Search results

1. bobschneider

Bad Chinese translations make the world go round

My favorite is when Pepsi tried to translate their slogan “Come Alive with the Pepsi Generation” in Taiwan. What they ended up with was “Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the grave”. For some reason it didn’t help their sales
  2. bobschneider

AR 3 vs AR 4x speakers

The Classic Speaker Pages website has a very comprehensive guide to restoring the AR 3a http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/original_models_1954-1974/original_models_schematicss/restoring_the_ar-3a/
  3. bobschneider

Hi, Jan. The attached files might be of some help. Sean (HalfApt) did share a 2002 service...

Hi, Jan. The attached files might be of some help. Sean (HalfApt) did share a 2002 service manual with me, but I can't seem to find a copy right now. I believe he's still on AK, and so may be able to respond. Good luck!
  4. bobschneider

RIP Terry DeWick

Rest in peace, Terry. I still have an MR-78 he sorted out for me about 15 years ago. Still works great
  5. bobschneider

Citation II capacitor sizing question

Be careful with Solens in a Cit II. They can’t take the heat in the chassis. I used some Solens in mine, probably in the same position as yours. After a few years they showed noticeable heat damage - the outer layer had shrunk significantly. I replaced them with the Panasonics McShane...
  6. bobschneider

Accuphase A-70 voltage conversion

Every piece of Accuphase gear I've worked on had a power transformer which could be switched to a different input voltage. But the most recent gear I've switched is a few years older than the A-70, so they may have changed since then. I can say that they've made switching harder over the...
  7. bobschneider

Onkyo T-9090II APR Operation

On my T-9090II, the APR light comes on when the button is pressed, and then goes off once it’s done adjusting the settings. So I think what you’re describing is normal behavoir
  8. bobschneider

Nakamichi System One

$100 was a heck of a deal for that, even in rough shape.
  9. bobschneider

What's wrong with 80s Marantz gear?

One thing you should know is that in the 1980s Marantz was actually two separate companies. In 1980 Philips bought the Marantz name and business outside North America, as a way to get into the high end audio market. However, Superscope retained the North American rights. Superscope’s...
  10. bobschneider

Best Vintage Preamp

A lot of issues with the TAE-8450 are caused by the early double sided PCBs in the unit. The two sides connect by short jumpers soldered on both sides. The solder will rot on those after 50 years, and cause all kinds of trouble. The solution is to desolder and resolder every one of those...
  11. bobschneider

Restoring a Harman Kardon Citation II help with tube bias. No rear meter!

Jim McShane also sells a wiring harness kit for the Cit II. Enough wire to rewire the entire amp, in all the original colors. You still have to build the harness yourself (same as if you were building the original kit in 1962), which is a lot of work, but it’s worth it. It really helps if you...
  12. bobschneider

Reputable, used Hi-Fi dealers?

Saturday Audio Exchange in Chicago (near Wrigley Field). They've been around over 40 years, and have a huge selection of used gear. They also ship. www.saturdayaudio.com
  13. bobschneider

SACD player advice

I used to use a DVD-3910 in my main, audio only, system as a CD/SACD player. I was happy with it, but of course got the upgrade bug. I still have the Denon in storage - I’ll have to get it out and hook it up again
  14. bobschneider

Oppo BDP-83 as transport to PC USB DAC?

Remember that Sony developed the SACD format, and also has a very large record business.
  15. bobschneider

Pioneer PL12 sound has no depth

Have you tried connecting the turntable to the amp without the extension cable? Turntables put out very low signals, and the extension cable may be causing the problems you describe
  16. bobschneider

AR 3a’s: need rebuild, worth grabbing?

Do the woofers need refoming? That’s common with any but the earliest (desirable) cloth surround woofers. Dead mids or tweeters are likely bad level control pots, although original tweeters are likely down on level even if working, due to dried out suspension, but can be rebuilt or replaced...
  17. bobschneider

Advice on CD players Vintage Or Modern

I bought my 103 used specifically to be able to do that, when my old PlayStation finally bit the dust. Works great. I also have a 83 and a 205, both bought new. My 83 started acting flaky about 10 years ago, and Oppo fixed it for me for free. I also wish they hadn’t left the DVD player...
  18. bobschneider

Right to Repair and consumer audio?

As an Accuphase user, I'd be thrilled to see them required to release their service information to users. I'd be happy to pay them a reasonable fee for service info. Well, reasonable by my standards, but maybe not theirs :(
  19. bobschneider

Public Radio

There are hybrid models, too. WFMT in Chicago has some commercials but also has pledge drives. It started out as a fully commercial station, and its 98.7MHz frequency is well above the 88-92MHz public service part of the FM band. But as classical music became less commercially profitable it...
  20. bobschneider

Vintage Luxman vs modern Marantz

When I finished restoring my Luxman L-100U integrated it replaced my Marantz PM-11S1 in my living room system, driving AR 3a. I’ve been using the Luxman for about 3 months, and haven’t felt any need to put back the Marantz. I do occasionally miss the remote on the Marantz, though
  21. bobschneider

Refinishing walnut cabinets

Restore a Finish is intended to be used on wood which was already finished, not wood which has had the old finish sanded off. It won’t make a worn finish look brand new, but it will make the flaws less noticeable. Applying it using fine steel wool might help. I’d give it a shot on your...
  22. bobschneider

Onkyo T-9090II vs T-9990 vs T-G10?

I believe all 3 were basically the same tuner. T-9090II was the US model, T-9990 was the European version. T-G10 was the “Grand Integra” version, with fancier cosmetics to match the Grand Integra amps, but basically the same inside, although possibly with some upgraded parts. These are...
  23. bobschneider

Best 80s Turntable?

Back in the day the Linn LP-12 was considered high end. As was the Technics SP-10, especially the Mk 2 and Mk 3 versions.
  24. bobschneider

Technics SP-10 MK III

Yes, it’s very different than the Mk 2, where the external power supply is just that, with all the control circuitry built into the motor unit. The Mk 3 service manual shows that all the control circuitry is in the external box. So much for trying to use that Mk 3 motor with my Mk 2 power...
  25. bobschneider

Resistor in Accuphase C-230

Schematics for most Accuphase gear are very hard to find, since Accuphase keeps them private. Have you tried to find the same section of the other channel and read the same resistor there?
Back
Top Bottom