Search results

1. R

Mounting a Cartridge to a stock AR XA Headshell

You'll probably need spacers, but I'm not familiar with the Best Audio Headshell. Even if it uses #3 screws, like the original, the shortest screw supplied by AR was 0.183" (4.65 mm) long. The mounting flange on a M97xe is 0.050" (1.27 mm) thick. Typically, on an AR headshell, you'll only get...
  2. R

Pioneer PL-518 problem

Many manufactures include the process to adjust the tonearm height in the owner's and/or service manuals. For some reason Pioneer didn't, at least in the 518 manuals. Here's my procedure: 1. Unplug the turntable 2. REMOVE THE STYLUS !!!!! 3. Place junk record on platter 4. Release tonearm rest...
  3. R

Help from some Stanton experts, please

I agree with gadget73. The D81 Stylus should be on the 881 body & vs. versa. As gadget73 pointed out, measure the resistance of each body to tell what you have. I bet the K7401 body measures close to 1300 ohms & is a 681 body. Here's a photo of the certificate included with one of my 681EEE's.
  4. R

Technics SL 220 Weak left channel

Follow Montycat's advise first. If you still can't find the problem, and assuming you have a multimeter, check the resistance from the pins at the end of the tonearm to the RCA connectors at the end of the cable as shown on the attached drawing. The resistance should be very low and even between...
  5. R

Sony PS-X5 Tone Arm Lift not lifting enough

There's a small hex set screw on the side of the arm lift mechanism. With the arm lift lever down, loosen the screw and raise the mechanism a teeny bit, then tighten the screw. Make sure you secure the tonearm in the tonearm rest. It would be wise to remove the headshell & cartridge while you're...
  6. R

Uneven Platter - Pioneer PL-518

Great! Glad to here it. How are your feet & assuming they're bad, what are you going to do about them?
  7. R

Kenwood KD-1033/AT666E hum

The headshell wiring that you show is correct. Although my guess it that your motor mount cushions are shot, make sure you check out all wiring and tonearm connectors as Sgt Shultz suggested. I'll attach a drawing that will make it easy. Remove the headshell, break off the sharp end of a...
  8. R

Trouble finding .47uf capacitors for turntable

Dingus76, It would be best if you post a photo of the capacitor(s) that you want to replace. The value of the capacitor that you mention is available in a few types and many different voltage ratings. It's very important to get the right cap.
  9. R

I don't get what you're saying. Do you mean "when the needle is placed on a record"? Did you watch the video I suggested?
  10. R

Uneven Platter - Pioneer PL-518

Hopefully, it's not a bent spindle. The motor is mounted on a sheet metal plate. I've seen mounting plates tweaked when transported with the platter mounted. Remove the platter and top plate, place some sort of rigid object under the bottom plate (yellow arrow below). left of the motor (when...
  11. R

Sounds like a mechanical issue to me.... Try this. Unplug the turntable, put a record on platter, lower the cartridge onto record (as is you're playing it). If it still hums, it's probably an electrical issue. If not, it's a mechanical problem. Assuming it's mechanical, Plug the turntable in...
  12. R

m97xe - Worth sticking with? Or time to change?

How did you go through US Amazon to get to Japan's Amazon? It appears that you can go straight to Japan's Amazon but returns might be a concern.
  13. R

Dyanco PAS 3X tone potentiometers

One of my PAS3's had the same problem. I removed the knob, sprayed F5 between the rotating shaft and it's housing and let is sit for awhile. While waiting, I removed the cover and sprayed the contact side of the pot. Later, I replaced the knob on the tone control and slowly worked it back and...
  14. R

Technics SL-D2 question ...

The spindle/platter interface has a slight taper. If you're hand is large enough put your thumb in one slot or hole in the platter and your small finger in the other, lift slightly while tapping on the top of the spindle with the smallest hammer you have. Do not pull up very hard or you may lose...
  15. R

Technics Headshell Identification Request

That is a Technics P/N SFPCC31001K found on SL-D3 and other Technics tables from the late 70's (and possibly beyond). Go to Youtube and search on "Technics SL-D3" and you'll see it in several videos.
  16. R

2 Vintage turntables making weird noises

With your amp turned off, unplug one channel from the input side of the Fono, then turn on your amp and see if it "pops". Try the same thing with the other channel. If no change, plug both cables back into the Fono input, unplug one channel at the input of your amp & see what happens. Make sure...
  17. R

2 Vintage turntables making weird noises

Do you have a different Phono Preamp you could try?
  18. R

Any suggestions for push nut on Technics?

The part you're looking for is used in two places on your turntable. Take a look at the fastener that retains Part No. 60. That's what you need. But.... I agree with cgallery, there doesn't seem to be enough shaft sticking out of Part No. 63 to use what McMaster-Carr calls a "Push-On External...
  19. R

Anti-skating Appears to Not be Correct

I'm with Tozco & AlphaEcho35. After all, if the arm didn't move toward the center, you wouldn't need anti-skate. Here are the instructions on how to set anti-skate on the 5070:
  20. R

JVC QL-10 Voltage Selector

Post #64, 66 & 67 of the following thread may help. https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/jvc-ql-10-question.540238/page-4
  21. R

Conrad Johnson MV75A ... revisiting a pretty old thread for some help !

Replace ALL of the yellow Seacor capacitors. I have a MV-45 that used to have all kinds of weird bias problems. Replaced the Seacor capacitors with Solens and problems solved. Also replace the small electrolytic capacitors (C9 & C10, both 220uf / 10V) near the voltage comparator IC's. I found...
  22. R

How does the KT-5070/5077 cueing lever (vicious damper) operate?

ampman, You may be wise to find an experienced technician to work on your turntable. It's pretty easy to create more problems than you solve. Good luck.
  23. R

New Stylus distortion

Describe your cleaning method. It may be the root of your problem.
  24. R

New Stylus distortion

Double check the tracking force. Make sure it's at 2g.
Back
Top Bottom