Search results

1. G

Amazon Music HD now has Exclusive Mode on Windows/Mac

I don't know about you guys, but I've been trialing amazon HD and Tidal just sounds so much better, like noticeably so. I don't know why and I wish it wasn't the case cause it's more expensive. My wife said the same when I demo'd them for her too. I hear no difference with Amazon HD exclusive...
  2. G

Restoring KEF 105 Mark 1

Sorry, disregard that last. I figured it out. I'm an idiot. I didn't mount the boards down tight enough I guess for the crossover to make a connection to the mid driver. Wish I figured that out hours ago but oh well. Thanks for the help.
  3. G

Restoring KEF 105 Mark 1

Thanks, the second schematic is correct for what I have. Here are my voltage readings on the schematic. L3 and C5 have much higher than normal voltages than the rest. Are these potentially the problem children? It's just weird that both of my mid drivers won't play and the same phenomenon...
  4. G

Restoring KEF 105 Mark 1

Thanks, that was helpful. Thought I found it but nope. Do you know where the mid drivers connect to the crossover? I see the blue and black wires to the tweeter in the top right of the crossover, but I do not see the wires to the mid driver.
  5. G

Restoring KEF 105 Mark 1

So I figured out how to remove the crossovers and I recapped everything but now have another question if anyone feels like taking a stab at it. Before I recapped, only the low frequency and mid frequency drivers would play with the tweeters coming in intermittently. So I figured it was a...
  6. G

Restoring KEF 105 Mark 1

Your Kefs look great! I'm about to recap mine but had a quick question for anyone that knows. How do you remove the crossover behind the mid range woofer and tweeter? Before I start unscrewing stuff, is there any easy way? It looks like it is kind of trapped by the metal bracket that holds...
  7. G

Sony Stereo AM FM Tuner ST-SA5ES Info

Sorry to rehash an old thread, but I just picked one of these up and had a quick question. I am getting a ton of static. For instance, if I just touch the chassis of the tuner with my finger I get bursts of static and I’ll occasionally get it while listening to a station not even touching it...
  8. G

NAD 1020 Preamp Recap Parts List

Yep, I have thoroughly tried to clean the volume pot with deox-it. I also cleaned and resoldered the volume pot contacts to the board. I'm about to scrap the preamp unless anyone has any ideas. Thanks for the help though Avionic. I just don't have the electrical knowledge to properly...
  9. G

Yeah just tried that again, but no difference. It might actually be the volume pot. There is no static in the low frequencies until I try turning up the volume. Would that even make sense though? For example, I can hear music playing with the preamp turned off (I think cause this preamp is...
  10. G

I used these from mouser: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ON-Semiconductor-Fairchild/J111?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvAvBNgSS9LquhFqIGuT0oY
  11. G

Yes, I took the whole thing apart and put deoxit on all the switches. The muting circuit was the original problem with the preamp, but I bypassed the muting circuit transistors (Q501, Q510) and it worked before I recapped it. But, I put new transistors in there when I did the recap so I think...
  12. G

Thanks, that is all very helpful. All my voltages are off (see pic attached). Starting with the fuses which I think should be -20v and +20v, I am reading -25.6 and +25.6. Is that high or is there a tolerance for that? Accordingly, everything else is off throughout the board.
  13. G

I'm still having trouble with this. Again, I've recapped the whole preamp and put in new resistors. I'm getting 200mv out of both my pre-outs though which is not good. Behind the fuses I'm getting around 25v which I think is normal. I don't know how to read a schematic and diagnose this...
  14. G

I've finally finished the recap and put in all new resistors. Unfortunately, the amp is still not working properly. I can hear music playing faintly in the background and there are big static bursts when the bass kicks in. Does anyone know if there are some standard checks I can do to help...
  15. G

Thank you
  16. G

I finally have gotten around to restoring my NAD 1020. It has been sloppy and slow going but almost have done everything. Praying it will work once done. I'm running into a couple problems though. The preamp is so old the copper tracing has been coming up and the fuse clips have snapped off...
  17. G

Yeah exactly. Thanks for the advice. I have a service manual so know all the parts I need just wasn’t sure which would be best to get. Did you replace all the electrolytics with films? Did you use 1% metal film for the new resistors? I’ve looked at numerous threads here and elsewhere but...
  18. G

Any idea how to go about pulling this headphone pcb off? There’s some caps on the underside I was going to replace. Also, that blue piece to the right of the headphone board looks like it might be leaking. It’s attached to the power switch. Any idea what that is so I can replace? Thanks...
  19. G

gotcha
  20. G

Haha got it. Ok thanks. What is the reasoning to use film for only 4.7uF or smaller? Just due to size constraints?
  21. G

Thanks for the reply. That is helpful. So assuming the signal path is the bold line, and making some educated guesses, the signal path caps are C401/402, C505/506, C507/508, C519/520, and C305/306 (highlighted on the attachment). I'd just buy low leakage caps for those? For the PSU I've...
  22. G

Hi, I'm looking to recap an old NAD 1020. Just wanted to see if anyone here had a parts list to make it easy. I'm pretty much a noob at this. I can use the soldering iron and match up values, but that is about the extent of it. I've read that one should use low leakage caps for caps in the...
  23. G

KEF 103.2 budget crossover Rebuild

Great post. Couple questions for you if you don’t mind: 1) once rebuilt, is there a way to check the crossover is working properly before hooking it up and putting back in the enclosure? I have a digital multimeter but not a fluke. 2) what’s the best way to clean the corrosion? Just...
  24. G

KEF 103.2 Recap Question

So I pulled the crossover. Not so lucky. Corrosion ate right through the traces. Pics of before and after are below. So to fix this I have to solder some capacitor leads where the traces were?
  25. G

KEF 103.2 Recap Question

Got it, thanks. Guess I’ll have to see how bad it is. One more question for you guys, which recap would you do and will there be a big difference between them? I’ve see three ways so far: 1) falcon acoustics 2) Lee sonic’s 3) budget recap build (link below)...
Back
Top Bottom