Search results

1. abpeep

March Madness - College Basketball 2024

Looked like Colorado St. caught whatever Virginia had - 11 first half points. Longhorns played a terrible game but won to meet the UT with the funny orange... Alan
  2. abpeep

Pioneer PL-518 problem

The adjustment for the lift height is on the lift arm - a set screw on the outboard side of the lift arm. Ortofon shows the height of that cartridge as 18mm, taller than many cartridges ( the AT VM95E is 17.2mm). Some cartridges may be as short as 16.2 or so. The headshell could account for...
  3. abpeep

Uneven Platter - Pioneer PL-518

Yeah, I would think the sheet metal would bend before the spindle. With that top plate off, I would use a straight edge across the top of the motor to see if I could determine a high spot and press on the bottom plate close to the hihg spot. Alan
  4. abpeep

My Auto Repair Shop Messed Up, (Big Time)

I understand this point but also know that this was not the best design for detecting the failure of a water pump, regardless of age/mileage. I have explained the problem with this design to my wife... I continue to have confidence in the work this shop performs. Alan
  5. abpeep

My Auto Repair Shop Messed Up, (Big Time)

I have a Mazda CX-9 with one of those engines. My wife will never believe it failed for something other than the shop failing to fill the oil/radiator/something else... after an oil change. I still take a couple of vehicles to that shop after they replaced the engine but she won't let me take...
  6. abpeep

Grumpy is having a get together, come on over.

I will be there. Anyone of you Austin (and thereabouts) guys would find this a trip worthwhile based on a couple of past visits. A good group, good tunes and good food! Alan
  7. abpeep

Is 256 kbps, 16 bits, and 44.1 kHz “Lossless”?

Most of my digital library is in a FLAC format but I have downloaded some things from Amazon that are 256k mp3. I've never tried to directly compare the same music in both formats but can say that I don't seem to be missing anything listening to the 256K files on my system (see signature). I'm...
  8. abpeep

New from NC

Glad to have you here. Alan
  9. abpeep

Hi from Austin Texas

I think it's worthwhile. It's a pretty inclusive bunch that has some members posting their $$$$ systems to those looking for an entry level turntable. Lots of gear posted for sale ($ to $$$$) before it goes on Marketplace, eBay, etc. Some of the area dealers/techs are members. They've put...
  10. abpeep

Who wants to attend the gathering at my place?

I'm probably in on this, if scheduling allows...
  11. abpeep

Hello!

Glad to have you here. Alan
  12. abpeep

Hi from Austin Texas

Welcome in! I'm located in Buda. Alan
  13. abpeep

Aiwa Ad-6350

Can't help with the manual but glad to have you here. Alan
  14. abpeep

Hello from East Tennessee!

Welcome to AK!
  15. abpeep

Lost My HDMI Zone 2 Out - HDCP 2.2 Copy-Protection?

Is there a menu setting in the AVR to allow for a second monitor/TV?
  16. abpeep

PL-514 Mildly Jerky auto reurn movement

I have used both a PL-516 and 518. I would contend that this shows that the tonearm bearing is free. As shown in the SM for the PL-518 below, when LEVER A is contacted by LEVER D, the tonearm swings free back towards the start. The initial impact probably provides enough inertia for the tonearm...
  17. abpeep

NAS to Node

Been thinking of getting a streamer lately and good to know I can hook to my Synology NAS easily enough.
  18. abpeep

Any cool audio related Christmas gifts?

Today received the Amazon package containing a pair of HiFiMan Sundara closed back headphones. These sound really nice. Alan
  19. abpeep

Any cool audio related Christmas gifts?

I received these for Christmas: My birthday was yesterday and my wife told me she ordered something from Amazon that was delayed. Don't know whether it's audio related or not. Hopefully today. Alan
  20. abpeep

Happy Birthday abpeep!

Thanks to you all! Alan
  21. abpeep

What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

Got my new Parasound A 23+ into the cabinet today running Monitor Audio Silver 300...
  22. abpeep

Steely Dan's "Aja." MoFi vs UHQR.

I only have a copy of the Cisco pressing of Aja and have never really compared it directly to anything else. It has always sounded very good on the various incarnations of my system. A few weeks ago, I heard a system with Avid turntable, Cary Audio amplification, and Piega Coax floorstanders...
  23. abpeep

Recommended pre-amp for Debut Carbon Evo

He meant Sota Pyxi...
  24. abpeep

Just got the 2024 Music Direct Catalog in the mail, and the prices for gear are insane! How much better is this newer stuff compared to vintage?

I have a decent system (see signature) and am very happy with it. Mainly newer gear. I can sit and listen and be happy. With that said, I've heard quite a few systems through the years that sound much better. Some had various DIY amps or speakers; some were high end equipment ranging up to a...
Back
Top Bottom