Search results

1. Poultrygeist

Is gluing a must for building a speaker box?

I'm always looking for deals on more clamps. :D
  2. Poultrygeist

Is gluing a must for building a speaker box?

Not only do I use glue for assembly but I run generous portions down the inside seams to block any air gaps ( ported or not ). Both sides of joints need glue. DIY guys always say "you can't have too many clamps" and it's true. I use original Titebond and not the quick set up glue as you will...
  3. Poultrygeist

Boyuurange A50 mk iii, 300b

The Klipsch RP600M speakers are nice for entry level speakers. Several folks here are happy with the A50 and that's all that matters.
  4. Poultrygeist

With my 98 db speakers I can't tell the difference between one watt and seven.
  5. Poultrygeist

Amps can only sound as good as the speakers they drive. Evaluating one without the other disregards synergy and a possible mismatch. I'm glad the reviewers discuss the speakers they are using.
  6. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist's systems continue to evolve

I picked up a pair of Heils during their recent sale. $150 each sounds steep but that's probably half of what they usually sell for. I was surprised that the Heils came with two pair of high end ESS headphones which I hope to sell and recoup some of my cost. Always wanted a pair of the Great...
  7. Poultrygeist

ESS Heil Tweeters on Sale

Next up for the Heils will be the tiny Rolls active crossover. For home audio it's a better choice than my Ashly and Berhinger. As small as it is I was surprised that it features a sub out that's sums the LF. So far I haven't detected a sonic signature that many actives are guilty of imparting.
  8. Poultrygeist

They don't come with feet so you must add them otherwise they'll mar a speaker's surface.
  9. Poultrygeist

I'm not using an electronic ( active ) crossover yet but soon will give them a go. I have one flea watt amp powering the Heils and a second amp powering the FR single driver Fostex speakers. All amps have volume controls. The woofers are powered by a plate amp with its built in low pass which...
  10. Poultrygeist

Post your man cave oddities

Yes he did with tours in Iraq, Afghanistan and Korea. I should display one of the shell casing from "The Gun" the plane was designed around.
  11. Poultrygeist

I bi-amp and leave bass to the woofers. At a fraction of a watt there's little volume with the Heils. It would be a different story if I cranked up the volume which I think you're warning against. The goal of a good tweeter is to blend and not draw attention to itself and these do that very well.
  12. Poultrygeist

Let's See Your Miscellaneous Car Photos

Wish I still had it. :(
  13. Poultrygeist

Open Baffle Epiphany!

I picked up a pair of ESS Heils during their big sale which may still be going on. Not open baffles but rather dipoles and I'm finding them to have amazing highs. I'm still experimenting in the garage and may eventually use them in an all OB system. Here I have them bi-amped along with Fostex...
  14. Poultrygeist

Post your man cave oddities

Autographed picture of Steve Spurrier and flags flown over Iraq and Afghanistan in my son's A-10. Also a mug from my son's outfit, 74th "The Flying Tigers"
  15. Poultrygeist

The Heils are 96 dbs so why would they be anymore prone to damage powered by a fraction of a watt than any other high efficiency speaker? I take it from your comment that the Heils have no internal filtering?
  16. Poultrygeist

Fosi Audio TB10D

You can check out the youtube review of a 48V used with the Aiyima.
  17. Poultrygeist

Today I'm listening to the Heils running full range powered by their own TPA3116 amp while the Fostex Tektons are powered by an Aiyima with it's sub out feeding the plate amp powered woofers. Only the woofers are filtered. The highs are outstanding and the Neo 3's are't even close. Still plan to...
  18. Poultrygeist

And I need to remind myself that it's a tweeter.
  19. Poultrygeist

I was surprised at how heavy they are. Also with the free gifts of two pair of ESS headphones which if sold on eBay would almost recoup the investment. The tiny aluminum hook up wires were a bit disappointing.
  20. Poultrygeist

Fosi Audio TB10D

The 48V power supply for the Aiyima is not ideal and may be stressing the amp causing it to go into protection mode. I'm sticking with the original lower power supply which makes plenty of power to drive most speakers.
  21. Poultrygeist

Leaving CA...New Hampshire here we come.

I love New England but could never tolerate the winters. In Columbia, SC what fun it is to see our coeds walking to class in shorts year round. Climate is just one of many reasons folks are moving to South Carolina in record numbers.
  22. Poultrygeist

There is NO 'End Game' Perfect System

To appreciate this hobby it helps to understand that the pursuit of "different" can be just as much fun as "better".
  23. Poultrygeist

Is there a switch that allows using multi Receivers to one set of speakers?

On the bottom shelf is one I bought on Amazon. It allows switching between an AVR in 5.1 and a tube amp driving just the front mains. I can use it with a tube amp as it has a dummy load should I forget and leave the tube amp turned on after switching to the AVR.
  24. Poultrygeist

I bought a pair and have been trying them in various set ups. Ran them full range bi-amped atop a pair of single driver Tektons and liked how they augment the top end. Next I'll be bi-amping them using an active crossover. I'm trying to stay away from a complex passive network as they sound so...
Back
Top Bottom