Search results

1. racca

Custom Electra V - Verifying new cap values

Thank you for the response, Larry. I will definitely verify everything before I make an order, and double check while I do the recap.
  2. racca

Custom Electra V - Verifying new cap values

10 years ago I inherited a Custom Electra V from my grandparents. It's been on my to-do list for a decade now. I finally managed to clean out a portion of the bedroom and the console has a permanent home. I am therefore determined to get it up and running this summer. To start, the console...
  3. racca

Opinion on room response of my room

I believe it. Microphones are very good at picking up noise that our ears easily ignore and filter out.
  4. racca

Opinion on room response of my room

Unless your carpet is 3-4 inches thick, floor bounce will still show up on in-room measurements. However, we’re very accustomed to floor bounce and our brains typically ignore it. Evolution and all that. what do the individual left and right channel plots look like? Given what you’ve said...
  5. racca

Apple buys classical music streaming service Primephonic

Maybe so, but as a classical music lover and Apple Music subscriber, I'm potentially thrilled by this.
  6. racca

What The Speaker Market Is Saying To Me!

I think the two questions to ask here are 1) what percentage do you think the L100s represent, and 2) what speaker(s) do you believe would represent the inflection point on the diminishing returns graph?
  7. racca

AK is 19 years old, so we're having a raffle.

March 20, 2014
  8. racca

Why are separate amp+speaker combo not used as often in Music Production, but powered speakers are?

100% agree. The only real difference between 'studio' and 'home' speakers is really in the fit and finish. High-quality wood veneers or paint jobs are a bit of a waste in a studio (although the owners are free to pay for them), and most studio-intended gear that I've seen is so ugly that I...
  9. racca

Hello from Italy

Benvenuto!
  10. racca

Have you ever gone to an Audio Show and what did you think afterwards?

I go to RMAF every 2-3 years, depending on how my schedule works out. It's a fun way to see and touch a lot of gear, but it is a very poor way to evaluate anything. There's a lot of noise, a lot of people moving around, and you can only listen to Tin Pan Alley so many times in one day. But I...
  11. racca

Pics of your listening space

This looks so classy. Love it.
  12. racca

Room treatment basics - what are the minimums that you do?

Honestly, the single best thing you can do is to get a UMIK-1 microphone (or similar option) and learn to take some basic measurements. Visually seeing what is actually happening, in particular with the potential imbalance between the two channels because one side has a wall and the other is...
  13. racca

Linton Heritage - large room

I purchased a pair and had them in a ~625 square foot open room. I returned them after a month. They have a very substantial bass hump and are rear ported, and with my layout, I wasn't able to get them far enough away from the walls to counteract that. They also drop off pretty hard on the very...
  14. racca

What's the backstory behind your Profile picture (Avatar)?

Mine is the Trinacria, which is the symbol of Sicily. I'm not Italian, but I lived in Sicily for a number of years.
  15. racca

Audio Community Phrases or Sayings that Make You Cringe.....

What? Both of these are used correctly. 'Harmonic distortion' literally just means distortion at a frequency that is a multiple (ie a harmonic) of the original frequency. And 'nominal' includes a definition that effectively means 'minimal, but may be higher.'
  16. racca

A Schiity Quandry - Vidar Advice

glad you got a good one. I went through two Vidars and you could hear the transformer hum from across the room, with terrible ground loop hum as well. Both problems that I had never experienced with any other gear before or since.
  17. racca

Some people like speakers that sound good better than perfect sounding speakers.

Even among brands and models developed to align with the current knowledge of what sounds best, there is a lot of variety. Once you factor in price, attractiveness, and other factors, there is a huge variety of combinations that can affect purchasing decisions. There are also other confounding...
  18. racca

Mandy Patinkin's system

Looks like an NAD 515 CD changer on the right, and a C328 or C338 integrated amp on the bottom left.
  19. racca

Goodbye Eddie Van Halen

Cancer sucks. Gonna build a memorial playlist for tonight.
  20. racca

The return of Leak

Some thoughts: 1. It's great that the walnut cases are a perfect match for the Wharfedales. I know it's because they're made by the same company in the same factory, but still. 2. I wish the CD Transport had a drawer instead of a slot-loading mechanism, but that's a minor complaint. 3. I'm very...
  21. racca

Some people like speakers that sound good better than perfect sounding speakers.

If only there were a society, perhaps comprised of audio engineers, that published peer-reviewed studies to help advance the science of sound reproduction. Perhaps such an organization could begin to determine what speaker characteristics result in accurate sound reproduction. I can't disagree...
  22. racca

1970's listening space - Please help contribute

like all things, used sparingly and as part of a cohesive design, wood paneling can look great. The real problem was it’s over abundance and the cheap vinyl fake version that got tossed up everywhere. in 40 years people will be looking back at shiplap the same way.
  23. racca

RMAF this weekend - Anyone going?

I first went to RMAF in 2010, and have gone every 2-3 years since. In my opinion, this has been the worst one yet. I've been struggling to really decide why. Part of the problem was the short exhibitor list -- it felt like there were way fewer exhibitors than there were in past years. Part...
  24. racca

2019 AXPONA and RMAF

I'm ALMOST in that picture. I would be just outside the frame on the left side. Apparently they didn't have the IDs printed in time. Definitely something that could be improved upon for next year.
  25. racca

JBL re-introducing the L-100

The JBL Instagram account posted that the L100s will be on display at RMAF. I'm looking forward to finally getting a chance to sit down and listen, even if it is under show conditions.
Back
Top Bottom