A Short Note On Stephens History (Trusonic)

soundmotor

super modified
I found the following in an eBay auction. It is more info than I've ever seen on Stephens and his company and thought others might find it interesting too -

"Robert Lee Stephens was a loudspeaker pioneer, and one of the important people in the development of early theatre sound systems. He worked as a draftsman at MGM Studios in the 1930s, and was involved in the Shearer Horn System project; he designed and supervised the construction of the multicellular horns. He may be the father of the tar filled horn, although I have been unable to confirm this. Stephens left MGM in 1938 to found the Stephens Manufacturing Company, located on National Blvd. in Los Angeles until he moved the company to Culver City in 1947. The company was very successful, and grew to a large size by the mid 1950s. Stephens became ill and died of bone cancer in 1957. The company continued on for at least another decade, owned variously by Bert Berlant, The builders of the Standel amplifiers, and finally the Utah speaker company."

Interesting. Thanks. I've wondered about Stephens since I heard someone's Stephens driver in an EV cabinet. It sounded good but Stephens definitely isn't a household name.

Stephens Tru-Sonic

I have a Stephens Tru-Sonic Cx-150 Co-Axial free cone 15 inch woofer in Barzilay Cabinet circa 1960.The pictures of the cabs are on the Springfield,Mo. Craigslist.The cabs are almost mint.The pictures aren't so good .But they are to hard for me to move out of my little room.When I pull them out will send pics of speakers.

Back
Top Bottom