Search results

1. osageaudio

This forum should be renamed.

The vast majority of people who might have posted in this forum have gone to other discussion forums, including one formed by former members from here, where discussion is more civil in general. You may want to try that one. You may find it to be a breath of fresh air. Happy listening.
  2. osageaudio

Kimber Kable Hero: What's under the cover?

Hi Rob-F, You shouldn't see any bare copper through the TechFlex sheath. What you probably see is that some of the conductors are in a clear Teflon jacket. Some years ago Kimber quit using colored Teflon because they noticed that the dye in the Teflon would end up migrating onto the surface...
  3. osageaudio

Kimber Kable Hero: What's under the cover?

Hi Rob-F, If I'm reading through the sentence structure and grammar of bare correctly, then he pretty much hit the description. Kimber uses their braiding technic for shielding on their lower priced models. I guess it's fairly effective when compared to other products in the same price range...
  4. osageaudio

Vintage Audio FAD - colored sound that's low-fi

I'll address a couple of things here and then I'm out. I don't have much patience for the juvenile arguing and whining that goes on around here. Obviously some peoples' lives revolve around it. When I state something it's based on facts, not what someone told me or what I read on the...
  5. osageaudio

Vintage Audio FAD - colored sound that's low-fi

Bodyblue wrote: "Have you ever owned an S Class? Especially ones built from 1990-2010? They were some of the most un-reliable piles of shite ever put on wheels. They rode and drove very nice, when they were not in the shop. The use of that comparison was not a good one." We owned two...
  6. osageaudio

Stereophile: Pay your Bill???

I'll chip in here with some information on how magazine subscriptions, and many magazine subscriptions work. Stereophile, like nearly all magazines, if not all, use a subscription service to sell subscriptions. Stereophile uses the same one that the vast majority of other magazines use...
  7. osageaudio

Every Time I Convince Myself Cables Cost Crazy Money I Find I Cant Agree With Myself

I'd like to clear something else up. There was a poster here who seemed to have the idea that rich people buy better or higher priced cables and seemed to take offense to that. While some do I can say for sure that most of the people who buy any new stereo equipment today are pretty much...
  8. osageaudio

Every Time I Convince Myself Cables Cost Crazy Money I Find I Cant Agree With Myself

Hi JP, Let me put it this way - if there was any common-mode noise present, then it was the same in level whether XLR or RCA cables were used in a preamp/amp system that has dual differential circuits for the XLR connectors. I don't know why that was and the physics professor, who has a PhD in...
  9. osageaudio

Hi JP, Of course that's correct, and that's what I was writing about. If there was some other issue in the system producing ground noise you wouldn't fix that by replacing a cable unless the cable was bad. I assumed that everyone understood that. 4-2-7 -- the system was set to unity gain in...
  10. osageaudio

Hi Todd Dodds, I can report on one comparison that I have made with an instrument test. I've got a demo system with a Unison Research UNICO PRE linestage and UNICO DM power amplifier where both components are dual differential designs on the XLR side and they also have RCA jacks. I compared...
  11. osageaudio

Hi Todd Dodds, Every McIntosh product I've seen with XLR sockets had dual differential circuits. So you would be covered there. Any $100.00 interconnect, regardless of connector type, is very unlikely to have either top notch shielding or a filter network. They are also likely to have lower...
  12. osageaudio

Hi Todd Dodds, I forgot to mention another thing that can be important. Going back fifteen years or so ago, when the whole XLR connector thing went though a period of popularity, there were a number of low to moderately priced hi-fi components that hit the market that even though they had XLR...
  13. osageaudio

Hi Todd Dodds, XLR cables will have an inherently lower noise floor due to the grounding scheme that RCA cables made from the same wire. But there are other factors involved in controlling the noise floor and outside interference problems. In other words, you can find an instance where a...
  14. osageaudio

I don't understand all this stuff about USPS being cheapest to Canada...

Hi Jdurbin1, I didn't write that they were experts at shipping large heavy audio gear. What I wrote is that if you have your dimensions and weight and what the item is, you can go to the post office and they can give you prices and options for shipping the item. I've used post offices in a...
  15. osageaudio

Hi Zunde, I know that can handle quite a bit of weight and package size under the Special Handling Class. The JM Reynaud Orfeo speakers that I sell are shipped to me one per box that is about 60 inches long by 24 inches wide by 30 inches deep and weighs about 90 pounds. So I'm sure that your...
  16. osageaudio

Hi Zunde, I've been shipping boxes of all shapes and sizes through the post office since the early 1980s. Based on your description, what you have there can be shipped through the post office. However, I don't know what the cost would be and I don't know that you can accurately compute the...
  17. osageaudio

Why most women don't like the audio hobby ??

Hi grenadeslio, And I'm not arguing with you. I stating the fact that the vast majority of women I deal with are not buying for someone else. You stated originally, "Many of those women might be buying equipment as a gift for their significant other, this might also account for the higher...
  18. osageaudio

Hi dcmfan, I get your drift. Why worry with facts when you can ignore them to lash out about something or try to convince someone of something that fits your own sensibilities? It ruins an internet discussion completely if people discuss facts. Grenadeslio, What I guess you don't understand...
  19. osageaudio

Hi Grenadeslio, I didn't say that there was more profit margin, I said they bought more things. Certainly some were buying as gifts; they would mention that. But nearly all were asking questions, trying out things, and then deciding what to buy. There weren't calling in a shopping list...
  20. osageaudio

Someone mentioned this discussion to me a couple of days ago, while I was still working on our end of the year figures and analysis. I've got some of that done now that would provide some data that would apply to this discussion. I've never completely clear what someone means when they say or...
  21. osageaudio

Do you think this hobby is dying ??

I find it interesting how there can be some many misconceptions and generalizations about the hi-fi business. Let me lay out a few facts based on information that people in the industry have access to. There are more than thirty hi-fi retailers in south Florida. There are about twenty in the...
  22. osageaudio

Nitty Gritty Pure 2 Users: What is your Plan?

Hi bjhess, Feel free to call or email anytime if you have more questions. I prefer to answer questions upfront for people so as to get them off on the right foot. I had the good fortune many years ago to be in Owatonna the morning of the opening of the Cabela's store. I was one of the first...
  23. osageaudio

Nitty Gritty Pure 2 Users: What is your Plan?

We manufacture both the Audio Intelligent Vinyl Solutions and the Musical Surroundings Record Time products. The Super Cleaner formula is not a complete solution. You have to precede the use of it with the Enzymatic Formula in order to take advantage of all of the cleaning enzyme ingredients...
  24. osageaudio

Stereophile reviews the Outlaw RR2160

Hi Darkblue94, Take a look at posts 72 and 73. Homer4beer is in Australia. A U.S. unit won't work there. Beyond that, as I mentioned, the software packages that I looked at that would be useable to figure shipping costs and process an order for international customers had licensing fees...
  25. osageaudio

Stereophile reviews the Outlaw RR2160

Hi Homer4beer, You may try contacting them by phone or email. They are probably in the same boat as most in the industry with regard to having an online store that can handle international purchases. The software package needed to select a carrier and compute shipping for international...
Back
Top Bottom