$200-$300 budget for DSLR + Lens

Have you tried googling lens compatibility of the T3i?
It might help take some of the mystery out of what will and won't work on the camera.

Have you tried googling lens compatibility of the T3i?
It might help take some of the mystery out of what will and won't work on the camera.
I know what works on this one, but I like hearing feedback from others on what they might have used that worked, or didn't work, or maybe a third party lens has a different zoom range or special feature a Canon lens may not. That Sigma 17-35mm I bought for my Sony has nice optics, but unfortunately it does not interface with the camera properly (the lens is older and has five electrical contacts vs. eight for later Maxxum lenses, and the Sony DSLR). That's the kind of "gotcha" I want to avoid again. ;)

I know what works on this one, but I like hearing feedback from others on what they might have used that worked, or didn't work, or maybe a third party lens has a different zoom range or special feature a Canon lens may not. That Sigma 17-35mm I bought for my Sony has nice optics, but unfortunately it does not interface with the camera properly (the lens is older and has five electrical contacts vs. eight for later Maxxum lenses, and the Sony DSLR). That's the kind of "gotcha" I want to avoid again. ;)

That’s why I personally wouldn’t bother with it. To me you don’t save that much, and it’s not like Canon doesn’t have a pretty comprehensive lens lineup.

If you don't mind the plastic mounts, the Canon 10-18 and the 55-250 are very decent lenses for the money. A used 55-250 IS (STM is preferable if you want to use it for video) from a reputable source with some sort of warranty can be under $100. That's a very decent lens for that kind of money.

Last edited:
I'm looking at used lenses for an upcoming trip. Just wanted to clarify regarding nomenclature as I look for glass. (I'm way familiar with Konica/Minolta/Sony A-mount, but not Canon.)

EF: AF lens...are focal lengths referenced in 35mm? No image stabilization? (Lack of IS is not a deal killer--just curious if it has IS or not.)

EF-S: AF lens for APS-C sensor DSLRs. Do all have image stabilization?

I would check with the professor about whether (s)he really means "DSLR", or simply an interchangeable lens camera. Mirrorless cameras can now do pretty much anything a DSLR can.

You should also look for used.

I'm looking at used lenses for an upcoming trip. Just wanted to clarify regarding nomenclature as I look for glass. (I'm way familiar with Konica/Minolta/Sony A-mount, but not Canon.)

EF: AF lens...are focal lengths referenced in 35mm? No image stabilization? (Lack of IS is not a deal killer--just curious if it has IS or not.)

EF-S: AF lens for APS-C sensor DSLRs. Do all have image stabilization?

All lenses are referenced as if on a 35mm/ full frame body. EF-S lenses are listed the same, but only work as intended on crop bodies. IE, the 18-55 is and EF-S lens but only works properly on a crop body and acts as a ~28-80mm.

Not all EF-S lenses are stabilized. Only if it says it is stabilized. There are several lenses where there is/was a stabilized version and a non-stabilized version. Both the cheapest and pro lenses.

Sometimes the non-IS or non-VR versions of the pro lenses can be a fantastic bargain such as the Canon 70-200 f4. With the more entry level lenses, I'd try to pretty much always go with the VR or IS versions. Both for the feature and the fact that they are newer.

Last edited:
Mainly I am wanting to know the focal lengths. Are the old EF lenses the 35mm-based focal lengths? That greatly expands my search.

The 18-55 lens she has now is indeed the 28-80 equivalent. I am thinking all EF-S lenses need some math to figure out their 35mm-equivalent focal length.

For my Sony body though...damn, those wide angle zooms are pricey, especially the 11-18!

They ARE all the stated focal lengths. It's just that the EF-S lenses only work properly on a crop body and you need to multiply the stated focal length by 1.5x in the case of Nikon/Sony or 1.6x in case of Canon.

The sensor magnifies the focal length, but they are accurate for the cameras for which they are intended.

The Tokina 11-16 2.8 is a great ultrawide zoom Nikon/Canon for fairly little money, esp if you buy used. On a crop body it it will be about the same as a 16-24mm on a film or full frame body which is very wide. And at 14-16mm, it even works on a full frame body which makes it by far the cheapest way you can get a full frame ~15mm autofocus lens on a full frame. Not sure if they make it in a Sony mount.

As said above, EF / EF-S lenses are calculated the same in terms of 35mm equivalent focal lengths. The main caveat is EF-S cannot be used on a full frame body because the rear of the lens will foul on the mirror box.

Focal length is always focal length. Angle of view varies by the size of the image being projected (i.e. the sensor).

https://photographylife.com/equivalent-focal-length-and-field-of-view

If you see two lenses with the same focal length, say 35mm, but one is designed for APS-C and the other for full frame, the APS-C lens will probably not coverer the full frame sensor. This leads to vignetting (black corners).

Last edited:
Yeah AFAIK all lenses are marked with their actual focal length. It’s up to you to determine the 35mm equivalent.

Last edited:
Canon EF-S 55-250mm lens is on the way. Can't believe how inexpensive these are! This one was $56 plus shipping, and looks to be in excellent condition.

The 10-18mm is proving to be more expensive, but I am closing in on buying one I found that is rather affordable. (Usually can't get one for under $200 unless there is something wrong with it, or it's missing the lens caps.) She'll be pleased with these I know, especially the 10-18mm when we head out on our trip in late July. She is taking more advanced courses next semester, so these will come in handy.

Yes, both the 10-18 and 55-250 have IS. :thumbsup: My patience paid off and I found a 10-18 on eBay listed for less than an hour with a "make offer." So I made an offer well below the trending price and it's on the way to me now. I'll probably take her out to get used to the new lenses once they arrive.

I've been eyeballing a Sony 55-300mm for my kit. It's an APS-C sensor lens, not a full frame, but it will give me a 35mm equivalent zoom up to ~450mm, which is beyond what I have now. There was no equivalent full frame lens in the old Konica Minolta line.

Back
Top Bottom