Search results

1. olddude55

Help with Fried Model RIIs

Oh, they work great and sound great but I can't find out a damned thing about them other than that they're transmission line and they use KEF drivers. The seem to be reasonably efficient, but I can't find any specs, any reviews, etc. I'd love to know this stuff and other things too, like MSRP...
  2. olddude55

Dual 1264 cartridge/stylus replacement

AT VM540ML. While I haven't used the cartridge in a 1264, I have put many hours on it using a Dual 1209, 1219, and 1229Q. Fantastic cartridge. If you don't want to spend that much, the VM95ML is $90 less.
  3. olddude55

KEF B139's

I have a pair of Fried Model RII that use the B139 woofer (SP1044). One of them makes a rubbing noise for no apparent reason, but I had no problem finding a good used replacement on Ebay.
  4. olddude55

Keeping track of stylus hours

Digital kitchen time set to count up. Every 20 hours, I open a ledger and add 20 hours to total. Reset timer.
  5. olddude55

Grado Opus3 review

Mighty impressive. Looks better than the last JICO SAS I used.
  6. olddude55

Grado Opus3 review

How did you get a microridge on a Grado? I've believed for the last few years that the ideal cartridge would be one that sounded like a Grado but tracked like an AT.
  7. olddude55

Fried Speakers

I feel your pain. I had the protection circuit fail on an amplifier and it sent DC straight to the speaker. Burned up the tweeter in a large Advent to the point that I could smell it. Did PSB us proprietary drivers, or did they buy them from a supplier like Seas? If the drivers came from a...
  8. olddude55

So it’s 1971 and you need a turntable...

Ditto. Hands down, and yes I have a Dual 1219 and a 1229 to compare it with.
  9. olddude55

Fried speakers...

No, not "fried" like in fried eggs, but Fried as in Bud Fried. I've got a pair of Model RII that were given to me several years ago. Needed a tweeter replaced (replaced them both with the proper NOS tweets). I've used these in my system before but they really sound good now. Seem to be a...
  10. olddude55

V15II help, on a AR XA

I've got a V15II mounted on my own AR XA. There was an Ebay seller who had NIB Type II Improved styli for sale at a reasonable price. I'm using one now. I strongly suggest you check Ebay to see if there are still any for sale. IMO, nothing beats an original Shure stylus for this cartridge.
  11. olddude55

Monteverdi , y'all ever seen one??

And mine. Very much like the Rotel RP-1000Q I had back in the day, which was also made by CEC.
  12. olddude55

To Mod or Not to Mod - That is the Question

Believe it or not, it was Origin Live. At least it was supposed to have been. There was so much clearance between the weight and the end stub that tightening the grub screw caused the weight to rock in one direction or the other. Setting VTF was massive trial and error, trying to find a spot...
  13. olddude55

The glass platter rubbed on the motor pulley. The custom wiring wasn't properly grounded and hummed like mad when I used any MM cart. The end-stub/counterweight were so poorly made that it once took over an hour to set VTF. Tightening the grub screw changed the VTF by as much as half a gram...
  14. olddude55

The Planar 3 and the Planar 6 share the same arm, motor, and main bearing. The Planar 6 has a foam core plinth that's lighter and stiffer. Both TTs have float glass platters but the platter for the Planar 6 is mutli-layer and has more of its weight concentrated near the outer edge for more of...
  15. olddude55

IMO, the electronic speed control is mostly for convenience (yes, it can be adjusted, but I doubt I'll bother--it's close enough to my old TT that I don't notice any difference in speed). It's really sweet having the ability to change speeds at the push of a button instead of having to remove...
  16. olddude55

Another vote for the Planar 6 (disclaimer--I bought one about a month ago). Planar 3 and Planar 6 use the same arm and motor, but you'd spend more money getting a Planar 3 and then upgrading to the electronic speed control and the metal sub-platter than if you just bought the Planar 6, and you'd...
  17. olddude55

Mostly New Stuff, Ok to ask about TT Pre-amp ?

DB Systems makes an MM-only preamp, very clean, very accurate, can be had new for your budget if you don't use MC carts. I had one, it was pretty good.
  18. olddude55

question about afermarket styli for vintage carts

If it were my money, I'd buy a new current production cartridge before I'd buy one from the aftermarket. Or, if you have an AT20SS and want a stylus for it, check current production AT line to see if there's a replacement stylus for a different model that will work with the 20SS.
  19. olddude55

Help identifying stylus on Shure V15 III?

If it has the Shure logo on it, it's probably a Shure stylus. Shure made conical, elliptical, and hyper-elliptical styli for the V15III. Some pictures would help. My first Type III was bought brand new and it sounded very good, better IMO than the Type IV. Had an elliptical stylus. The...
  20. olddude55

AR-XA Pulley issue

Is it just the pulley not turning or is the motor stopping? The old motor on my XA went bad to the point that if I used a brush on the LP before play, the platter wouldn't come back up to speed.
  21. olddude55

PAT-5

Is the Schiit Saga on your list? Made in USA and can be used as a passive preamp. Never heard one, just FYI. Have heard the PAT5, agree with you 100%.
  22. olddude55

Pseudo-Stereo LPs and Needle Drops

Got to agree. It's not as good, but it's still an improvement on turning the treble up on one channel and down on the other.
  23. olddude55

I used Wave Repair for ripping, but it's been a while...I know I recorded several fake stereo records as mono, but can't remember for sure if it did the rip in mono or folded both channels into mono post-rip. Was going to suggest originally that you use a mono switch but the tape outs from a...
  24. olddude55

Does your recording software have the ability to rip in mono? Best way to deal with these old monstrosities. Yeah, I hate those words--"Electronically Rechanneled to Simulate Stereo"--and I avoid them like the plague. But the record companies had a nasty tendency to hide the disclaimer in...
  25. olddude55

AR-XA Pulley issue

Just checked my own XA. With no LP on the platter, it sits 6 mm above the top plate. You may need to tighten the suspension springs (something I've never done) or check the main platter bearing well and make sure there's a Delrin thrust washer at the bottom (should be white). That thrust...
Back
Top Bottom