Search results

1. V

Scott 477 receiver question

Thanks guys for the info on the Scott transistor. Would have taken me weeks to figure out what you did in minutes.
  2. V

Scott 477 receiver question

Purchased a Scott 477 receiver in excellent exterior condition - not a scratch of the face. Ran it for about two weeks in the insides caught firs, Actually, two resistors on the output board went up. I traced the problem to a pre-output driver motorola transistor. A pretty standard looking...
  3. V

40,000 watt Stereo literally blows your hair back!

The Eminent Technology sub would be perfect for large movie theaters. The sub and its installation is expensive, but a reasonable business expense for an I-Max or large 3D theater. Listening to music is noble...
  4. V

40,000 watt Stereo literally blows your hair back!

Bruce Thigpen of Emminent Technology developed the most powerful sub I have ever heard. It was at winter CES in Vegas a few years back. The unit was a huge fan. Bruce designed it to modulate frequency by changing speed and amplitude by changing the pitch of the blades (at least I think it...
  5. V

Where should you place your best Power Cord?

Your power amplifier with its larger power supply puts demands on your ac that source components do not. Put your best cord on the power amp. If you acquire a new cord and using it results in an image shift to hard left or right, or images become diffuse with a change of tonality, it is likely...
  6. V

NEW: The Audiophile Weekend Warrior site

Marc is a class act that is trustworthy and worth a serious reading. He will not betray your trust - plus he's like really smart. He's fully capable of circuit analysis, knowing more about circuit construction than most manufacturers. Good reading...
  7. V

Investigating speaker wire: recommend two that sound obviously different

No rule is absolute in audio, but for the most part, I don't care for the sound of plated wires... Good listening...
  8. V

What cartridges are we using?

Clearaudio Maestro
  9. V

An audiophile has died: David Ogden Stiers

David Ogden Stiers has died from colon cancer. Stiers was a true audiophile and music lover. Unlike so many tv stars, Stiers did not crave attention nor did he try to focus the spotlight on himself. I first met David in the early 1990s at the Chicago CES. He was in the Lineaum room checking...
  10. V

Reasonably Rare Find. I think?

If I recall, Roy Hall imported those to the States. They are a nice speaker. Good listening...
  11. V

Best speaker score under $100

Paid exactly $100 for my KLH 5 pair. Elderly couple had them in Fort Wayne, Indiana - physically perfect. Paid $11.00 for a rough pair of Jensen Model 15. Rebuilt from the bottom up... all recapped and refoamed. ..Yummy old style sound. Good listening...
  12. V

KLH Model 5's, Finally I Scored!

Played with the controls till blue in the face. Even pulled the tweets and installed a set of Philips domes from a pair of Avid 103s. Much to our surprise, the sound did not change. It's my understanding that when I bought my 5's in 1975, the model was nearing the end of it's production run -...
  13. V

During my years as a reviewer I had the opportunity to audition many speakers - not only in my home, but at CES in Chicago, then in Las Vegas. Some of my favorites over time were the VMPS RM40, Silverline LaFolia, Merlin VSM, Speaker Art Super Clef, Krix Euphonix, Osborn Eclipse, ACI Sapphires...
  14. V

Makes me wonder... When I bought my first pair of KLH 5 speakers back in 1975, I auditioned the speaker in a nice audio shop near Chicago. I remember loving how they sounded. I ought a pair, though not the pair I auditioned, they stayed on the shelf at the store. When I got them to my dorm...
  15. V

Nice job with the crossover. I love the KLH 5. Bought my first pair in 1975. Let them go. Came back in 2012, and I'm glad I did. Listen regularly my 5's and a rebuilt pair of AR3a's. Viva la differance!!! Good listening....
  16. V

New Tweets for AR3a

SPARK1, you are correct, I should have said .05 and .025. I should have been more careful. Many thanks to StimpyWan for the links on replacement tweeters - very cool. After many hours with the HiVi tweeter, I'm thinking that the old AR3a tweeter was having a hard time meeting up with the...
  17. V

New Tweets for AR3a

2 inductors in series? Yes, if I recall, the article called for .7 inductance. All I could find was a .5 and a .25. Wiring them in series gave me .75, which I conidered close enough to .7. Sounds great.
  18. V

Re-threading tuner

What kind of store sells bees wax?
  19. V

New Tweets for AR3a

Sorry to take so long to get back. I used 2 new HiVi tweeters as suggested. I also made the crossover changes exactly as stated in a 3a rebuild article (2 inductors in series). I did not change polarity on the new tweeters. I'm not big on testing, but I know that we had to limit bandwidth...
  20. V

New Tweets for AR3a

Tweeter on my 3as blew and I was't even crancking them. Didn't even notice for a while, I hadn't been listening closely, background stuff mostly... Enormous decision had to be made. Finding a replacement proved difficult... just couldn't find something I was happy with. I wanted to keep the...
  21. V

Re-threading tuner

Thanks for the moral support as well as superb suggestions by all above. I've sorted out the proper string path, got close a couple of times thought I had it perfect, then the string wrapped around the tuner knob slipped... turning the knob did not advance the string in either...
  22. V

Re-threading tuner

I have a Kenwood 60-30 receiver that lost its thread in the tuner section. Found a totally roached 6030 and bought it just for the intact thread it had. Putting the new tuning thread into my original unit has proved very difficult. Any suggestions for re-threading an old tuner? Maybe a...
  23. V

Any thoughts on Audia products?

All of the Audio Flight components are superbly well built and beautiful to look at. I've had my eye on the 50 watt, class A amp. Audia is easily in the same rank as Levinson, Krell and Pass. Good listening...
  24. V

Bent Audio Slagleformers: my passive preamp endgame

DeeCee...nice review! You captured my thoughts on the Sonic Euphoria perfectly - a transparent window back to the original performance. And the review was very well written! Good listening...
  25. V

Bent Audio Slagleformers: my passive preamp endgame

The first time I was able to hear an "autoformer" based passive, I flipped out. My complaint against passives prior to that was a lack of dynamic slam and energy - everything else was great. The autoformer passive had everything I needed dynamically along with gorgeous tones and tone color. I...
Back
Top Bottom