Accuphase P-266 VU issue

ekkamai12

Hi guys, quick question which may have a long answer.
I spotted a cheap P-266 power amp for sale. This is one of the old school Accuphase models which can switch between class AB and A.
An issue the seller has mentioned with a photo attached- both VU meters on power up, rest at -30. But they are not stuck, they 'work'.
Is this possibly indicative of a problem with the amp? Or that the meters simply need recalibration?

Attachments

• 20190224_094952.jpg
    20190224_094952.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 25
It sounds like the meter drive circuit if the meters themselves aren’t stuck. There is a schematic and meter calibration instructions available online for that model (unusual for Accuphase). I’d expect that the problem can be fixed, although you might need a good tech

Thanks very much Bob. I'll find that file and have a look, doubt it's something I can fix myself tho. Gonna take a chance on it, if everything else seems ok.

I auditioned the amp, went to audition another amp(Pathos)the same morning, told the guy I'd be coming back..as I'm driving back to buy it, the shop owner texts me to say it's sold.
I dunno what it is about buying hifi stuff in Thailand..

Just like anywhere else when the money shows up the unit is moved on. Sorry for your loss

Was the amp on or off when the photo was taken?

My P300 poweramp has an issue with one of the meters - if its hit too loud with music signal it pegs out at the far right end, and then the meter rests a few degrees more than it should, to the right. It eventually rests back down, but this can be a sign that the needle needs to be secured again to its mechanism. It stays this way if the amp is on or off

If the amp was on, then I agree thats not a good sign - or they coudl just need recalibrating

Back
Top Bottom