What are some good MOSFET amps?

electra100

I am sitting here listening to my Realistic STA-2200 and it has stunning detail even at low volumes. It is very close to the 2100d design-wise, but sounds so much better. Here is my question-what are some other good 'fet amps that I can look for? How high is my 2200 from the bottom of the list of best fet amps?

Very fond of my Tandberg MOSFET amps: 3006A, 3026A, 3016A. There's also the mono 3009A and integrated models 3012/3012A. d

The 3006A and 3026A use no negative feedback and sound stellar. Haven't heard the mono blocks but those also share that design.

John

Getting in to separates will bring great benefits over receivers and integrated amps.
My mosfet loaded H/K PM665 doesn't even belong to the same class as the very affordable Nikko Alpha III.

If you want to get in to mosfet separates, look for a Nikko Alpha III, Hafler or Perreaux amp.

You'll need a preamp of cause, but you can use the preamp section in a receiver to begin with, separate preamps easily out compete integrated ones as well.
A Nikko Alpha III + Beta II would be a great place to begin, but might require a bit of basic service to sound their best.

i would recommend any that use 2sk 1058 and 2sj162 pairs but they are getting hard to find replacements here ..

I cant speak as to were your STA falls into the chain of mosfet amps out there, but i own a pair of Sherwood AM-7040 duel mono mosfet amps that i like very much, loads of power and they run relatively cool which hopefully will translate into longevity, i am a fan of the mosfet sound mine produces, do to them being a bit more power than i need at the moment mine are currently just sitting there looking pretty, you can jut see mine at the bottom of my avatar sitting on their custom built by myself amp pedestals.

I did a search on your unit and that is one FINE looking piece i bet it does sound real good.

Conrad Johnson made some well-respected (and expensive) MOSFET amps. MF-200 is 200 WPC. They had others as well.

Very fond of my Tandberg MOSFET amps: 3006A, 3026A, 3016A. There's also the mono 3009A and integrated models 3012/3012A. d

The 3006A and 3026A use no negative feedback and sound stellar. Haven't heard the mono blocks but those also share that design.

John

Listening to my 3006a right now ... :music: ..:thmbsp:
Actually 3001a,3002a and 3006a ..:D
Regards
Steve

DIY :thmbsp: 2SK1058's/2SJ162's...:thmbsp: Hitachi Lateral MOSFET's
Thats what I did.And they sound excellent. Makes close to 250 wpc.(8 ohm)
load tested at 247wpc before clipping into 8 ohm load @ 1khz
http://sound.westhost.com/project101.htm

Last edited:
Soundcraftsmen made some wonderful Mosfet amps. Pro - Power 4, PCM800, A2502, A5002, and more.
If you can find a Meitner amp, they sound so sweet and pure, and look stunning.

Yep...a brand not that much mentioned on this forum. In holland its well known.:thmbsp:

I absolutely love my Perreaux E2, I can only imagine how insane their more beefy models are.
Here in DK they seem to be fairly well known in certain circles, but few people talk about them on the web.
According to Perreaux, all their amps made after 1975 have mosfets.

MOSFET is a type of FET, so that's not the best choice of nicknames. Just sayin'..

I think Van Alstine products are my favorite use of MOSFET outputs.

http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=169&Itemid=211
http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=131&Itemid=229

A big +1 on this recommendation. I haven't heard a bad MOSFET or hybrid FET/tube amp yet from Frank Van Alstine and his associates, and the ones I heard at the last two AK Fests were outstanding. Some of the B&K amps that gearhound recommended in his post were reportedly copies of early Van Alstine designs.

Back
Top Bottom