Search results

1. 62vauxhall

Sony TA-1150 DC bias adjustment pot - did it cause problems?

Thank you for the input. Yes, I removed the power amp board for ease of examination and pulled the bias transistor and one of the driver transistors to check out of circuit, Those were fine but I also pulled and checked output transistors and found two of the four contained within the right...
  2. 62vauxhall

Sony TA-1150 - resistor for neon pilot lamp

The 56K resistor worked well enough. If the neon bulb was dimmer than with a 51K resistor, my eyes could not detect it. A problem arose after soldering in that new resistor so I began another thread looking for advise.
  3. 62vauxhall

Sony TA-1150 DC bias adjustment pot - did it cause problems?

Yesterday I thought I was finished tinkering with this Sony TA-1150 amplifier. About 3 years ago I replaced the output transistors and electrolytic capacitors on the power amp board. The amplifier worked afterwards but I was not 100% satisfied with how it sounded. Much more recently I opted...
  4. 62vauxhall

Is the kenwood supreme 600 so good as to let go all my others ?

I owned a Kenwood Model 600 since I bought it new in 1978. It was my only amplifier for a lot of years but then the urge struck in 2009 for something different so I sold it, I drifted back into power / pre combos but could have easily lived happily ever after with that Model 600. When...
  5. 62vauxhall

Thank you to all!. I did not think it would make a huge difference and I am grateful for the confirmation. I will go with the 56K resistor but if it is noticably dimmer than what it was, I'll exchange it for the 47K.
  6. 62vauxhall

The green power on lamp quit working in this TA-1150 because one of the leads broke. Right at the junction of a 51K ohm resistor. The broken leg of the resistor is too short to solder so I need to replace it but I have no 51K ohm resistors on hand. Is there some latitude? I do have 47K ohm...
  7. 62vauxhall

ELAC Miracord 50H - FedEx damage

There were three occasions where I experienced an Elac tonearm head breaking off at the tonearm tube. Twice was my own clumsiness and third was from being transported in my car. I had to hard brake to avoid an accident. . The only way to fix it is to glue or epoxy the tonearm head back onto...
  8. 62vauxhall

Why is a Nichicon 35V 3.3uF so large?

Yes indeed, dimensions were disclosed but it was something I did not think I had to consider. If anything, I figured a 2024 capacitor would be smaller than a 1974 capacitor not larger. Sounds like I got some with a longer life expectancy than me.
  9. 62vauxhall

Why is a Nichicon 35V 3.3uF so large?

I just received a few capacitors from Digikey. Among them are some Nichicon 35V 3.3uF capacitors from the PX series. There was no particular reason for me to request this specific capacitor, it was more or less just a random pick - not the cheapest and not the most expensive. On arrival...
  10. 62vauxhall

Speaker I.D. please

So this transaction morphed from a straight forward sale into an auction?
  11. 62vauxhall

Best sounding pre-recorded cassettes you've come across?

I purchased vinyl then CD’s so have few pre-recorded cassettes. They had a reputation way back when of being low fidelity. Some years ago like maybe ten, I bought a small bundle of pre-recorded cassettes at a church charity sale. One of them was from a Vancouver band - Neopolitan by The...
  12. 62vauxhall

To anyone who has or had a Sony TA-1150 integrated with a "scratchy" volume control.

I went with that “from the front” suggestion for the volume control. The other controls and switches were more accessible so I am more confident of having sprayed contact cleaner where it would do some good. With the amplifier’s front undone, I succumbed to temptation and compiled a list of...
  13. 62vauxhall

Seriously Concerned About my Mental Health

“Distant thunder” was exactly how I described the sound an APT Holman preamp began making after a complete electrolytic capacitor replacement. I was in a nearby room when the sound began. Shortly after I decided to shut a window that was behind a speaker. It was then I realized the sound was...
  14. 62vauxhall

Sanyo speaker replacement foam

I am not endorsing this company as a source of supply for woofer foams. I have never dealt with them and I have no affilliation to it. But the link does include instructions on parameters needed for choosing driver surrounds. From personal experience, I will suggest that the first thing to...
  15. 62vauxhall

Speaker I.D. please

During the 6 hours between first and last post, did someone else buy them?
  16. 62vauxhall

Searching for NAD power amp information

My recollection while in the HiFi biz in the 1980's is that NAD was headquartered in the UK. Designs originated there but production was all farmed out to a number or asian electronics manufacturers. But, by virtue of being designed in the UK, the equipment was considered British despite where...
  17. 62vauxhall

Ultra Linear ULH 100 speakers

I had a vague recollection of the brand Ultraliner when acquaintances offered me a pair of big speakers for free. Just had to hauld them from their garage. They did not remember the brand so I did not know what they were until I got their place. Turned out to be Ultraliner speakers model...
  18. 62vauxhall

How bad will I screw this up?

If that Heathit amp had a circuit board, it would have been difficult. But it was all point to point, The only other soldering tool available to me then was a Bernz-O-Matic torch with a soldering attachment.
  19. 62vauxhall

How bad will I screw this up?

Bolt cutters and blow torch - I like it. In 1968 I built my first Heathkit amp. Assembly was thanks to a Weller soldering gun. Full power was used a lot. Not on every connection but a lot of them
  20. 62vauxhall

Electra 700X solid state amp

That receiver was made by Roland Electronics who made house brand components for multiple companies. I own a receiver from 1969/1970 branded Rolecor which was made by Roland. The back panel of that one has similarities to your Monarch as do those brown PC boards. As is identified on the rear...
  21. 62vauxhall

To anyone who has or had a Sony TA-1150 integrated with a "scratchy" volume control.

Over the past several years, I have picked away at this Sony TA-1150 amplifier and got it working more or less properly. Some new transistors including outputs, new fuse holders, some new electrolytics and a new pilot lamp. This was spread out over time since 2018. One thing I did not do was...
  22. 62vauxhall

Any sense looking for a "higher end" 8 track player?

The only cartridges that I've used a clothes pin when opening, have been those with a metal rivet holding the halves together. The rivet is heated with a soldering iron tip and the clothes pin is used to spread the halves apart as the pin heats up. It takes just two hands to do that.
  23. 62vauxhall

Guess who found a JBL PARAGON at Goodwill!

Tags, decals. badges are easy to come by. I have a pair of speakers with Electro Voice badges. They have Electro Voice components inside but were not an Electro Voice product.
  24. 62vauxhall

Ultrasonic cleaning of picture disc

Unless picture discs are made differently these days, I would not do it. Picture discs that I remember had the graphics, text or whatever printed on a sheet of something (sometimes paper) and that sheet was then sandwiched between two clear vinyl layers that became the playing surfaces. I...
  25. 62vauxhall

Wharfedale W90D - what are they worth ?

A friend got a free pair of the Pro version E90's around 2012. He passed away in 2016 and his widow sold them to a nearby flipper for $650CAD. Shortly thereafter I saw them on display in a local used record / vintage HiFi shop with a price tag of $850CAD. I did not frequent that shop much but...
Back
Top Bottom