Search results

1. reydelaplaya

Favorite “One Liner’s” from albums??

Knowing the story behind the recording of Rumors, the whisper quiet exasperated “f*ck” at the very beginning of The Chain makes me chuckle every time, bro is struggling lmao
  2. reydelaplaya

Demo Song: One Shot to Demo Your System!

Slightly off topic but pertinent to discussion is Tracy Chapman’s self titled debut album. This was also originally released on CD as DDD. I’ve had mine since ‘88 when it came out. The recording is impeccable, and to top it off it’s an excellent album beyond the ever popular Fast Car...
  3. reydelaplaya

Demo Song: One Shot to Demo Your System!

Tough bcz I’ve actually got a few for different types of auditioning, but this song by Jerry Rivera is exceptionally recorded* and his band is all real instruments vs synths *careful, one of his other albums has a not so great recording of it - if you can find it, Lo Nuevo & Lo Mejor has the...
  4. reydelaplaya

Let’s see those table lamps - vintage or modern

LOL, that alarm clock is the one (repurchased on ebay) I had when I was a kid which is kinda why I wanted one again. The blue LEDs are dimmable with a turn of a knob(pot) at the back. It can get bright, but I've got it set fairly low. When we got wiped off the planet for a few months...
  5. reydelaplaya

I hate repairs- do you?

I'm with OP on this one. I'm all for trying to fix my own stuff when I can, but sometimes it's just better to find a trustworthy shop to do the work (of course, that being easier said than done). I got lucky, and scored a great repair shop right here in town when my GX9ES needed significant...
  6. reydelaplaya

HAIR METAL, list your one "guilty pleasure" tune!!

What about Guns N’ Roses? Do they count as a hair band - maybe on the fringe? Mr Brownstone has always been a favorite of mine, so I’ll toss it in here..
  7. reydelaplaya

You know, I was just thinking about this song the other day and it definitely fits on topic Not gonna lie I like it better than the original
  8. reydelaplaya

I see Mötley Crüe is already in here, but I’ll add Kickstart My Heart as my pick for guilty pleasure tune. At times I’ll pop in my Dr Feelgood CD just to play that one song. Lol *chinscratch* Does Aerosmith count as hair metal?, because that would open up a number of others to add..
  9. reydelaplaya

Favorite “One Liner’s” from albums??

“You took your time with the call, I took no time with the fall” Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepson I’m not embarrassed to admit that while I hated this song when it first came out, it is now one of my favorite modern bubblegum pop songs ever. Gotta stop thinking how cheezy it is and and how...
  10. reydelaplaya

Weird record cleaner

I have a Decca that uses a carbon fiber brush to not only sweep the record, but it also supposedly acts as an anti-static device courtesy of a little copper wire grounding pigtail that plugs into the back. It works great with its wide brush and tracks right along with(and ahead of) the tonearm.
  11. reydelaplaya

Old Farts And Music Hating: I Got To Say I Like This Stuff

I’ve skipped through the thread and I see both sides here, but I have to say these last couple years I’ve been introduced to some amazing new(er) music - music that I never would’ve been exposed to if I was as stubborn as I am old. Let me share a few with you all for your own enjoyment (or...
  12. reydelaplaya

Please Help Me Locate A Floating Neutral

Thank you for your replies, and I understand what you’re saying about it being a significant electrical issue. One thing I have determined is that the entire house is riding on that one leg (red wire in bottom center). The other phase (black wire hard to see at bottom right) connects in the box...
  13. reydelaplaya

Dude, this makes so much sense now. Thank you for uploading that vid (much better than the google’s flowcharts LMAO) His later example on the whiteboard shows exactly what voltages I’m getting around. I get this now.
  14. reydelaplaya

Ok, thank you for your reply. So if I understand, it’s likely not coming from inside the house? This is the pic (nighttime) of the connection on the roof.
  15. reydelaplaya

Hey folks, I realize Audiokarma isn’t exactly ‘Electrical Mains Forum’ but over the decade or so I’ve been here I’ve noticed a number of you are in the industry and know your stuff. I’d really appreciate your help please if you could. I’ve only briefly “worked” in the industry (a summer...
  16. reydelaplaya

Would anyone like to share the artwork they have in their listening room?

I’ve seen pics throughout AK, your house is an MCM dream. In fact, lots of great artwork and looks in this thread! I wish I had known when you were dealing with this rug problem, you could’ve at least tried how I managed to save a rug… I bought the rug hanging on the wall in this pic^^^ on...
  17. reydelaplaya

Vinyl to Digital: ADC

Yep, this is exactly how I do it too. Audacity was a little tough to figure out at first mostly because there’s just so much it can do, but the tutorials walked me through record recording and after a few I got the hang of it. Still have all of the original raw .wav files of each album saved in...
  18. reydelaplaya

Yes, pretty much. There’s included Creative recording software in the downloadable software pack for the X-FiHD, but I agree with @JoeESP9 that it’s mostly bloat (with exception of the actual drivers for the card). Audacity would be the way to go.
  19. reydelaplaya

Audacity has a built in RIAA setting in its equalizer somewhere in the filters which is quite detailed and fully user adjustable with standard RIAA being the default and you can save your variations
  20. reydelaplaya

The market would be for ppl like myself who have existing record players and existing receivers which already have a phono input. Aside from being an excellent usb soundcard for use with my laptop (to aux/tape in on said receivers) it’s simple to just hook up the TTs to the phono in on it to...
  21. reydelaplaya

That input is switchable Line/Phono so you can use your own RIAA preamp if you want. Or if you want, you can even record a record at line input without RIAA and then digitally apply compensation in your software recording app. Audacity has this ability and I’ve messed around with it a bit.
  22. reydelaplaya

The Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi HD external sound card does exactly what you’re describing. It has a phono-in (RIAA) to record records to digital files. https://us.creative.com/p/archived-products/sound-blaster-digital-music-premium-hd It’s a few years old, but maybe there’s a more...
  23. reydelaplaya

PC HeadPhone Amp ??

I might be a little late to the game here but in case you’re still looking for a PC compatible amp, I’d definitely recommend the one I’ve been using since I got my laptop in 2016 - a Creative Labs Sound Blaster XFiHD. It’s probably got a newer version out by now, but maybe there’s a few NIB ones...
  24. reydelaplaya

Let’s see those table lamps - vintage or modern

I recently scored a very nice reproduction Panton VP3 Flowerpot in light blue to put in this spot in my bedroom. It fits in perfectly with my MCM home and pulls the blue out of the pillows, and the rug "that really ties the room together" LOL
Back
Top Bottom