Search results

1. Poinzy

Yes, vinyl really does suck. Welcome back to Earth.

Yes, vinyl really does suck. Welcome back to Earth.
  2. Poinzy

Albums with inherent distortion?

That day when you discover that there are such things as quality control problems with vinyl. Welcome to my world, 40+ years ago.
  3. Poinzy

Question about Capturing Vinyl onto Tascam DR-05

Yeah, that's another possibility. I'm sorry you have to buy some extra thing to control input gain at line level, but some kind of external unit is essential, I"m afraid. The DR-05's onboard gain control is perfectly adequate when using the integrated mics.
  4. Poinzy

My DR-05 was connected to a small mixing board, with a dedicated gain control. I had no problem optimizing the signal level on the DR-05 when I did that. I made lots and lots of digital recordings of old shellac records with no issues whatsoever. I just wouldn't recommend plugging a phono pre...
  5. Poinzy

Too late, I think. The OP bought the DR-05.
  6. Poinzy

I've used the DR-05 for line recording, and the line inputs are very sensitive. Start with input gain set to zero. As a recorder, the DR-05 is extremely reliable. Unlike your computer, it only has one job. I'd be surprised if you experienced any recording glitches with your DR-05. Just watch...
  7. Poinzy

Most compelling replacement stylii?

"Compelling"?
  8. Poinzy

Some people have an IQ rolloff. :D

Some people have an IQ rolloff. :D
  9. Poinzy

Shure M97xT cartridge

I think the "M97xE rolls off in the treble" is a bunch of B.S. myself. Who started this urban legend, anyway? I think the people saying that stuff about the M97xE must have serious hearing-loss issues. I avoid Grado because of the hum gamble. Grado is, apparently, just too gosh-darned wonderful...
  10. Poinzy

There's no way to prevent damage to vinyl records. You can only minimize it. 2 things that help...

There's no way to prevent damage to vinyl records. You can only minimize it. 2 things that help: good stylus condition and low VTF.
  11. Poinzy

Vinyl fans are still debating technical issues that were settled decades ago, by engineers with...

Vinyl fans are still debating technical issues that were settled decades ago, by engineers with sophisticated lab equipment.
  12. Poinzy

Digital is Monty Python's King Arthur to vinyl's Black Knight. Vinyl's single virtue is it's...

Digital is Monty Python's King Arthur to vinyl's Black Knight. Vinyl's single virtue is it's complete refusal to accept defeat.
  13. Poinzy

Vinyl damage starts the very first time you set the needle on a pristine record, even at the...

Vinyl damage starts the very first time you set the needle on a pristine record, even at the lightest tracking force. Sorry, vinyl fans.
  14. Poinzy

I encourage people NOT to just take my word for anything. Look up the information yourself. (I...

I encourage people NOT to just take my word for anything. Look up the information yourself. (I say this, despite knowing it won't happen.)
  15. Poinzy

Heavy tracking carts - am I damaging my records?

Yes. You really shouldn't track above 2 grams. It's tracking force that's primarily responsible for record wear.
  16. Poinzy

Turntable Help Question

I suspect an issue with the amp connection. If it were me, I'd test again, but this time with a phono preamp connected to live-level amp jacks.
  17. Poinzy

Why do So Few of Us Post Our Locations?

If you've ever spent any time on Twitter, you've learned not to let strangers know, with any degree of precision, where you live.
  18. Poinzy

Can I connect a cassette tape to the VCR audio in jacks/out jacks on my preamp?

Yes, because those are what's known as "line-level" inputs. The components you're interested in produce line-level signals.
  19. Poinzy

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

"Soldier, Let Me Read Your Letter." Benny Goodman.
  20. Poinzy

Wagner. 'Siegfried's Rhine Journey'. NY Philharmonic, Arturo Toscanini conducting. Digitized and formatted to stereo from monophonic shellac recordings.
  21. Poinzy

Net Streams vs. CD's

I can think of a lot of reasons: more careful mastering of the streamed content vs. the CD, not enough controls in your listening tests, better audio circuitry in the streaming setup, etc., etc....
  22. Poinzy

Tough critic!

"You moved the fern. Where is it?"
  23. Poinzy

That "magic" you think you hear in the sound of an idler-wheel turntable is probably rumble.

That "magic" you think you hear in the sound of an idler-wheel turntable is probably rumble.
  24. Poinzy

"I Miss You So." Liberace. I think this was my grandmother's record. Anyway, that's my story, and I'm sticking with it.
  25. Poinzy

Despite the warning not to judge a book by its cover, people will, nevertheless, judge a book...

Despite the warning not to judge a book by its cover, people will, nevertheless, judge a book, or anything else, primarily by its cover.
Back
Top Bottom