anniversary Series" in script under THE FISHER on the dial glass. This one looks like it may read "MODEL 500". Edit: After looking more closely, the 90-T has six knobs; the...
  5. mrphilco

Your favorite Fisher tube gear

My favorite Fisher tube gear: TA-600 100-T (daily driver) 202-T 800-B FM-200 (brought back from parts)
  6. mrphilco

Fisher 202T Preamp-Tuner Information thread and roll call

I suppose I should mention that I finally joined the 202-T club in June 2021. The S/N is already in the first post above.
  7. mrphilco

Tell me about the Fisher 201 Stereo!

The 201 Futura is nice to look at, but it is a very low power, entry level receiver. Don't get me wrong - they sound OK if your interests are in background music or if you prefer to run your units at a fairly low level of volume (like me). If you want to crank the volume to 11 and entertain (or...
  8. mrphilco

Fisher 202-T with MPX 50 new purchase

Hi - Congratulations on your acquisition and welcome to the 202-T club! :) Please consider adding the serial number of your unit to AK member madwing's 202-T registry - see this thread for details. I can tell you that, unfortunately, there is no easy way to remove the tarnish spots from Fisher...
  9. mrphilco

Fisher 400 Faceplate cleaning

Thank you, Tim. The ad does say it "provides a transparent coating" so it might be just the thing we would need. Yeah, the price is ridiculous (both the product and shipping). It sounds like it is basically toning lacquer in a gold color. By comparison, most Mohawk and Behlen toning lacquer...
  10. mrphilco

Tim Are you referring to a translucent lacquer product which would not cover up the stenciling? If so, I would like to know where such a product may be obtained - it might come in handy in the future for the same purpose as you are considering.
  11. mrphilco

When I first became interested in Fisher equipment, I read - and tried - the "Deep Cleaning" method also. It didn't turn out so well for me; in fact I ruined a 440-T faceplate using the "deep cleaning" method. (Fortunately I found another on the auction site.) I then experimented with Mothers...
  12. mrphilco

What modern tubes are you using with your Fisher?

I have a set of four Soviet military 6P14P-EV tubes in place of 7189s in my TA-600 and they sound just fine. (It does have the IBAM mod.). These were NOS/NIB when purchased. I hesitated to mention that given today's world conditions, but I bought these a number of years ago. I also have a set...
  13. mrphilco

Fisher 100 FM Radio

That must be some kind of aftermarket add-on. My 100 does not have that.
  14. mrphilco

Blasphemy: I do not like the Tobin 104T Mods on my Bozaks

I'm not familiar with the Fortes but I still have my Bozak Urban B-302s in the living room; I'm listening to them right now in fact and I still love them.
  15. mrphilco

Color of Fisher Receiver Faceplates?

Nope. They are brass. I've removed both faceplates (to clean glass and replace lamps), and they are considerably heavier than aluminum. I've had a few FM-50-B tuners pass across my workbench, which have aluminum faceplates. The difference in weight is obvious.
  16. mrphilco

OFF Grid for a few days, maybe a week.

That's terrible!! And to ehoove (Jim) - my sympathies on your loss also.
  17. mrphilco

OFF Grid for a few days, maybe a week.

I too am very sorry to hear this, Larry. Prayers for you and yours.
  18. mrphilco

80-R

You're welcome, glad to help. For what it's worth, I use these. 0.01 uF. I've used these in literally dozens of antique radios and in every Fisher I have restored thus far with no issues whatsoever. YMMV of course.
  19. mrphilco

80-R

I always replace the death cap with an X1/Y2 rated safety cap. OBTW in case you're curious, here's what an 80-R looks like with the cabinet. https://ronsradios.com/2021/04/14/the-fisher-model-80-r-am-fm-tuner/
  20. mrphilco

80-R

:lurk: I also have an 80-R in its original mahogany cabinet. I have not done anything with mine yet. Congratulations and good luck.
  21. mrphilco

Hi Tom, Not that I am aware of. A few of my tuners with brass front panels had brown stains which I polished out...now the polished spots are lighter than the rest. :no: You can see such an example above, post #11, bottom center of my FM-200 photo. I know why (loss of lacquer coating), just not...
  22. mrphilco

202-R: FM-200:
  23. mrphilco

The 202-R and FM-200 tuners have the three grooves and are solid brass. Mine are, anyway. I could see a late production version of either having an aluminum faceplate since these were produced just prior to the rollout of the 1962 models which had aluminum faceplates.
  24. mrphilco

Some of the earliest stereo units had brass plated steel faceplates while others were solid brass. A magnet will easily determine whether the faceplate is brass or plated steel. The solid brass faceplates were used on the TA-800, 500-S, and tuners FM-50, 100-R, FM-200 and 202-R. This probably...
  25. mrphilco

Fisher 201 LED conversion

I used the Cool Blue LED bulbs sold on the auction site by seller projectblk86 for the fuse lamps behind the dial. Here is the replacement procedure, from the Fisher 202 service manual: REMOVING DIAL LAMPS (1) Unplug AC power cord. (2) Remove the screws securing the top and bottom covers of...
Back
Top Bottom