Search results

1. MCS Guy

mcs 3253,power transistors ???

the MCS 3253 uses NEC 2SB618 and 2SD588 "Bat wing" output transistors There is a substitution you can use, but its not a direct bolt in. https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-ka-3500-restoration.840144/page-2#post-13943371 There are a few other brands that use the same pair. If...
  2. MCS Guy

What MCS Receivers are quality NEC?

I'm pretty sure the MCS 6801 was a NEC built unit as well. Not 100% positive, but I saw it somewhere. I think it was the first CD player in the MCS line.
  3. MCS Guy

Am I becoming jaded?

I agree, but tend to err more on the side of caution. If they are truly optimistic and want to learn, then I will help. But in the real world, some would rather have someone tell them whats wrong because they might have seen the exact issue and can give them a easy way out. Thinking about it...
  4. MCS Guy

Am I becoming jaded?

I used to help anyone when I could on forums. But after many years of fixing vehicles and dealing with customers, I have come to the realization that people know little about the object they want to try and fix. Take the example, "My car is bucking and shaking, can you tell me whats wrong with...
  5. MCS Guy

91% isopropyl alcohol scarcity

Advance Auto, Wearever W7340 Non-Chlorinated Brake Parts Cleaner. Pretty much 90% alcohol in a spray can. Use it a lot for cleaning up flux from circuit boards.
  6. MCS Guy

Rare/little known/unique equipment

Pontus IC-500R. Stereo receiver that's about 50ish watts. It was a decent, Korean Made unit.
  7. MCS Guy

What YouTube channels on audio electronics repair do you like?

XrayTonyB and Mr. Carlson's Lab are main two that I watch. I browse 12VoltVids and Jordan Pier once a week to see if they have new/interesting videos
  8. MCS Guy

MCS 3233 right channel issues...

R537 is a dropping resistor in the power feed for the differential amp pairs in both channels. Since you had a channel with a bad output, please check all the transistors in that channel. They MUST be good or everything will keep failing. Extra points if you check both channels. Almost all the...
  9. MCS Guy

Anyone watching the Space-X launch today?

It's been raining almost all day. Had some lightning earlier. Starting to think it might be scrubbed. But if it goes, ill go in the back yard and watch it.
  10. MCS Guy

MCS 3223

yeah, that is the glue what when it gets hot and old turns acidic and causes havoc. Lots of manufactures back in the day use the same stuff and it causes lots of issues. When you replace them, make sure you get every bit of it off. I used an old exacto knife with a dull scraper.
  11. MCS Guy

MCS 3223

18 gauge is probably all you need. The brown fluid you see is probably the glue they used to stabilize the capacitor. Doesn't mean they are leaking, but being they suppress ripple, probably need to be change. Especially with high hours of use.
  12. MCS Guy

MCS 3223

It could work. You will need to tap the 12 volt supply from the tuner to power it. Now, if you do this, the capacitors in the circuit could keep the relays engaged for a few seconds when turning off. But it will stop the ba-bump on turn on. I used to use the Velleman K4700, but it has been...
  13. MCS Guy

MCS 3223

Basically the same as the 3233. Lower power (23 watts) and 1 less tape input. Uses the same MJ2955/3055 output pair with 2n6551/6554 driver transistors. Made in Taiwan. Decent build quality and seem to hold up well if not abused (too loud volume). The weak link for this receiver is no real...
  14. MCS Guy

SX-1000Ta, Need pictures of the W16-006 Board

I think the Q903 is the 2SC4217 transistor. The schematic doesn't list the number for Q903, but the SX-1000TD (which is similar) lists it as a 2SC486. The Sony 2SC291 is Transistor Q901, which the schematic calls for a 2SC283 (or 2SC627 for the 1000TD) In another thread for the SX-1000TD...
  15. MCS Guy

I put the power supply board on the back burner for now while going through the rest of them amp. I cannot seem to find a definitive answer for transistor substitutions. I don't like the TO-66 style transistor floating in mid air. Probably will draw out the board on some paper and see what might...
  16. MCS Guy

I pick this one up locally because I use to have one before it was blown from a lightning strike. Unit was working but it started emitting a smell of a bad cap. Took it apart to find a bunch of questionable work, so I'm making a BOM of parts and caps. Everything was going well till I came to...
  17. MCS Guy

Are CS-77's good if restored??

I ended up Converting my CS-77's to a sealed box. Removed the stock wimpy 12" woofer and installed a Dayton DC300-8 woofer. Rewired the crossover network based on a schematic from another forum, but left the wiring for the tweeter in place. I Improved the bass greatly and tamed that raucous...
  18. MCS Guy

Stories of the magic smoke releasing...

Sony 6050 receiver. Actual flames coming from the PS board and Transformer. Took less than 10 seconds
  19. MCS Guy

MCS 3285 Tuner FM Band Incorrect

Sorry I'm late. Here is a schematic of the 3285. Maybe someone can recognize how to change it. Edit:// Seems like the forums doesn't like a PDF that is 1.6MB. https://drive.google.com/open?id=11y3-QWooXR4J5mgwwXmTZq66eH3NEl7v Here is a link to google drive for the schematics
  20. MCS Guy

Jeff Dunham is an Audio Guy?

in one of the time stamps with Walter (5:19), I think there is a omnidirectional Speaker that the RtR is sitting on. I can see the lattice grill and a round top on it.
  21. MCS Guy

MCS 8320 crossovers

The 8320 Speakers were the Linear Phase, 10 inch woofer, with a single output adjustment for the tweeter. I'm pretty sure those were made by the same company that made the Technics ones as well. The Technics SB-L200 was the only one I could find that were close to the 8320, but the tweeter is...
  22. MCS Guy

Recapping: ESR values much better...before?

Please check out this video about ESR and caps. Start at minute 17:30. Capacitors are some of the hardest electronic components to test. There is no perfect tester or method. If anything, using several methods together paints a better picture.
  23. MCS Guy

Who is making alignment cassette tapes in 2020?

I just got my L04 alignment tape from A.N.T. audio about a month or so ago. With the stuff that's going on, maybe hes unable to check e-mail or other issues right now.
  24. MCS Guy

MCS 3233 with several issues to fix

You can adjust the DC offset by changing the resistance of the R507/R508 resistors. Only do this after you are sure that all transistors are well matched and resistors have not drifted with age or damaged from blown outputs. The original resistors are 1.2K. A change of 100 ohms its approx...
  25. MCS Guy

MCS 3125 Restoration

All it does is change the Clipping LED on the front panel to a different sensitivity. In the 8 ohm position, the light is on at 34VAC output and in the 4 ohm position, its at 25VAC output. The power meters are calibrated for an 8 ohm load and switching the Impedance switch doesn't change it
Back
Top Bottom