Search results

1. AvFan

Ultra high spec. opamp MC/MM phono, warp "elliptic" filter, line, headphone amps.

Thanks! I'll take a look at those enclosures. Correct me if I'm wrong but are the six selectable loading resistors (along with mandatory 100kOhm) in the upper right corner?
  2. AvFan

Ultra high spec. opamp MC/MM phono, warp "elliptic" filter, line, headphone amps.

Very good news! Based upon the size of the board it seems that a standard 17" wide enclosure might work best. Looking at the board I'm not sure where the inputs, outputs, AC power and front panel wiring points etc are located. Any chance you could highlight where those are on the board? Thanks!
  3. AvFan

All Anti-skating mechanisms are wrong!

This is such a great topic and threads like this do increase our understanding of the dilemma skating force presents. I sold my Audiomods tonearm in part because of the difficulty setting anti skate and purchased my personal endgame tonearm, a Reed 3P. It has variable magnetic anti skate that...
  4. AvFan

What Alignment do you use - Poll

Can you help me understand how you determined that distortion between the null points was only 0.06%? Also, what do the 0.82% and 0.46% distortion figures represent? The fact remains the grooved area of the vast majority of my records ends beyond 65mm from the spindle so IMO managing...
  5. AvFan

@EWarrior : Thanks so much for taking the time to thoughtfully reply to my comments in this thread. Your web alignment tools are terrific and your insights into the whole process are an asset to the AK community. I'm trying to understand how the inevitable errors using these great tools...
  6. AvFan

I set up my newest-to-me cartridge using the Baerwald arc protractor that came with my tonearm. Either I didn't do a very good job or it wasn't the best alignment but I re-did the alignment based upon my chosen null points and it now sounds better to me. Placebo effect? Maybe. I vaguely...
  7. AvFan

The Technics gauge is a good tool and its level of accuracy may be all that is needed. I just wonder how accurate can the alignment be set using an arc protractor and if off how significant are the consequences to tracking error/distortion. Enjoy the music!
  8. AvFan

No, 65mm and 70mm. Vinyl Engine notes the following are the null points as measured from the spindle of the three common alignments: For Baerwald (aka Loefgren A) null points are 66.0 and 120.9 mm For Loefgren (aka Loefgren B) null points are 70.3 and 116.6 mm For Stevenson null points are...
  9. AvFan

I disagree with your recommendation to always optimize the protractor to reduce distortion at the end of longer records. I spent some time measuring the inner grooves of many my records before I used the custom capability of your web tool to develop an arc protractor for my tonearm. I found...
  10. AvFan

Effects of MC Loading

The data you presented tells me RF issues and damped cantilevers at high loads are nice academic exercises but probably don't matter all that much or often. As a practical application Wyn Palmer and others are working on V4 of his phono preamp design and he has included a 7 position dip switch...
  11. AvFan

Effects of MC Loading

So minimizing signal loss is the lone reason to have adjustable cartridge loading? Given that most cartridges fall between 3ohm and 50ohm internal impedance then a range of cartridge loading between 30 and 500 ohms would seem sufficient. I suppose there could be a discussion of how granular...
  12. AvFan

Effects of MC Loading

Followup questions: If loading is really just a matter of loudness, why do cartridge manufacturers specify either a minimum load or a load range for their cartridges? And why is the minimum load typically around 10X the cartridges internal impedance?
  13. AvFan

Effects of MC Loading

I imagine that most folks could not hear the difference in volume with the load at 100R and 1000R as it looks like they are only about 0.75dB apart. This chart matches my experience with my Benz LP-S; I couldn't hear any difference above a certain load. @JP : Do you think this pattern of...
  14. AvFan

Effects of MC Loading

Using a SUT was touched on in the parallel thread to this one on another site and the idea was discussed that there was some benefit to using a SUT. I use Wyn Palmer's MM and MC phono preamps and I did a little experiment with three setups using my Benz Micro LP-S loaded at 750ohms: 1) MC...
  15. AvFan

Effects of MC Loading

I suggest this one as it is the range where most manufactures recommended loading occurs but is big enough to be able to draw a conclusion from the normalized audio.
  16. AvFan

Effects of MC Loading

Thanks to you and @mr_petit for your responses. Hopefully this weekend I will have some time to listen to at least one set of clips.
  17. AvFan

Effects of MC Loading

Discern would have been a better choice than "discriminate" I suppose.
  18. AvFan

Effects of MC Loading

I could be way off on all this but again from the NIH paper: The thresholds for detecting a tonal sound increase as the duration of the sound to be detected decreases at durations shorter than 500 ms, but remain approximately constant as the duration increases above 500 ms. The conclusion of...
  19. AvFan

Effects of MC Loading

Thanks for the link. I didn't see it noted but do you think the sample rate for the loudness normalization is the same as file's sample rate?
  20. AvFan

Effects of MC Loading

I'm want to better understand some of the concepts regarding human hearing that are the basis for the listening tests. I found this NIH paper with lots of good information but I found this statement particularly interesting with regards to this discussion: Sound Discrimination Over a range of...
  21. AvFan

I think it was discussed at one point but I wasn't paying close attention but are all the inputs and output of the V4 single ended or is balanced for either part of the design?
  22. AvFan

Thank you for providing the spreadsheet. I'm going to have to figure out how to replace the column of values that are in order when I change a resistor value since they seem to be the based the original R values. Please confirm the seven resistor values can be changed to create whatever load...
  23. AvFan

You might be surprised. @mkane and I are on board (bad pun).
  24. AvFan

Fair enough. More loading options is better in my book. Thanks again!
  25. AvFan

I know there were a few spreadsheets created to describe the loading options but is there a final one?
Back
Top Bottom