Search results

1. MKG

AkitikA GT-102 unboxing/build/review

it’s been a few years, but I don’t recall doing any modifications to the build so I’m guessing that the ground loop breaker was part of the kit.
  2. MKG

AkitikA GT-102 unboxing/build/review

Bare essentials: A good temperature controlled soldering iron (personally, I wouldn’t go near a circuit board with a soldering gun- tips are too large and it’s too easy to damage a board). Flux & Rosin (flux for the board, rosin for wires). Solder (I’m a big fan of 60/40). Rubbing Alcohol to...
  3. MKG

Well tip for soldering irons?

I should prolly mention that I’ve been using rosin up until this point. Liberally applied with a q-tip. Seems like this may work better. I hope.
  4. MKG

Thanks to a very helpful message and a little bit of research, I now have a liter of liquid flux from MG Chemical (no affiliation) on the way. According to the YouTube, with a bit of practice it should help me to do clean drag soldering on smd IC’s, as well as clean up my bridges pins. Fingers...
  5. MKG

I’ve got a few tips that I’ve filed smaller, but once you file a tip it doesn’t hold the solder like it used to even after re-tinning.
  6. MKG

And it’s very possible that it’s just my shitty googling skills. given that I used to do graphic and web design for a living, that’s saying far more than I want to admit to- but the world has changed.
  7. MKG

I’ve got no problem properly placing my smd components- my problem is soldering the pins when they’re very close together. When I’m dealing with an IC that has significantly less than a millimeter between pins, and my fine tip soldering iron is 1mm, there’s not really any room for me to place...
  8. MKG

Tried solder wick, wasn’t a fan of it even for larger parts- that and cheap solder suckers is what drove me to buy a desoldering iron. But, maybe I’m doing it wrong? I apply flux to the board first, and tin one point so that I can heat up that point and position the ic or other smd component...
  9. MKG

So, I’ve been doing a lot of smd soldering lately. I find surface mount frustrating as hell, but because of that I can’t blow through a project as quickly as I can a through hole or point to point. given the whole plague thing, I’ve had significantly more project time. I’ve killed two boards...
  10. MKG

Subtraction's official dumpster fire thread

One other thing- I took one of my spare tips for my desoldering gun and bored out the hole to make it easier to fit over larger components with fat legs. I also give the leg a little wiggle as I’m pulling the gun off to make sure it’s free on all sides. also, apply a little fresh solder to the...
  11. MKG

Other people will chime in here with their knowledge and experience- personally, when desoldering or soldering, I prefer a hotter setting so that I can be and out in a shorter amount of time- just be aware of the heat tolerance of whatever you’re soldering, and use a clamp on heat sink when...
  12. MKG

You gotta start somewhere. I’d suggest learning on a random piece of crap from a thrift store. And maybe assembling a few small kits while learning what each thing is. And buying a desoldering gun. Can’t tell you how many pads I lifted before purchasing one, but it was a lot.
  13. MKG

hafler dh-200 issues

Good point. It died and no longer allows voltage to pass through, so attaching it to the caps did nothing. I should have checked it with a multimeter regardless, so this **** up is *all* on me. wont repeat that mistake again at least.
  14. MKG

hafler dh-200 issues

Ended up killing one of of the p channel output mosfets. There is a company that makes new replacements at $30 each, but if you’re cheap like me, this guy on eBay has sets of p & n channel used replacements @ $15 a set. I bought myself two sets, he still has another available. no affiliation...
  15. MKG

Shopping for a soldering station

I’ve got a Stahl Tools DSDS that I love, think it was about $150. But, spare dsss soldering irons for it have been out of stock for months.
  16. MKG

What did I take and will I ever get over it? I hate doctors.

I installed a Kohler pressure assist toilet that I love. It’s the little things that make me happy these days.
  17. MKG

“Venlafaxine withdrawal symptoms include anxiety, fatigue, dizziness, headache, insomnia, visual hallucinations, tremors, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, blurred vision, electric jolting zaps, joint and muscle pain, restlessness, tingling sensations, fever, flu symptoms, abdominal discomfort...
  18. MKG

Read the original post, haven’t read any replies, just wanted to share my experience with the OP. I’ve struggled with major depression and anxiety since around puberty as well. They put me on med after med, trying to find one that worked. This was before they realized that anti-depressants and...
  19. MKG

Ever swear you'll not do DIY audio again?

I keep some working manufacturer built amps and receivers around for when I decide I need to work on my diy stuff. :) the only builds that get parted out are the ones that disappoint me.
  20. MKG

What is this funky little tool

Loading ramp for r/c models. Kinda kills the mood if you hafta actually pick up your r/c atv to load it into the back of your r/c pickup truck. You’re missing one though.
  21. MKG

hafler dh-200 issues

I should probably also note that I’ve also replaced all diodes and caps. This wasn’t supposed to be a shotgun approach but apparently it’s devolved into one. :(
  22. MKG

hafler dh-200 issues

alright, so- I've got two of these. both were working fine. I had installed a bridging kit and they worked fine after that, I then decided that I wanted to go back to two two channel amps. removed bridging kit. One is working fine. the other, I decided to go ahead and replace input/output jacks...
  23. MKG

I know that this won't end LOL

Welcome to AK! I’m a fan of Behringer gear in my studio rig.
  24. MKG

Opinions on price paid for a package

May not be what you were referring to, but still worthwhile upgrade/updating bits for the OP: https://www.updatemydynaco.com/
  25. MKG

Scored the hoard!

That looks like hours and hours of fun! I’m looking forward to a proper list of your acquisitions!
Back
Top Bottom