Search results

1. lokerola

Lokerola’s Pioneer PL-41 restoration

Very used Pioneer PL-41 arrived today. Despite it running hilariously fast, it still sounds pretty decent and feels pretty solid with a VAS retipped Denon 103 on it. I don’t think any maintenance has ever been done to it. Here’s the plan for this winter. - Install delrin bearing and gasket -...
  2. lokerola

Recommendation for Sansui 1000x recap/refresh?

Hello fellow Sansui fans! I have a working 1000x receiver that needs a refresh. It needs a tuner alignment, troubleshooting of the right preamp out channel, a recap, and general going over. Could anyone recommend an AK tech or commercial shop that does good work on Sansui's? Feel free to PM...
  3. lokerola

Lokerola's EPI M400 Restore

This thread is to document the restore of my EPI M400 speakers. The is going to be a bit of a "resto-mod" with a replacement of the crossover and all drivers with new ones from human speakers. Why new drivers, you ask? Well, three of the woofers are blown and I know how good the new drivers...
  4. lokerola

New to me EPI 400's

Bought these off the bay and picked them up today. Holy heck, never thought I'd own speakers heavier than my Cerwin Vega's, but here we are. The CV's are listed at 56lbs each and the EPI's are 90lbs each. Despite the heavy weight the EPI's are pretty easy for two people to move since they're...
  5. lokerola

Parasound under new ownership

Pretty interesting. We'll see what happens to the company after the sale. Hopefully they stay in business, I always liked their gear. https://www.stereophile.com/content/parasound-under-new-ownership
  6. lokerola

Beater Spendor S3/5 paint project

A year or so ago I ordered a pair of Spendor S3/5's from an online seller (not AK barter town), and they threw them into a box with no packing material. They arrived with almost every corner dented. Miraculously the drivers were all intact and they sounded wonderful. I got most of my money back...
  7. lokerola

Spendor S3/5 revelation

Well, I’ve been struggling with bass in my listening room. In this small space I really need some big bass traps, and probably a lot of them. I’ve been swapping in my OHMs, my Revels, and even my Cerwin Vegas. But bass has always been a bit overpowering in this room. For grins and giggles I...
  8. lokerola

Coming to grips with poor quality records

So I recently upgraded my analog front-end; new Technics table, new Parasound jc3 jr pre, and an AT OC9 cart. I've spent the last week and a half cleaning records and going through my entire (modest) record collection. I really only like about 50% of my records. I've kept old records from my...
  9. lokerola

Remote control tip for Schiit Freya+ owners

Before we start this tale, I want to lay the groundwork by saying the remote for the Freya has always been finicky. You have to point the remote directly and straight-forward at the IR sensor for it to work. If you are "off-axis" at all, the remote won't work. But here's where it gets...
  10. lokerola

The evolution of a basement listening room and building acoustic panels

It's taken me about two years to get here, but I'm pretty much done with my listening room. Below is a short pictorial history of the remodel. Last weekend I built my first set of acoustic panels. They came out very well I have to say. The basement is split in a two sections, a front...
  11. lokerola

Sub hookup using high level inputs only?

So I've used my Rythmik sub using the line in from my AVR for a few years and it works fine. I'd like to try it in my 2 channel system (prima luna preamp and dynaco amp), but the PL doesn't have a sub out. The Rythmik only has high level (speaker) in, no high level out. If I run speaker cables...
  12. lokerola

Admitting you're a rock speaker guy

I've spent too much covid time browsing small fancy audiophile speakers, thinking that once my basement listening space is finished that I'll downsize from my Cerwin Vega's to something more appropriate to the room. Then I blast some Queen on the Vega's and I just smile in rock and roll...
  13. lokerola

New Amp Day! Marantz HD-AMP1 review

I received my new integrated Marantz HD-AMP1 today, and oh boy is it fantastic! I've had the HD-CD1 for a while and decided to pick up the amp to create the matching set. According to reviews, when Marantz released these it was to revive their "Music Link" range, which was audiophile grade gear...
  14. lokerola

Interesting observation on sibilance

I have an original 1968 pressing of a Kenny Burrell record. It's in great shape except I hear sililance in the upper register. When Kenny hits those high notes there some "fuzz" or sibilance. I cleaned the record with an ultrasonic cleaner, read threads about SRA and cartridge alignment...
  15. lokerola

Rant - miniDSP is a giant PITA

Warning - this post contains me ranting about miniDSP. I'll preface this by saying I'm not an electrical or acoustic engineer. I have however been in IT for more than a few years...and let me tell you that the miniDSP and Dirac Live software have made me want to throw my laptop across the room...
  16. lokerola

Lokerola's small office space

I wasn't planning on putting music in my small office, but I figured "What the heck, I'll grab some spare gear from the basement and see how it sounds". I am totally blown away by the synergy and full, rich, sound of this system with these modest, and frankly, weird mix of old and new...
  17. lokerola

New M-5000 amp

Just happened to be browsing Yamaha's US site and saw their new M-5000 amp. Man, it looks absolutely TOTL. And it's $10 grand. OUCH. But it's a beauty for sure. https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/m-5000/index.html
  18. lokerola

115v vs 120v power transformer Dynaco ST70?

Hello good folks of AK who know loads more about tube amps than I ever will - I have a question for you. I went down the rabbit hole of reading about modding Dynaco ST70's and I read a lot of threads about people having issues with modern electrical/power from the house system being over 120v...
  19. lokerola

Organizing music and genres within Spotify?

Question for the Spotify users - how do you organize your playlists within Spotify? I'm amassing quite the collection of music and it's starting to feel like I need to re-organize how I do playlists. I've started with folders for genre's, i.e. Jazz, Rock, Classical, Blues. When I find music I...
  20. lokerola

Thank you kirkendoll - Luke!

Audiokarma is such a great place! I posted a WTB over in Bartertown, looking for a pair of woofers for Small Advents. Luke (aka @kirkendoll ) replied almost immediately with a pair he had. He actually tested them before offering to ship at a very reasonable price. Thanks @kirkendoll !! The...
  21. lokerola

Free (to me) Advent Small Speakers

I just couldn't turn down a pair of free Advents. They are probably worth what I paid for them (see condition below,) but I do love a good project. 1. Cabinets - Pretty good actually. Intact, no major damage, scuffed up and dirty. Corners are a bit dinged up. Veneer is vinyl, not wood. 2...
  22. lokerola

Help measuring a resistor (solved - bad resistor)

AK - Hello and a request for some help. I received 4 new power tubes for my ST70 today. One of the tubes biased WAY high, like 16, instead of the .4 (I have the VTA board and each tube has it's own bias adjustment on the board). I moved the tube, expecting the tube to be bad. But the biasing...
  23. lokerola

New BlueSound Node2i and question re: Roon

Well, I pulled the CCA out and put in a new BlueSound Node2i. Running it out via Coax to the Parasound D/AC-1100 (via ifi SPDIF). Sounds pretty great so far. Are there any Node (or non-Node) users who like Roon? I've never used it, but just wondering what your experience is. I know they have...
  24. lokerola

Boo! The toslink on my Parasound D/AC-1100 died

My Spotify stream has been cutting in and out through my CCA and Parasound D/AC-1100 the last week. Frankly I've been suspecting the CCA, just because it's a fairly cheap little thing and the Parasound is a big beast. But I swapped the CCA and digital cable over to my Topping D30 and BAM! Back...
  25. lokerola

Quick Tidal review - not so great

I've been using Spotify for a while and thought I'd give Tidal a try, just to see what the differences were. - It was hard to get past their trial paywall to download the app - Once I got signed up it took a while to discover that you can't stream to CCA from their desktop app. That was...
Back
Top Bottom