Search results

1. donprice

Most Underrated Album from the Mid-1980s

John Kilzer Memory in the Making 1988
  2. donprice

Most Average 90's/ early 2000's "Hard Rock" Song?

This thread reminds me that I basically gave up on radio, other than NPR, in 1988. I recognize the names of the bands but the music is just a sonic blur...
  3. donprice

Bad Chinese translations make the world go round

Chicken rude and unreasonable sounds spicy! I'll take it. Dare we ask for extra rude or double unreasonable?
  4. donprice

Why is vintage/new JBL so expensive?

The drivers, waveguide, and other parts for the M2 are available at not completely unreasonable prices. Crown amps with the M2 DSP profile are available (other DIY DSP options are out there). The monkey coffin cabinets can be copied with not much more than a table saw, router, and time. The...
  5. donprice

JBL L100T / 035Ti question

It would be a wonderful thing if the OEMs would do a run of these classic tweeters and/or rebuild kits. Or JBL/Harmon/Samsung could do a reissue L20T (or whatever) and produce a bunch of spare parts for the repair market. Until then, SS and others can fill the gap and try to push the suppliers...
  6. donprice

Does the Mini DSP 2x4 have CD compensation built in?

Do you have a measuring mic and REW? Just in case you didn't find this when looking for the miniDSP. https://www.minidsp.com/applications/digital-crossovers/digital-crossover-basics https://www.minidsp.com/applications/digital-crossovers/two-way-crossover
  7. donprice

Now I bring you a Chubby Cable

At least the price is reasonable and is on sale ;)
  8. donprice

L-Series / 43XX-Series Baffle: Smooth Edge Banding?

Melamine edge banding? Right next to the wood edge banding at your local big box store. Not sure if it will wan to take paint well so birch may be better - minimal grain compared to oak.
  9. donprice

JBL L100t question

Boogered-up JBL screw-heads on L100 woofer. Screws were stuck due to corrosion and there may have been a few beers involved :beerchug: A very common scenario, for sure :thumbsup:
  10. donprice

JBL L100t question

I love the using 10-32 socket head (cap) screws to replace the originals. Much easier to torque the screw as needed with less risk of putting a screw driver through the surround :rolleyes: https://www.mcmaster.com/products/screws/thread-size~10-32/alloy-steel-socket-head-screws-8/
  11. donprice

help with picking a horn driver combo or high frequency drivers for my bass box

Have you thought about going with miniDSP (or similar) for an active crossover? Much faster (and eventually cheaper) than experimenting with multiple iterations of a passive crossover. This is particularly true if you might experiment with your LF driver choices. Good luck!
  12. donprice

Receiver for my daughter

If it isn't already part of the plan, don't forget to add a bluetooth receiver gadget for streaming tunes from phone/tablet.
  13. donprice

JBL 4320 Modded with 077/2405 Tweeter - External Crossover Options

Welcome to AK! miniDSP makes some nice stuff. Very handy if you want to do active crossovers and room equalization. stuff to check out... https://www.minidsp.com/applications/dsp-basics https://www.minidsp.com/applications/digital-crossovers...
  14. donprice

A selection between (probably) incomparable receivers (Yamaha, Marantz, Denon)

I am a Yamaha fan so I would go with the RX-V800. I used a similarish RX-V2500 for years and loved it. A rather crude comparison is to look at the weight of the units. Heavier generally means a larger power supply and possibly better build quality. Good luck!
  15. donprice

JBL SR4732A JBL SR4715A assistance

Search for the JBL spec sheets with crosssover schematic and part numbers...not the sales sheet with performance specs. That should tell you how it was new. There is a fair chance that something has failed or been modified over the years. Got a multi-meter? Found this... You can now choose...
  16. donprice

Speakers with questionable "upgrades"... post your findings here.

Woofer #1 looks a lot like a JBL cone with an oversized (?) center cap...and one screen looks like it might be a compression driver.
  17. donprice

My recent DIY speakers and stands

Nice work :thumbsup: My $0.02 worth is to paint the stand hardware black. So...how long before the stands get bolted onto a pair of subs? Speaker building and tweaking can become quite the obsession...I mean hobby.
  18. donprice

Adding on to base AV receiver

Like Bill says, run the XO higher and let the sub do the heavy lifting to keep the Sony and KEFs happy. A second sub may help you get the "slam" or whatever it is you think you are missing compared to the Sansui demo. Remember, your christmas gift has 2 sub outputs so you need to use both or...
  19. donprice

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Are you planning on measuring the response and tweaking the crossover components? If so, you could go with an active crossover (miniDSP or similar) instead of a drawer full of spare crossover parts. Good luck!
  20. donprice

Wife says the JBL Hartsfields don't match. Which one do I get rid of ?

I've got to agree with the wife on this one. Clearly, the feng shui is lacking and this is, sadly, closer to funky town :no: I have a truck and I can help you out of this jam. Send address via PM...
  21. donprice

Streaming system on a budget: Old vs new? Cable vs wireless?

Almost any AVR from the last 30 years will have an optical input....obsolete non-HDMI models can be cheap but you have to do a little work to separate the junk from the good stuff. 20 Kg or more is a good start :thumbsup: A "network" AVR includes lots of functions that you may find useful -...
  22. donprice

Is audio gear designed to be disposable?

Everything is designed to be disposable at some time scale :beerchug: Everything will become garbage eventually.
  23. donprice

JBL L300 Crossover recommendation

Have you considered an active crossover like mini-DSP (Flex 8 or a pair of 2x4) or similar? Once the crossover is dialed in you something like REW (Room EQ Wizard) to dial-in your "house curve" for in-room response. It may not be cheaper than a passive crossover but it gives you a ton of...
  24. donprice

JBL S3100 "Baby Everest" Inspiration for Large Econowave?

M2 parts are available....but not econo :no: https://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/jbl-2216nd-woofer-for-jbl-m2-5041785/
  25. donprice

Are these worth saving?

I would call these "learning" speakers. If the kid is curious about audio, these are perfect to take apart and see how they were constructed. Are they stuffed/lined? What does the crossover look like? Is that really a tweeter or is it fake? Destructive testing is always an option as a...
Back
Top Bottom