Search results

1. Dr. Music

Very interesting Story in Variety about Broadcast Radio

Not unsurprisingly, terrestrial radio is all about location for many of us. I live in an area where actual cities are about 100 miles away to the East, North and South so signal strength is less than ideal. Add to that the fact I live in a rural location with hills around me and you have lousy...
  2. Dr. Music

Thinking of updating my old computer, help please.

As a longtime audio, video and PC geek for decades, I would definitely pick up some more storage. 1.5 TB is a lot, sure, but I just had a 1 TB drive fail a week ago and was WAY glad I had my music backed up on another drive!!
  3. Dr. Music

Anybody using a Kenwood KR-6030 receiver?

Just an addendum here to what I previously posted in regards to the KR-6030. As I mentioned, I really liked the one I had in spite of the corner being dinged up marring the face pretty badly. I like receivers and amps in this wattage range in general - very powerful but not top of the line...
  4. Dr. Music

Your favorite "little" receiver ever?

Sadly I'm not sure of the model number, but it was a little Kenwood receiver, 15-20 watts per channel in the '77 era. I blew up my first ever receiver, a Technics SA-5170 which was a sweetie in it's own right; I took it to the hi-fi shop where I had purchased it as it was still under warranty...
  5. Dr. Music

Anybody using a Kenwood KR-6030 receiver?

About a month ago I paired my KR6030 receiver with a rather muddy sounding pair of Kenwood KL-777a speakers and gave them to my best friend for use at his pool throughout each Summer. It's shielded far away from the water and under roof so that isn't an issue. I had about $100 in the entire...
  6. Dr. Music

How Lo-Fi will you go? Amazing adventures in low fidelity music listening.

I go pretty low-fi at work out of practicality as well as necessity. I walk around with an iPod Touch in my pocket and a pair of Phillips O'Neill headphones atop my head, because I've tried the same scenario with a pair of Sennheisers and found them to not be sturdy enough to take the harsh...
  7. Dr. Music

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Went Goodwill shopping with a friend over the weekend and found an odd looking piece - a Yamaha YST-SW100 powered subwoofer. Slender and vertical, at first I thought it might be a PC sub but closer inspection led me to believe it was indeed manufactured for home audio. Price was $20, so I said...
  8. Dr. Music

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

A buddy of mine has been wanting to put together a sound system for poolside use this Summer. I found him a pair of Kenwood KL-777a speakers at a local pawn for $30 in pretty good shape and paired it with a Kenwood KR-6030 receiver I've had in storage for several years now. Mate them up with an...
  9. Dr. Music

Computer + Audio System= Nirvana

Some folks love the process of getting out media, be it vinyl or CD, and spinning up a great disc. I have plenty of respect for that aspect of audio, but I'm not one of those people - though I love the CDP's in my setup, they are seldom used. My idea of spinning up a great disc is pointing and...
  10. Dr. Music

If you could offer one piece of advice from everything you've learned ...

I leaned this fairly early but it was still somewhat expensive to learn. If you love the components you have, stay with them - give them a chance rather than reading about this or that amp and deciding that you 'have to have it' and swapping out gear. If you love the sound of what you have...
  11. Dr. Music

We are the dying breed ...

I hear a lot of good new music by bands I'd never heard before, but I listen to and like alternative music and it seems like that genre is booming these days. I've also heard a lot of formulaic pap, but the same can be said for AM friendly music of the 70's. Though friends in my own age group...
  12. Dr. Music

We are the dying breed ...

We are the dying breed that still carries along the concept of listening to music on the best equipment we can afford, I'll give ya that, but I'm a baby boomer with lots of baby boomer friends - none of them have a home system worth mentioning, and some of them no longer listen to music at ALL...
  13. Dr. Music

Used external hard drives

I'd buy a used external HD if the price was right. Chances are the drive saw little use - lots of people buy things like this then don't bother using it as they don't bother to take the time doing so. I'd want to see it/hear it operating before I bought it, though. If the drive fails you can...
  14. Dr. Music

What is it about audiophiles and chick-music?

Hell, I like it all. As I've gotten older I've allowed myself to put many initial prejudices aside and just give most all artists and music a chance. In many cases being around people who love certain genres that you have only a passing interest in is healthy because their passion is infectious...
  15. Dr. Music

What kind of car stereos you guys got?

I made sure I have something decent in my truck when I bought it ten years ago but I didn't get fancy by any means. My daily drive to and from work is less than 20 minutes so I figure I'm covered. I have a Kenwood AM/FM/CD/MP3 player in the dash, a set of Infinity coaxial rears and a pair of MB...
  16. Dr. Music

House brands

I also remember Sears' LXI brand - I believe I owned a cassette deck made by them early early on that didn't have a long life span, dropped a channel within a year of buying it. Seems like their receivers might have been built a bit better, but it's been ages since I've seen an LXI component of...
  17. Dr. Music

Technics SA 5470 verses SA 600

I would agree that both series are identical in sound. The 70 series has a classier look than the 00 series, to be sure. If you also have an SU-8080 available I'd be more inclined to go that route.
  18. Dr. Music

List your audio Christmas blessings!!

No new audio gifts this year and really no new equipment added to the system I use but that's okay - I did buy myself a few new sets of on the go headphones and an iPod Touch for work.....streaming radio from all over the world has given me a lot of new bands to listen to I'd never heard before! :)
  19. Dr. Music

David Bowie's 1983 album: Lets Dance...

The great thing about "Let's Dance" is the fact that it was far more accessible to the mainstream - people who either disliked or never gave Bowie a thought liked it, and a lot of new fans came on board because of it. Me, I was a Bowie fan from Diamond Dogs and David Live anyway, but Let's Dance...
  20. Dr. Music

My first pair of Klipsch speakers

Absolutely love my 5.2's. Got 'em at a pawn shop last year for $100 and haven't given a thought to letting them go!
  21. Dr. Music

Who's listening with headphones tonight? To what?

Heading out later for some Christmas Eve festivities with friends involving alcohol and music - and I've been warming up to the evening by listening to my beloved Sennheiser HD600's and playing a smattering of everything, most notably highlights from the far too short Blues Brothers catalog :)
  22. Dr. Music

Straps for 'Tennis Elbow'.

I suffered with this problem for years - and weights were the reason I wound up having tennis elbow as well, to the point where I had to stop lifting when I was 40. I fought it for almost 5 years, daily elbow pain of some nature. Tried all nature of balms, cortisone shots and physical therapy...
  23. Dr. Music

Original owners only - Pre-1980

Alas, the Technics SA-500 I bought new in 1977 was put into storage sometime in the late 80's along with my Sanyo turntable bought in 1976, where they both continue to reside....that counts me out of the still using category.
  24. Dr. Music

Does the music matter?

Personally I think that speakers are going to be a more important factor when it comes to listening to certain genres of music; as for the amp or receiver you decide to use I'm also in the corner of making sure you have enough power to listen to your rock loud if so inclined! Having said that I...
  25. Dr. Music

First Yamy

Whenever I happen upon a receiver or amp brand I have yet to ever own for a steal of a price I jump on it - hence a modest vintage 70's Sansui receiver over the weekend. I've yet to own a Yamaha but whenever I come across one for cheap I'll pull the trigger :)
Back
Top Bottom