B&K ST-1430 Power Amp - experience/opinions?

calabashak

Not a replica, no mask
Wandered by an estate sale recently and had the following conversation with a gent in his 70’s regarding a B&K ST-1430 power amp:

Me: “Does it work?”

Him: “Don’t know – it did when it was put in a closet several years ago. Make me an offer.”

Me: “Well, kind of hard to make an offer without knowing if it will need work.”

Him: “How does $1 sound?”

Me: “For a dollar I’ll take a flyer on just about anything.”

Him: “Well, consider it sold for a dollar. But I have to wonder if you know what you’re doing with something this old – this old stuff won’t work with all the digital things like CDs and DVDs. I almost feel bad taking your money.”

Me: “Yeah, I’ve got a rough idea of how I could use it.”

Hauled the thing home and after checking the offset (2.4 mv in all channels – it has a L, R, and Center) hooked it up to an old NAD for a preamp and some small speakers – all channels work great, nice clean sound, no apparent problems. Cosmetics are good.

I won’t be able to hook this up to a good preamp and speakers for a while, so I’m wondering if anyone has experience with this model and anything I should look out for.

2.4 mV is nothing, so it shouldn't make too much difference anyway, and I suppose if you had it set on AC it would have been much higher. I hope you like your amp, it is probably a nice one!

I had one of those a couple years ago. 105 wpc I think. Fondly remembered by older audiophiles but in reality a little closed in and dark sounding.

I use a B&K Reference 4430 3-channel amp in my system with just L/R hooked up. If that ST series amp sounds near as good, you'll be quite pleased.

Alan

About a year ago my tech let me borrow a B+K 202+ 200wpc amp and it sounded tremendous really excellent and would have kept it but that last trace of darkness wasn't for me.

I have a B&K ST-140 amp (the older version with the silver handles) from the 80's.
While not having the tight bass nor extended highs of say an Adcom 555 amp, it has glorious mids and very good imaging.
When people say it sounds "tube-like", they aren't exaggerating much!
Mine has sounded and worked great since the day I bought it!!

Steve

I have a B&K ST-140 amp (the older version with the silver handles) from the 80's.
While not having the tight bass nor extended highs of say an Adcom 555 amp, it has glorious mids and very good imaging.
When people say it sounds "tube-like", they aren't exaggerating much!
Mine has sounded and worked great since the day I bought it!!

Steve

I have the same amp and a B&K Pro10MC preamp. I "second" Steve's comments.

I'll see your "second" and raise it to "thirds" - $1 for a B&K amp has to be the steal of the century.

I owned 2 Adcom amps when I got my B&K - now those Adcoms are gone and I'm looking for another B&K.

To the descriptions warm and musical,I'll add non-fatiguing - even after hours of high volume listening. This is the only SS amp I've owned that I can say that about.

Yes. Dark a bit but not by much. With klipsch fortes in a small room I too get less fatigue with that slight warm maybe rolled off treble.
Definitely musical. One bad thing is that mine has a bit of a high noise floor. S/N 90 db i think compared to 117 on a rotel I have. Big difference there. These must be mated well. Somehow it appears not all can rest on specs alone because she sure sounds nice.

Back
Top Bottom